• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bored Throttle Body Question.

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to do this on my xj i already have an APN header, 4 hole injectors, magnaflow cat, flowmaster 44 muffler, k&n filter. I want to get a 99+ horseshoe intake as well but i know the tb is like 59 mm with a 55mm taper at the bottom and people usually remove the taper. I would normally do it myself but a machine shop shouldnt charge much.

Also i see people saying that there throttle body is 60mm or 61 62 63 after boring so which is it? You bore the entire throttle body out bigger and not just the taper sometimes? I figured when i get my 99 intake i could take my tb off and take both to the machine shop in town and get them to bore it to the opening size of the intake since i think thats what people do in the first place. Regardless i dont understand why i see a difference of 59-63mm numbers on boring a tb. thanks.

The intake manifold opening is 62mm so it makes sense to have the throttle body bore opened up to the same diameter along its entire length, and have an oversize butterfly made to match.

alright thanks i guess ill get it bored to 62. It just made no sense to me why i was seeing different numbers, i shouldnt just get it bored to 60 all the way through? 62 and 63 isnt just for stroker motors and stuff right?

Alright thanks for clearing that up.

^Third that. I bought my 62mm throttlebody from him. Even though it is technically the same diameter as the intake manifold bore, the bore itself is not perfectly round, so there is still slight ledges (barely) in one or two spots underneath the throttle body. It whistles briefly sometimes when the throttle flap is opened at a certain position, but I'm not complaining. :D

Ive seen that site but id figure it would save money just to take mine to local machine shop and get bored to 62mm. Do you have to buy a different butterfly valve or does the one you currently have get modified?

Ive seen that site but id figure it would save money just to take mine to local machine shop and get bored to 62mm. Do you have to buy a different butterfly valve or does the one you currently have get modified?
I understand keeping it local, however for the price it can't really be beat. And there is no down time, other than when you swap. Basically, you order your TB he ships it then you swap and send yours to him and get your core charge refunded.
Jeff does it all, butterfly included.......

What he said

Alright sounds good thanks, i figured keeping it local would actually be a little cheaper but i guess strokedjeep it is, looks like its about 100 bucks after returning core.

The only problem I had with my throttle body from Stroked Jeep was that the butterfly closed position was not adjusted properly causing it to jam inside the bore.

Don't think twice. Jeff is the man!
Does he do anything about worn shafts and bores. I have a couple of TBs with shafts that wobble a lot and need bushings.

Back