• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boostwerks Build Thread V2.0

Bump fo sum updates.

I'm about to finally finish up the axles that I built a few months back. To start, I decided to rebuild a used D30 true trac I picked up. By rebuilding it, I plan on fixing a common issue they have. The center cone spring system seems to work well, but causes the outer gears to wear against the casing. The one I picked up is no different. Not only does the casing start to wear, but the spring pressure decreases reducing the diff's ability to limit torque transfer. My plan is to machine the casing havles to remove the scoring, and install kevlar shims to eliminate the wear problem. It might sound like a lot of work, but I already have it...and I'm curious. :D

fab019.jpg

A close up of the wear...
fab018.jpg

And the gear face that is wearing against the housing...
fab020.jpg

This is one of the cam bearings that exerts pressure to the gear
fab023.jpg

At the center of it all are two bevel washers that compress once the case ends are bolted to the center section. These washers act like the springs in a traditional LSD exerting pressure to both inner gears. Without them, the diff would operate just like any other open diff. The benefit of having the six worm gears are simply that they allow a stronger 1 peice center section.

fab024.jpg

fab025.jpg

Intermediate Worm gears
fab022.jpg

center section
fab021.jpg

I also fabbed up some rear spring pads, and plan to incoporate a rear sway bar.

fab027.jpg

fab028.jpg

Thats all for now, but I'll have more soon! :farmer:

Update: Well I'm getting closer to the axle regear and install. All parts have been ordered (finally!) and I'm hoping to regear within the next 2 weeks

List of said Parts going in:

Chassis:
HD offroad Front and Rear stiffeners (already installed Ruffstuff main's)

Front HP D30:
Nitro Chromo shafts and spicer joints
XRF ball joints
Superior tube seals
Rebuilt and modded True Trac (see rebuild thread in Mod forum)
4.56 Yukon gears
U bolt yoke
Nitro master rebuild kit

Rear 8.25 29SPL:
Superior production series shafts
New axle bearings/seals
Detroit Soft Locker
4.56 Yukon gears
Nitro master rebuild kit

I will also finally be able to install and test our front Big Brake kit, as well as our rear 11" rear disc kit which we should have available soon.

PICS:

1001.jpg

1003.jpg

fab055.jpg

1005.jpg

1006.jpg

1004.jpg

More to come! I can't wait to get it on the mountain again. :party:

So i take it the rear bumper will have a cut out for the exhaust? I like that setup!

More pics of the CRX please! Nice work on the Jeep. Wonder how well those wheels like grinding against rocks. I should throw my Mugens on the XJ :p

^ Gross. lol.

Legit...

I can't get over the turbo. So sick.

BTW, how many miles are on those tires?

They have about 20,000 on em. I've been pretty impressed by them but the fronts have cupped pretty bad making them LOUD! Pretty sure it's not the tires fault though as my ball joints and wheel bearings have been F'd the whole time.

UPDATE: I picked up my axles yesturday from DutchVdub who did the regear (thanks man!), and started on the install. Everything was going smooth until we got to the point of bleeding the brakes and noticed a leak out of the hardline/softline adapter fitting. I took them off to find they we're 3/8"-24 non-inverted flare fittings which we're supposed to be inverted flare. I hate it when a project is going so well only to be haulted by the smallest of hicups. So the rig is currently sitting on a lift at work while I wait for the correct fittings to arrive. I'll have pictures and more updates later this week!!!

Well I got the front swapped in last week. I still need to iron out the alignment, but everything's working good. The Brake kit stops much better with a "stock like" pedal feel, and the true trac is working nice and quiet. Obviously I'll need to wait to swap in the rear to be able to test out the true trac on the trail, but it should be soon.

I just need to fab up some caliper brackets for the rear and I'll be ready to swap it in. I'll have this rear brake kit available as well after we've had enough time to test it out. Front kit should be available soon!

fab056.jpg

fab057.jpg

Rear disc details: 11 1/4" vented rotors. New integrated E brake calipers, semi metallic pads, 3/8" formed cold roll brackets.

fab058.jpg

fab060.jpg

fab059.jpg

Oh yeah. They're very popular with the hotrod crowd since they are stupid reliable, and can be setup for almost any axle. Both Honda and Toyota started using a similar caliper design and continue to do so. IMHO a rear drum/disc hybrid brake setup is (for the lack of a better word)...retarded! Hence the development of our kit.

Looking good, it's one clean XJ! I really dig the front bumper.

-Alex

lol, I wish. They're just Rotas :(. But they do make great race wheels.

I have just assumed they were Rotas, for the very fact you would be out of your mind to wheel on true Spoons!

Bump fo updates:

- Rear axle install is coming this weekend (knock on wood) and I'll have more pics then.

- Front 12" brake kit is working great and provides plenty of stopping power while retaining a firm pedal (stock 99 MC).

- I've finished the Rear 11.25" brake kit, and can't wait to test it out.

All in all I'm trying to put the finishing touches on it this weekend so it'll be ready for Holy Cross next Friday. :)

Updates:

Things learned... Do NOT use Speedway Motors unless you are a local (NE) and can throw your order through their window. Upon bleeding the brakes, one of the calipers started leaking through the E brake lever. A replacement was sent out, but the box contained the wrong side. A second replacement was sent out and turns out to be the same WRONG side! I was obviously pissed off, and emailed a picture of the correct caliper I needed as it seems to be the only way for them to get the correct part. It took over a week of them contimplating on how to fix my situation, and finally told me their "solution." Eventhough I paid for all 4 calipers, they wanted me to pay for a fifth and then return the others OR return all the others and then they will send out the correct caliper. This is where I blew up and told them to send me a free caliper, and upon finding that it is the correct side and leak free, I will return all the others and get my money back including shipping.

1020.jpg

My rig is STILL not back on the road (2 weeks later) due to their incompetence. You would think being around since 1952, they would know by now how to deal with a customer. :hang:

On the other hand, everything else went as smooth as could be...

1007.jpg

1008.jpg

1010.jpg

1011.jpg

1012.jpg

1017.jpg

1018.jpg

Is the e-brake cable going to run underneath the axle?

Is the e-brake cable going to run underneath the axle?

Yes they do, however they don't hang any lower than the e brake cables on the 8.25 drums or factory discs.

Updates:

So far I've been very happy with the performance of the brakes and hope to start stocking them soon. It's been a very busy summer though and I've only been able to get about half as much done as I had hoped on the business side of things. This Fall into Winter should be different however. ;)

Mods to come soon:

- HD offroad shackle relocation boxes
- Poly performance 4.5" lift coils to match the rear
- Ruffstuff diff covers
- Rear subframe brace with integrated air bumps

I also finally built some sliders, and a nifty mount for my jack...
1001.jpg

1003.jpg

1002.jpg

Back