• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big brake kit

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to do a “big brake” kit for my new since I haul my boat with it. Cost isn’t an issue. I have 16 inch rims on 4 inch backspacing. Can anyone point me in a direction? Should I go with 17 inch rims first?

The only "kit" out there is Vanco, otherwise just do WJ/KJ brakes. I did it with my 2000.....
P1080478_zpsubtwxyv0.jpg

The WJ's work with 16" factory wheels and some 15" steel rims.

Wilwood sells multiple kits and there are a few DIY combinations for the the pre-1990 knuckles. They have a bolt-on bracket to hold the caliper and pads while the later-model knuckles integrated it all into one casting. If you happen across a set of OEM early-model hubs with a big nut on the backside, they are rebuildable...

Get the older knuckles with bolt on caliper brackets and run 4 piston Calipers with mustang rotors. Research it

Bigger brakes isn't going to transition thr jeep into a tow rig. It's still a jeep it's short light and flat just not a tow vehicle

Towing and jeeps don't belong on the same forums let alone the same sentence

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

This discussion on brakes somewhat hinges on tire diameter. What are you running? It also depends on what size boat? Dingy? Fishing boat?

If you want a bolt on solution, a Vanco Big Brake Kit from Black Magic Brakes.

I highly reccommend them. I run the 16" kit on 15" wheels (it barely fits) it stops awesome. I have 0 complaints. They have always taken good care of me.

I would get in touch with them and see if you can fit the Super16" kit

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/VANCO-Big-Brake-Kits-15-16-Super-16-and-17_c84.htm

IF you want to do some minor fabrication and change your steering and suspension geometry, a WJ kit from SFR is what you want
https://www.stinkyfab.com/products/sfr-basic-wj-high-steer-big-brake-kit-xj

the super 16" kit from BM will have a little more braking, but does not address the mediocre steering system.

Read the descriptions carefully you can't go wrong either way.

I've done two WJ Big Brakes, and converted one to 5 on 5. I did that as some WJ rims came up. Originally I ran some 15 inch Canons with spacers.
My present setup I used 2000 XJ 16 inch aluminum rims. 5 on 4.5. I think they are call the unlimited. I did try some steel rims, but the binded on the caliper. I went with NAPA Reactive and Adaptive pads and rotors. I think you might want to look at Black Magic pads.
Also, look at Cobra Marty's page. He has info on using the Mustang rotors and Dakota calipers. This is a `13 in rotor, so probably a 17 inch aluminum rim. I am looking into using another rotor.
OK, I have used a 07-08 Liberty rotor for my WJ 4.5 on 5 setups. It works good, but you lose about 1/16 on the OD. On a discussion on the Comanche Club board, I started to look at other rotors and caliper setups. The 2002-2006 Liberties have a setup on 13 inch rotors and calipers. It would be a 17 inch rim. This way, the spacers needed for the calipers might remains at 1/4 inch, instead of the 3/4 for the Mustang.

I am also wondering how big of a boat? Also, lift? Gearing? Tires? If lifted what springs? I'd also look at steering upgrades.

Last edited:
Akobono with 15x8 3.75 backspacing maybe an 1/8" clearance. You can't run wheel weights on the bead. I run balance beads
656d2b789c6c4f3bae5730064d4bc001.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back