• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boostwerks Build Thread V2.0

nice, those rear shock towers look almost exactly like mine lol
Just be sure to cycle it carefully before you go all out, maybe flex it out on a forklift little by little so you can check out shock to body clearance. I suspect you may have an issue while fully articulated, but it's hard to say since leafs may act differently with axle swing than my links did (either for the better or for the worse, i couldnt guess).

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

me thinks you should sell those rear shock towers...

That's the plan. We'll offer a "DIY" kit with the bare parts. I am going to thoroughly test them out however before we offer them.

Vanimal said:
nice, those rear shock towers look almost exactly like mine lol
Just be sure to cycle it carefully before you go all out, maybe flex it out on a forklift little by little so you can check out shock to body clearance. I suspect you may have an issue while fully articulated, but it's hard to say since leafs may act differently with axle swing than my links did (either for the better or for the worse, i couldnt guess).

You caught me lol. Your build did inspire me to develop my own tower though. After all It just makes sense on a uni-body.

Before I got very far with the fab work, I did flex test it to ensure the shock doesn't contact the tower. Having the shock position pushed out as far as possible at the leaf plate was pretty much a requirement. Also a 2.5" shock or coilover would damn near require a "full width" axle. :cheers:

I ended up getting upper 1/4 panel guards from JCR. I thought about making them, but for the price I couldn't pass them up. I'm very impressed with the quality as well. Unlike others on the market, JCR actually takes the time to bump form them for additional strength and a better fit.

On the topic of bump forming, the company I work for (Rocky Mountain Westy) received a new toy recently in the form of a 60 ton press brake with a 3 axis backgauge. Need I say the tooling is crazy expensive!

Moar pics of the heep in the rain...

Thanks guys!

That's the plan. We'll offer a "DIY" kit with the bare parts. I am going to thoroughly test them out however before we offer them.

You caught me lol. Your build did inspire me to develop my own tower though. After all It just makes sense on a uni-body.

Before I got very far with the fab work, I did flex test it to ensure the shock doesn't contact the tower. Having the shock position pushed out as far as possible at the leaf plate was pretty much a requirement. Also a 2.5" shock or coilover would damn near require a "full width" axle. :cheers:

Cool, glad someone is doing it. You can fit coilovers without rubbing on stock width axles, however you'll be limited to 2.0's and probably 14" length. I had 16" coilovers in the rear, and it was a damn close fit when i had a xj d44 and 35's. I found that the higher the lower shock mounts are on the axle, the less the shock swings. Mine were at least a few inches above the top of the axle. This works with a triangulated 4 link, but i dont think it will work with a 3 link (i'm not sure if outboard shocks will fit whatsoever with a 3 link and stock width axles due to axle swing) and i'm not too sure with leafs.
One thing i'd suggest is make them placeable further back on the jeep so that you can still use them if you stretch your wheelbase. It looks like you can put them where you want them already, but that was an obstacle for me when i stretched mine.
Also, the side plates on mine were gusseted over the top of the uniframe rail with a plate welded to the floor. I think this helped a lot to keep it from just tearing the side of the frame rail away from the floor. Might not be a bad idea to implement into your design and it should eliminate the need for the cross bar.

Any chance those shock towers will fit an ORI strut or some 2.5" coilovers? I have thoughts in my head and these fit those thoughts.

keep the top width the same and widen the bottom a couple of inches.

The only down side to that is it makes cutting the hole in the fender well a little tricky. It may not be an issue with other apps however, but for the XJ having them parallel allows for a fairly easy install especially if you aren't intending to cut out the fender tubs like I did.

Bryson

I was able to squeeze some more work in this past weekend.

The body work is almost complete. I just need to throw on some filler and then paint.

I also fabbed up some rear bars for the shock towers, which will also double as a lower mount for the rear cage halo.

Now to wait for the arctic freeze to blow over so I can paint :rattle:

You my friend have skills. Subscribed!

TJ

Back