• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bored Throttle Body Question.

I dunno how entheusiastic leigh machine will be about jeep stuff in the future. I just got one from him, and it was the 'only thing he had in stock', he doesnt do the adj. map sensor anymore, and when i offered him a bunch of extra core throttle bodies i had, he wasnt interested at all...

Doesnt seem very happy to be doing these at all...

I dunno how entheusiastic leigh machine will be about jeep stuff in the future. I just got one from him, and it was the 'only thing he had in stock', he doesnt do the adj. map sensor anymore, and when i offered him a bunch of extra core throttle bodies i had, he wasnt interested at all...

Doesnt seem very happy to be doing these at all...

ahhh joy...lol

He bored out my '95 m3's tb with a thick plate a few years ago, but turned down boring the 68mm Jeep 4.7l tb a few weeks ago.

I sent Jeff at strockedjeep a message inquiring about purchasing a 62mm TB for my '01 XJ and he said he doesn't currently have anything available. Not sure where to go but it would appear that perhaps 4.0 Jeeps are not a hot market for him these days. I'm really interested in adding this to my '01 XJ as I've already added an aftermarket exhaust and new Cold Air intake ... wanted to add in a new 62mm TB to complete that part of my air management.

I sent Jeff at strockedjeep a message inquiring about purchasing a 62mm TB for my '01 XJ and he said he doesn't currently have anything available. Not sure where to go but it would appear that perhaps 4.0 Jeeps are not a hot market for him these days. I'm really interested in adding this to my '01 XJ as I've already added an aftermarket exhaust and new Cold Air intake ... wanted to add in a new 62mm TB to complete that part of my air management.

He is pinched on time, not enthusiasm.

I can't dispute that. What stinks for me is I have the $$ in hand ready to swap out the TB on my XJ ... but don't have a source for a Bored out 62mm TB. I see BBK makes one but those are going for ~ $250. I may end up going w/one of those but for now I'll hold that money.

I got one for my 90 from Jeff this summer. No issues, no wait. For all you Renix owners living at altitude, you need to do this mod. I've been fooling with my 90 for 22 years. The only things that made really statistically significant differences to performance were replacing the stock clogged cat, putting in a high altitude CPS(I live at 6k feet), and real gas(ie, 100% gas, no winter gas, and no ethanol). I have a Mopar header coated with ceramic, and 2.5" exhaust with "performance" cat and muffler. Before the TB, it made no difference, with other intake mods. With the TB, my mileage is better and the damn worn out engine runs smoother than anyone has ever seen(I do have 4 hole injectors which made no performance difference, but did smooth the idle slightly). This is an engine that is low on compression on #1&#2 cylinders and has blown oil since 70k miles. It's over 160k now, and the TB made a large SOP difference in driving, and better mileage on the highway. I got 15 mpg recently, with 33's, lot's of added weight, 4.11's, at 75 mph at 8000 feet. I'd guess I was at 4500 pounds. And note, altitude effects all IC engine performance at ~3% per 1000 feet.

√ What Fred said. I've done basically the same mods, and while I don't live at altitude, it all came together with the bored TB. I would contact Jeff and ask him when he could get you one. His work with the TB is worth waiting for. This is one item that you have to get while you can.

I got one for my 90 from Jeff this summer. No issues, no wait. For all you Renix owners living at altitude, you need to do this mod. I've been fooling with my 90 for 22 years. The only things that made really statistically significant differences to performance were replacing the stock clogged cat, putting in a high altitude CPS(I live at 6k feet), and real gas(ie, 100% gas, no winter gas, and no ethanol). I have a Mopar header coated with ceramic, and 2.5" exhaust with "performance" cat and muffler. Before the TB, it made no difference, with other intake mods. With the TB, my mileage is better and the damn worn out engine runs smoother than anyone has ever seen(I do have 4 hole injectors which made no performance difference, but did smooth the idle slightly). This is an engine that is low on compression on #1 cylinders and has blown oil since 70k miles. It's over 160k now, and the TB made a large SOP difference in driving, and better mileage on the highway. I got 15 mpg recently, with 33's, lot's of added weight, 4.11's, at 75 mph at 8000 feet. I'd guess I was at 4500 pounds. And note, altitude effects all IC engine performance at ~3% per 1000 feet.
Did you happen to record manifold vacuum for before and after comparison?

No. I checked the vacuum on my jeep and Zac's 97 sometime this summer, before or after the TB I'm not sure, because I seem to have an issue with rear main seals. Both Jeeps, the 97 uses very little oil FWIW, had an idle vacuum of -13 psi. Set up the 4th quarter meet and greet and I'll go measure it just for you. :) And in my previous post, I seem to have missed posting: "and #2 cylinder."

Last edited:
Set up the 4th quarter meet and greet and I'll go measure it just for you. :)
Um, no. You would have to drive your XJ up here, where I can conduct side by side comparisons, under load, at various throttle positions. :D

Waste of time. The only use for vacuum on the 4.0 Renix is crankcase pollution, working the heater controls, and sucking the fumes from the charcoal canister. Shoot, I ran with a slight vacuum leak for years with no statistically different changes in performance, ask Flores, he pointed it out, and I went, DUH. So what's the point?

The point is comparing manifold vacuum at wide open throttle, which is best done under load.

I have to add, and who the **** cares? Are you changing from defrost to vent at wide open throttle every day?

Back