• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

biggest allowable tire size with stock axles?

So looks like I will be staying with the 8.25 chryco for now cuz of not enough money issues. 33's, lockers, and maybe some better shafts will have to do for now.

No need to get big dude, I know about stickies but I am getting into a little more detail and am trying to figure out if I would need really good upgraded axles, so thanks.

But yea I do wheel a lot. I had a jeep that i lifted with 6.5" short arm RC lift (yes, I know..POS)...but I was a beginner and I learned a lot from that jeep. But okay I will stay away from IRO lol.

nothing wrong with the RC wheeling if you have a locker. it does alot better with good joints in it.

So looks like I will be staying with the 8.25 chryco for now cuz of not enough money issues. 33's, lockers, and maybe some better shafts will have to do for now.

you can do quite a bit with 33s and lockers. I would not run the front locked without new shafts locked on 33s

you can do quite a bit with 33s and lockers. I would not run the front locked without new shafts locked on 33s

There are many people running lockers in the D30 on 33's, especially on the east coast. There are no strength issues, even with stock shafts.

There are also people who seem to break everything, no matter the size of tire or axle and people who never seem to break anything. That part is entirely up to the situation the driver puts himself in and the way he chooses to get out of it.

But a blank statement like that when not applied to a specific situation is wrong.

No need to get big dude, I know about stickies but I am getting into a little more detail and am trying to figure out if I would need really good upgraded axles, so thanks.

But yea I do wheel a lot. I had a jeep that i lifted with 6.5" short arm RC lift (yes, I know..POS)...but I was a beginner and I learned a lot from that jeep. But okay I will stay away from IRO lol.
Can't really help being big, I was made that way. Or was that somehow supposed to relate to perceived personality traits?

Seriously, if you've read the sticky on axle strengths, you're question would've been answered. "Can I run 37s on stock axles" is not a special case. It's covered.

Can't really help being big, I was made that way. Or was that somehow supposed to relate to perceived personality traits?

Seriously, if you've read the sticky on axle strengths, you're question would've been answered. "Can I run 37s on stock axles" is not a special case. It's covered.

I read them, and I know it was kind of dumb to say 37's. I should have known that myself. But 35's? I just wanted to get more peoples opinions...

nothing wrong with the RC wheeling if you have a locker. it does alot better with good joints in it.

I ran a stock dana 30 with pep boys u joints in a locked 30 on 33inch mtr/kevlars for quite some time. It lasted, and i know of many many other people who do the same.

There are many people running lockers in the D30 on 33's, especially on the east coast. There are no strength issues, even with stock shafts.

There are also people who seem to break everything, no matter the size of tire or axle and people who never seem to break anything. That part is entirely up to the situation the driver puts himself in and the way he chooses to get out of it.

But a blank statement like that when not applied to a specific situation is wrong.

I ran a stock dana 30 with pep boys u joints in a locked 30 on 33inch mtr/kevlars for quite some time. It lasted, and i know of many many other people who do the same.
I didn't say you couldn't I didn't even say shouldn't if you read my post I said I as in myself would not. I understand there is a major difference between wheeling styles and types. As of right now I am wheeling on a D30/35 on some heavy ass bias ply swampers and those have been fine :p

I read them, and I know it was kind of dumb to say 37's. I should have known that myself. But 35's? I just wanted to get more peoples opinions...

Again, covered a million times. We go over this same question at least once a week. Nothing about your question is unique, sorry.

i think this question falls in the real of, "if you have to ask, its more work than your ready for."

reminds me of a movie, i forget which:
"man, the gave everything. HJs, BJs, ZJs..."
"whats a ZJ?"
"if you have to ask, you probably cant afford it."

i think the retaliation (trying to be a smart ass) is what gets people in trouble around here.

ive seen a few TJs with super30 kits running 37s. no breakage. though idk how hard it was actually wheeled. others have broken 60s on 33" tires. some will say your going to need 60s, some are happy with 44/9" for 37s. but stock axles... thats illadvised. you should have gathered that from the stickies.

feel free to try it though.

try a more specific question, im surprised no one has done this

:)

EDIT: funny... google search showed youve got the same thread at another forum. rich.

Damn I didn't know I was this much of a pain. Sorry I'm a noob at this, like you were at one point

You're right. And when I was a noob, I searched and read through a million threads, posting questions in the ones that already existed instead of starting a new topic on the same thing that is always talked about.

Seriously, there have got to be 100 threads this calendar year asking "what do I need to do to run 35's on my cherokee?" People never ask about 37's because even noobs know you don't run 37's on a D30/8.25

I'm not trying to be an ass either, I'm just tired of typing the same response over and over when it takes you less effort to search a bit and find the last time I typed it all out.

EDIT: funny... google search showed youve got the same thread at another forum. rich.

right I get bored reading people about people who whine about not searching, its just as common as noobs not knowing how to get the info...then when you try to search you get threads like this, saying just search instead of linking to any actual information....ridiculous

give a man a fish....
teach a man to fish...

have you tried searching?

you want beef stock axles?
- trusses
- sleeve the tubes
- alloy shafts
- 30 spline D30 upgrade
- 760 U joints
- full case lockers
- stout diff covers
- chryo treat the gears

try some of those as search terms. your gears will be the weak link at that point. and most will say for the price of polishing those turds, you could build something bigger. 44/8.8 would be minimum. currie will make you something bolt in, built to your specs. but if your set on polishing your turds:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1049987

lovethread.jpg

i think this question falls in the real of, "if you have to ask, its more work than your ready for."

reminds me of a movie, i forget which:
"man, the gave everything. HJs, BJs, ZJs..."
"whats a ZJ?"
"if you have to ask, you probably cant afford it."

Beerfest, one of my favorites.

Back