• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boatsides

I like what you're doing, but honestly if I had doors with windows that didn't go down all the way, it would annoy the hell outta me.
Im hoping I have a trick up my sleeve that will allow me to get it all the way down. But it wont be a unbolt, flip, rebolt thing.

More along the lines of drill glass, cut some glass and bolt kind of thing. :(

I figure it kind of works for right now, so Im going to concentrate on the other stuff before I go back and mess with the door.

Im hoping I have a trick up my sleeve that will allow me to get it all the way down. But it wont be a unbolt, flip, rebolt thing.

More along the lines of drill glass, cut some glass and bolt kind of thing. :(

I figure it kind of works for right now, so Im going to concentrate on the other stuff before I go back and mess with the door.

I need to look at my manual doors again... does the vertical guide attach to the bottom (part that you already cut off) of the door?

Have you bolted the door back up to see if the hinge is going to work (and not bind)?

Billy

I like what you're doing, but honestly if I had doors with windows that didn't go down all the way, it would annoy the hell outta me.
x2

how about some updates? I'm really digging what you've got going on here. Maybe when I learn how to wheel and need something like this. . . :)

Yeah... updates!
biggrin.gif
And can you snap a photo with the door open/off so we can see how high the rocker is compared to the seat?
Billy

how about some updates? I'm really digging what you've got going on here. Maybe when I learn how to wheel and need something like this. . . :)

Yeah... updates!
biggrin.gif
And can you snap a photo with the door open/off so we can see how high the rocker is compared to the seat?
Billy

Sorry guys, Ive had two birthday parties this weekend, and working on the Jeep hung over was not really happening. :D

Billy, I will throw the seat back in and take a pic for you. It wont be perfect, but it might give you some idea.
Edit: The door not only opens and closes, but it also comes off really easily. There is a bit of sag in the door, so I will need to strengthen it more, but the door stuff I will worry about later.

Im going out right now to work on it, so hopefully some updates later tonight.

I mocked things up today using 2x6 and it fit perfect. I had a piece of scrap 2x5 that I set into place, and it was to narrow.

Tomorrow I will get some better pictures of the 2x6 in place, and throw on some 2x4 and 2x5 to show what Im talking about.
So here are those pictures of the 2x6 and 2x5. Shitty welds were ground down and rewelded.
Just the 2x6:
002-2.jpg

2x5 on top of the 2x6. If you dont cut at the top of the body line like I did, there is no way 2x5 will work. If you cut where I did, you will be pushing some of the metal in to get it welded.
005-1.jpg

Just fyi, this is what the inside of a stock rocker looks like. There are a ton of pinch seams and stuff in there. I found it interesting to see how they actually made it. Long sawzal blades ftw!
006-2.jpg

Almost 41* up from horizontal:
010-1.jpg

Got all the legs in. I ended up not drilling through the frame, as I didnt have the skills or tools to do it right. So they will be butt welded to the frame. Should be strong enough, but I was hoping for better. Someone who has more skills then me figure out how to do it and let us know.
013.jpg

I tried a tube notcher, but it wouldnt work for the inner portion of the frame, so I gave up.
001-2.jpg

Here are the pictures for Jeepfreak21.

These are not stock seats, and they have an adapter bracket on them that make them sit up about 1'' over stock. This one is also not resting flat on the floor because I bent the floor up, so imagine it one more inch lower.
011.jpg

Here is the drivers side just for reference. Pardon the mess.
015.jpg

And finally, Im not sure how I am going to work with all this shit. It wouldnt be a big deal minus the whole suspension thing being a fairly vital element of an offroad vehicle.
014.jpg

Hopefully I get something done tomorrow:D

I need to look at my manual doors again... does the vertical guide attach to the bottom (part that you already cut off) of the door?

Have you bolted the door back up to see if the hinge is going to work (and not bind)?

Billy
Sorry, I didnt notice the first part of this question.

The guide isnt attatched to the bottom of the door, but the lower hanger for it sits below the body line I cut at. I just cut the guide and bracket off and made a really bad holder.

I ended up knocking them off accidentally, and realistically, I dont think its even really needed. There is no side play at all, so Im not sure if I will be redoing it or not.

After this weekends comp, my drivers side leaf spring forward mount is fawked.

Id seriously look at re-enforcing yours more than I did mine.

I knew mine would fail, but I expected it to take longer than this.

It'll work till the Cal Rocs in August, but its on borrowed time.

Alright, so this is what I came up with. It took way to much brain power to come up with such a simple idea. I think I need to stop eating glue.

001-3.jpg

I am trying to figure out if I need to add an extra support for the spring hanger box, or if it is just overkill. Thoughts?
003-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

Maybe leave that support out of there and use that as a spot to tie a cage into.

B pillar of the cage will be tied into the leg right in front of the spring hanger box.

Im thinking I will add it. Its not a perfect since I am trying to go onto the side of the 2x6, and the tube is cut at an angle so it is bigger then 2'', but it wont hurt anything.

Small update. This is how it sits right now.
005-2.jpg

I was able to use most of the stock floor. I hammered, bent, swore and pried it, and finally got it in place. Welded most of it up.
006-3.jpg

I also welded up some of the front inner fender. There are a lot of gaps unfortunately, so I will have plug those eventually.
007.jpg

It all kind of lines up!
008-2.jpg

looking awesome man. real nice IMO :clap:

Man, I'm really impressed with how this is going. You're starting to make me want to beat up my rockers just so I can do this. . .

Alright, so this is what I came up with. It took way to much brain power to come up with such a simple idea. I think I need to stop eating glue.

001-3.jpg

I am trying to figure out if I need to add an extra support for the spring hanger box, or if it is just overkill. Thoughts?
003-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

I haven't had any issues with mine... but I am not a very agresssive driver either...

frontleafmount.jpg

Th b-pillar x ties into the front, the stock rear seat support rib was extended and reinforced to tie into the rear leg and provide a bit of structure as well.

I guess most of my pictures have disappeared over the years, but if there is something specific you want to see, I will gladly dig up a picture and post up...

How much is that going to change how you mount your seats???

Back