• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein Bump stops

sallys xj

NAXJA Forum User
Im sure most of you go fast guys are running some sort of Bump Stops but wanted to share these with you.

These are a prototype. These are foam filled bumps similar to the daystar but are bigger and should be able to take a lot of abuse. These were built for me by Joel Ward with Bilstein. Iam starting to get in to the racing thing with the Dirt Riot series and after the first race and my KOH trip that at speeds it was bottoming out bad. So these will be going where the factory ones are. Cant wait to try em out.

If your intreasted and want a contact info let me know:

Tech info for you who care

"Bilstein prototype foam bump stops.

2" travel "jounce bump" filled bumpstop
1" compressed = 400lb
1.8" compressed = 1800lb
1.9" compressed = 1900lb

For reference:
Standard 4" hydraulic bumpstop
Standard oil volume @ 230psi
1" compressed - 255lb
2" compressed - 451lb
3" compressed - 838lb
3.75" compressed - 1960lb

non hydraulic prototypes. Instead of oil there is
foam jounce material inside. The schrader has been removed and replaced
with a micton vent filter which should not allow for any pressure rise
inside the bumpstop. The valving has also been removed from the piston
and replaced with flat washers. Since the foam inside has been
preloaded to assemble the bumpstops, disassembly will not be possible in
the field."

and of course a teaser, stay tuned for the install photos.

423823_405869812761407_100000151745366_1830318_1288192450_n.jpg

426929_410181215663600_100000151745366_1844182_18445605_n.jpg

they look pricey?

My daystars in the front of my KOH Stock class did awesome! I read somewhere that someone had one of the daystar shafts start to bend. I dont see how that could happen, but if so then these might be a bit better on that issue.

I never felt the front on our XJ bottom out with the stingers. This style might not be as good as a hyrdo/pressurized setup, But I would Not take my stingers off and install hydro's, on my Jeep. they do all I need and we were Not easy on it. Even though we blew the new stroker motor on a dry lake bed only 14 miles in to it, those 14miles were all on it...

Nice to see Bilstein adapting to the needs...

Any ideas on possible pricing?

The price I paid may change as these are a prototype. I will say that the price is nice and very competable with daystar stingers...if that helps. If you want exact pricing in a set pm me and I could shot you the contact info for the individual who has been working with me. Maybe now that he has a set built with the foam and test done he may be able to whip out more with ease.

x2.. ultra4/koh stock/stock mod class rules not allowing air bumps
This is the exact reason they were built for me

they look pricey?
Nice to see Bilstein adapting to the needs...

Not trying to bash daystar but i heard about the bent shaft as well. But at the time these were the only ones out there. As for the pricey part i can promise you if you can afford the daystars you can afford these (assuming they stay at the price I got them for). And yes it’s great to see a company adapting/evolving to help us.

Joel is on this board I'm sure he'll chime in on this thread with some more info. they look pretty cool, i'd like to see them again after some miles have been put on them.

I'd consider a set of these or the Daystars out back. I have Prothanes up front and am pretty happy with them thus far.

Joel is on this board I'm sure he'll chime in on this thread with some more info. they look pretty cool, i'd like to see them again after some miles have been put on them.
Yes Joel is a good guy and easy to work with. Very helpful!

Another lame attempt to limit classes, thats done... absolutely nothing.

Ok not sure where you’re going with this..if you don’t like classes don’t compete or compete in a unlimited class. Moving on.
I'd consider a set of these or the Daystars out back. I have Prothanes up front and am pretty happy with them thus far.

I cant wait to put them to use on the front of the xj...

Just talked to Joel.

He's building us a pair now for the back of our car.. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, I really liked the in spring prothane jounce bumps that Cal at team NAXJA ran. Simple and cheap. Thinking this is the easiest/ cheapest setup to use up front.

As far as foam jounce filled bumpstops I made a few sets and want to see results from the field. Pricing will likely be the same as a regular hydro bump since the parts are 94% the same. This mod could likely be used to convert existing hydro bumps (from any manufacturer?). IMO starting with a proven race bump and making it legal as non hydro is a better platform than a non race bump getting beat to hell in race conditions. FYI, the jounce I used was Bilstein part number e4-ap2-z075a03 (2 of these) which is the standard race proven shaft bump for Bilstein coilovers. Trimmed to fit. 3 variable sized ribs allow the jounce to be shortened and the firmer or softer segments used. Tested on a spring poundage tester to verify the poundage ramp up.

-joel

Last edited:
Just checked photobucket, looks like I didn't take many pictures that late in the build (we were running behind, and in a hurry).

We have a 3"x.250" round plate cut out and bolted to the upper bumpstop mount on each side. The Prothane free floats in the coil.

If I think about it, I'll take some pictures tonight.

i tried them out a few years ago and ran as large of a round plate on my bump tower as i could without it hitting the coils and the insert would just chunk and split until it was useless. just trying to figure out what i did wrong.

Similar to what we did, except ours is just through bolted.

Yes over time it does chunk the prothanes a little bit, but it takes years, and doesn't affect their performance.

Back