• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 7100

DSC01599.jpg

6580.jpg

255/70 Valving, Short body 12's. They are great.

OK get ready for a captin obvious question and answer....but what is the difference between short body and standard shocks....? I looked...truely. So is say the SB 14" shock 14"s but with a shorter "throw" inside the body?? Or is a the 14" shock not an actual 14"s? I guess the internal piston on the SB is limited inside some how...yes? Sorry fellas.

never got around to installing some in the front... the XJ is dead now and I've taken a different direction with the MJ. My guess is that for a jeep that's fully loaded they would be great at that valving. I just never went on any outings with much more than a spare tire and some tools in the back.

Last edited:
Im looking into buying some of theses I have a 4.5 lift with a 1.5 spacer so thats 6in of lift how much lift you guys run with 14" travel? can you get a larger travel rating with the short bodies because of the shock body not limiting up travel?

the 14" travel in the rear pretty much means you have to run them up into the vehicle through the floor. search for "shocks through floor" and you'll find my thread and some others.

I had about 5" of lift at the time.

Two words.....Rusting bitches!

anything will corrode, and shocks are in the worst possible place...
when in doubt, wax up a new shock's body... fox recommends just this...

i was in a rush mounting mine, and didnt do that thorough of a job waxing them, but when i pulled one to rebuild it, it came clean 105 percent... BRAND NEW with the exception of sticker wear...

anything will corrode if ill-maintained...

short body shocks are just that, short body, they have the same travel as a regular 7100, but are slightly shorter when extended for fitment....

basically the shock body is designed differantly to accomodate certain people...
taken from http://www.bilstein.com/offroad_7100.php...
part num.. travel tyle valving... RR EXT COLAPSED shaft shaft type
AK7112S 12 Shrader Valve Shock Optional* N 31.34 19.61 14mm Plated
AK7112SB 12 Short Body Reservoir Optional* Y 28.06 16.03 14mm Plated

so if I were doing a front end set up would it be better to have a 10" short body or full? (for driving fast)

so if I were doing a front end set up would it be better to have a 10" short body or full? (for driving fast)

I'm hardly an expert, but I just ordered mine, so I've been doing a little research. A couple things I learned...

The short bodies are only available with the reservoir, so if you don't want to drop the cash for the reservoir, you're stuck with the standard bodies.

The short body versions move the fluid that you would be eliminating to the reservoir (which is why the short bodies aren't available w/o the reservoir), so... there is no loss of fluid, which I assume to mean there is no loss of performance.

You're really going to have to measure your own compressed and extended lengths to know if a short body or standard body would work better for you. It's going to come down to where your mounts are and which one utilizes the space better.

HTH,
Billy

the 14" travel in the rear pretty much means you have to run them up into the vehicle through the floor. search for "shocks through floor" and you'll find my thread and some others.

I had about 5" of lift at the time.
Did you have 14"s on the back of an MJ? I was planning on getting 12" 7100's for the back of mine but I was wondering what you could fit w/4-5" of lift without going through the bed,still sprung under.

The short body versions move the fluid that you would be eliminating to the reservoir (which is why the short bodies aren't available w/o the reservoir), so... there is no loss of fluid, which I assume to mean there is no loss of performance.
The short body shocks have less fluid volume, so they will heat faster, and fade quicker(not talking seconds or minutes, I'm talking hours.). This isn't an issue for a DD/"prerunner" where you just fool around. Most people will get tired after an hour of really beating a rig, and stop for lunch/bear/get out and walk around.

Racing is a different animal. When it's 2 hours between pitstops, and your thrashing the whole way, every little bit helps.(and you can't just stop to stretch)

Anything outside of competition, you won't notice the difference between the short and long bodies.

Back