• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BOGO racing buckets

jdbwrx said:
For those of you who have installed these: Did you run into any issues with the transmission hump on the driver's side?

I bought seats from Carquest a year ago and had to get creative when I installed them. I wanted them a touch lower than stock, but the transmission hump kind of got in the way. Just wondering if you ran into that, or any other fitment issues.

If you use the slider bracket that comes with the seats, it will take about 6.25" or so from the floor to the bottom of their slider bracket to clear the right slider over the transmission hump.

That will have the seat just gently pressing into the foam and vinyl (89 2-door) over the hump. The seat is also just slightly to the left of center of the steering wheel. It's just barely too much for it to go unnoticed if someone didn't point it out. That will also clear the door handle on the left.

My second mount will probably be a bit higher, but I also have to worry about a somewhat short wife driving. At about 6'1" or so, I really like the height: I have no clearance problems with the ceiling, with a few inches to spare. However, I also sit fairly far back, and the rear bracket (about 11" to the rear of the front bracket, on the floor), is only 4.75" high, so there's some slope to it right now.

So, as I mentioned before we tore down one of the seats, cut off the shoulder brace, and re-welded it to a more comfortable location.

This was done to make more shoulder room, which was really lacking. Of all the people (excluding < 5'5") who tried the seat prior to this mod, I was the only one who could come close to fitting into it, and even for me it was still too small. For reference, I'm a bit over 6 feet and a bit under 200 pounds.

The stock seat:
img_8428_small.jpg

With the fabric removed.
img_8434_small.jpg

As I said before, I like the general design of the seat. Both the metal frame and the cusion/fabric seem well designed and are fairly easily modified. The only problem is that the hole for the harness effectively lock the cover in place at the top. Maybe they could be removed but I didn't try to hard. As a result of careless grinding and incomplete shielding, you can see that I burned a small hole in the right shoulder area in the final pictures.

img_8425_small.jpg

img_8419_small.jpg

img_8417_small.jpg

img_8435_small.jpg

With the brace cut off and smoothed:
img_8441_small.jpg

The end result:
img_8449_small.jpg

img_8446_small.jpg

And the old seat:
img_8456_small.jpg

As a side note, even though we tacked it down and check prior to finishing, we went too far. It would have been acceptable with less of a spread, and the foam wouldn't be stretched quite as much: this far was really at the limit without seriously distorting it. I guess that by not having all of the foam really tacked down firm during the test it was protruding more than it did in the final result, causing us to spread it wider in compensation.

If you really need this much shoulder space, you're either seriously into bodybuilding or your overall build will be too large to feel comfortable in the seat base, so I wouldn't recommend this mod or the seat in general for such people. The only potential situation would be for accommodating bulky jackets etc, but even then I think less would be better.

Last edited:
For brackets, we bolted steel angles horizontally between the seat rails through the elogated slots. That's ~ 11" front to back between them, with the open side of the angle both facing forward (and down).

The same setup was used on the floor, with larger steel angles, but the front bracket is open to the front and the rear bracket faces the rear. The front-rear spacing between them is also about 11", so it's simple enough to weld in some vertical elements. As I mentioned, the front will need ~6" vertical, and there's plenty of room in the rear to use a shorter one.

The front right vertical support will need to be offset to the left, where it meets the top front horizontal angle, of course. The right side of the top front horizontal angle will also need the corner removed for clearance with the transmission tunnel.

This was just our first version of a mount, and it will be torn down and rebuilt based on the observations with this one. Considering how simple it is to throw something together (it could have even been done with all bolts and no welding), I would recommend doing the same basic thing before trying to get it all perfect on the first try.

I had mine shipped to my dad's house but he was out of town for the week. His neighbor was coming down twice a day to feed the horses, and he said he never saw a package, but the tracking on fedex's website says they were left by the front door on April 2. I called and they opened a case for it, hopefully I can get these shenanigans figured out.

xj2win said:
I had mine shipped to my dad's house but he was out of town for the week. His neighbor was coming down twice a day to feed the horses, and he said he never saw a package, but the tracking on fedex's website says they were left by the front door on April 2. I called and they opened a case for it, hopefully I can get these shenanigans figured out.

I use to work for fedex. Keep bitching till u get what u want. The courier should of not left your package without your permission.

Yeah, they said they have 3 days to locate the package. If they don't find it I'm just going to cancel the charge through my credit card company.

I got mine in today.
Before:
IMG_2251.jpg

after:
IMG_2253.jpg

I had to massage the t-case hump on the driver's side a little bit, but they turned out good. BTW anybody have a black full center console?

I got mine a couple days ago. At the moment they are sitting in front of my TV with my kids in them. Still need to make some type of brackets to make them work in my 92

Anyone have any pics of there brackets?

DansGreyMj said:
I got mine in today.
Before:
IMG_2251.jpg

after:
IMG_2253.jpg

I had to massage the t-case hump on the driver's side a little bit, but they turned out good. BTW anybody have a black full center console?

any pics of the brackets or adapters you used?

i just used the brackets that held the bench in place and bolted the seats on with 15" pieces of 1 1/2x3/16 flat stock

my buddy got a pair of them and i have sat in them they seem pretty comfortable and seem to be good quality the only complaint i have would be the toyota camry style roll back back the knob is kind of cheep and they dont adjust very easliy with weight in them

I finished fabing the brackets for my '89 power seats for the Racing Seats.
Below is picture of original Power Seat frame, this is passenger side, the driver side mounts are the same. The front is at bottom of picture. The front of the OEM seat measures 9" from the front mounting bolts. The front of the new seats to the seat mounting bolts is 6 1/2 " so had to compensate with the fabed bracket to keep the original position. It could me moved to taste however for you long legged drinks of water.

DSC00040.jpg

Next is picture of fabed bracket, I used strap for most, angle at front for strength. I bolted rather than weld so I could change later if need to adjust height or lateral position. Front is to the left. The seat is centered between the mounting bolts of the original frame so I maintained that position.
DSC00047.jpg

Next are pictures of original frame and fabbed adaptor mounted to seats. I will install after I finish Herculining the floor (current project). My wife did not like me using the guest bed for the finish, however I did not want the seats in my durty shop while waiting to put in XJ.

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

I so need to get me some of these, every since I put the Jeep in the river last sept, the interior has taken on a bit of a funky smell, being that we didn't have any more nice hot days to bake the water out.

The fabricated adaptors are the same for both sides for the power seats in the '89. I haven't put them in my machine yet because I'm cleaning out the interior in order to Herculine the floor. I may not be happy with height etc. If not I can "adjust" the adaptor to my liking. I may weld it together then.

I copied 2lazy2p mounting set up on my 92 power bases and the seats sit WAY to high. At the lowest setting my head is only four inches from the roof. Its a real pain to get in and out.

Any suggestions?

I'm gonna re-design and lower some. Need a little time to fabricate got to work some this weekend.

I find it pretty interesting,everybody bought into this,and yet very little feedback now!Doesn't surprise me though!

Back