• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

body on chassis?

"I'm sure mommy and Daddy will by you a new Wrangler X if you ask nicely"

That is what you said in your first post. i assumed you were saying everything i have was give to me and that i have a free cooshy life. I was just saying that i work for my things. I never said i have it the worst. I know there are many many more people that have it thoulsends of times worse then me. And i know im just a kid. I cant do much about that. Im sorry if me being 17 some how angers you. Im sorry i havnt had to work my way through college yet im still working on high school. I do apreciate being a kid and am enjoying it. I was just trying to say that im not some lazy kid relying on his parents for everything although i do for a lot of things. Im not going to do this anymore. Im sorry if i angered you with my posts. All i wanted was to do was learn about someones idea i had seen. would it really have been that hard for you to skip over my thread. I have to appolagize for my second post I wasnt in a great mood so i said some shit when i should have kept my mouth shut and forgot about it. anyway no hard feelings. Thanks everyone for your opinions. Especialy on me because that was exactly what i wanted when i posted a a question about a body on chassis conversion. Hopefully you all can forget about this thread as i regret most of the thing i have said. Thats all I guess. Im off to bed. Goodnight. Oh and if anyone has some more information or pictures im still interested.

I'm just glad you two managed to work things out and see that in the end, who cares as long as you drive an XJ!:D

I'd try XJdb.com i think it was? They had some good pics of XJ's with home made subframes.

I agree that the frame idea is awful. That being said, I offer an alternative. Why don't you strengthen the unibody to make it better than a frame? I recently bought 20 feet of 4X4X1/4 angle iron as well as 4X1/4 flat bar and plan to totally box the stock lower "frame" with it. While this includes alot of welding, it will be many time more rigid than a stock 3/16" blazer frame.

90KrawlerXJ said:
I agree that the frame idea is awful. That being said, I offer an alternative. Why don't you strengthen the unibody to make it better than a frame? I recently bought 20 feet of 4X4X1/4 angle iron as well as 4X1/4 flat bar and plan to totally box the stock lower "frame" with it. While this includes alot of welding, it will be many time more rigid than a stock 3/16" blazer frame.

Why will it be many times stronger when your material is only 33% thicker?

94xj4x4 if your serious about putting a frame under your XJ. There are proper ways to do so... I helped build Creepers as did quite a few others..

This is not a ceap project..
The way Creepers was built was by designing the frame to mount to the stock suspension locations. The frame rails were attached to the Unibody in several locations, using brackets that encapsulated the Unibody and housed poly bushings to allow some flex between the Unibody and the frame.
The rear of the frame was brought all the way to the rear of the unibody and attached to the rear spring hanger as well. The front stopped at the lower control arm mount. There were 3 cross braces welded to the frame that connected each side of the frame together. The transmission mount and transfer case skid plate as well as the triangulated 4 links were attached to the frame. There was some ground clearence loss with the frame but the 39inch Irocks made up for most of the ground clearence loss. The frame was made out of 3x3 square tubing that was .120 thick.
The buildup of this project took several months to complete due to the cost of the parts and materials.

The second proper way to add a frame to your XJ is to totally remove the Unibody from the front lower control arm mount to the rear spring hanger. Section the floor out and insert 3x6 steel tubing where the Uni-rails were removed.. You will have to section the bends into the frame to match the floor lines. I'd suggest building a Rotisserie if you are going this route...
You will have to fab new mounts for the transmission, suspension mounts and skid plates. The hardest part about doing this setup is that the sheet metal in the floor is very thin and if you are not an excellent/talented welder you will continually burn through the sheet metal. Remember, both the top and bottom of the frame will have to be welded to the floor as the floor is double walled in many places. This will also add to the strength of the body once the frame is welded to the body.

The eaisest and cheapest way to put a type of frame on your XJ is to plate the Unibody with pieces of 3x4 angle iron, 4x4 angle iron as well as some 6 inch flat plate. 3/16ths or 1/4 inch.. There are several people who have done this on the board. I'd suggest you search for frame plating to get all the answers you need.

Oh, and one last thing.. Putting a Blazer frame under your XJ is do able..
I just think there are much better ways to go about adding a frame then just bolting a blazer frame to your XJ. Look around, there are some really talented people building some really kick ass rigs.. You'll not only gain respect by doing things the right way you will be much safer in doing so..

Another refrence that was already pointed out was that Creepers and C-ROk were both in the latest issue of 4wd and sport utility.. Both XJ's have frames under them.. You might want to check this mag out..

Good luck
DaveO

Jeeezuz Chrrrist people, give the kid a break. He's 17, working, and paying for his own XJ, that says a lot in this day. Cut him a little slack.
94XJ4X4 (BTW, the first thing ya gotta do is shorten up that name) you're OK by me. Keep doing what you're doing and don't let people f**k with you.
As for you geniuses out there who never had a bad idea, what the hell? I'm 44 and occasionally have worse ideas than this one. At least he had the brains to run it past people who, supposedly, would give him quality feedback. This is what he got; called names and put down. Reread the thread, very few constructive comments. If it's such a bad idea, tell him why, that's why he asked.
On top of that, it isn't even such a stupid question, he's trying to find ways to fix a problem we all know XJs have, lack of stiffness. OK, this isn't the right way. Again, that's why he asked.
BTW, Fergie, before you get your own kids, you might want to do a little work on your motivational skills-just a suggestion from someone who's gone through it.

:lecture: I think a lot of these hybrids were created to replace a destroyed or completely rusted out blazer body than to build up an XJ.If youve got a bunch of crap laying around why not throw it together to build something you can beat on and have fun with rather than sending it to the bone yard.However I would not take my DD XJ and put a blazer frame under it.:exclamati Just add chassis stiffners or plate it .You see a lot of pieced together rigs around here and in the smokeys.Good luck with your XJ and way to go on doing the work yourself. :cheers:

Back