• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear run on April 6th

Long way it is, especially when coming from Torrance. My father lives in Yucca Valley, so the idea is I'd go get him and his Ranger, we'd drive up 2NO2, and camp somewhere around the meeting place (none of us are morning people, so it'd be best to be right there!

Meeting spot and time

Meeting spot and time:
We will meet on April 6th at 8:30 with trail departure by 9am (plenty of time to get there: I will be driving from Westminster and I plan to make it there early :) ).

The meeting spot will be the beginning of the trail at the staging area:
As your'e going north on 330 and it merges with the 18 look at your odometer. About 2.8 miles north from that spot, there is aroad that goes left. It's called Green Valley Way. Turn left onto it (well it only goes left) and go another 2 miles or so till you come to a road that goes left. That will be 3N16. If you pass a small lake on your left you went too far. Anyways, there might be a sign directing you to crab flats campground and or staging area. As you're on 3N16, very quickly you should come to a parking/staging area to your right. That's where we're going to be.

Set your CB to channel 4 if you can't find us and give us a holler. FYI, CB's don't work too well in the mountains so if you're too far or on the wrong side of the mountains we might not be able to hear you.

I would like for everyone to have front and rear towpoints, (hitch is ok both front and rear) as well as a fire extinguisher, a full size spare and some food and stuff to drink of course :) :). Oh.. lets not forget CB's of course. If you don't have a CB try to get one (handhelds are ussually OK, but if you won't be able to, let us know ahead of time so that we can plan for it.

Btw, it's easy to miss the turn off, so I include two maps. The frist one is of mapquest and second one is one I scanned. Please email me @ [email protected] with any questions.

map.jpg

map1.jpg

Kejtar said:
but I figure it will be a grand opportunity for me to test out my GPS and the new book that I got on order from Frenchie :)

Is that book from Frenchie great or what?!?!

I just got it today and pretty much blew off work so that I could check out all the trails I want to run.

I'll be out at Goffs Schoolhouse <http://www.mdhca.org> that weekend, so I can't make it.

yup

it's prety good :) I have seen it advertised in the united voice last spring (UFWDA publication) and I had it on order but it didn't get printed on time (by may) and I though it's never going to make it.... But now it comes in handy. Sometimes it just tells me what the hell the road I was on at one time or other is called.

Kejtar

Nearest Gas?

So would that be at Lake Arrowhead ? Running Springs ? I'd like to be pretty full when we start.

Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Well, I figure we'll camp somewhere right near the start of the run, that way if we oversleep somebody driving a white XJ can honk his horn! I'll pull out my maps and such and look into it sometime before the 6th (I can't do it THIS far in advance!) and let you know where I choose.

Sequoia
NOT a morning person!

Hey Remi, you posted a link on SoCalXJ for forest adventure passes, would you mind throwing that up here as well, I'll be buying mine tomorrow once I get paid (and get my checking account in order...I screwed up bad this month!

Forest Adventure Pass

Well I guess I am getting old and forgetfull LOL.... Anyways, when in the area, one needs theForest Adventure Pass . It's something that's supposed to supports the forest people, and well, it's good to have (in order to avoid getting a ticket at least). I will leave that to each person to obtain it. I would recommend picking up the one for $30 as it's for a whole year and for all the local forests :)

As far as I know, you can also get the annual ones in Sport Chalet.

Kejtar

Remi,

From the Crab Flats end of 3N16 you may want to reverse the trail recommendation I provided.

Run Holcomb Creek (3N93), or Canada Larga (2N07X) to Holcomb Creek up to 3N14. Both 2N07X and 3N93 has some areas where rocker protection is needed. This is not a radical trail but it does have rocks, and is not good for stock XJ's unless you are willing to risk a scratch & dent.

The easy start alternative from this end of 3N16 is to run up to Butler Peak and back, through 3N12, to 3N14.

The rest of the run can be reversed: 3N14 to 3N08, up to 3N16 again

Over to John Bull's (3N10's) west end and slightly up and over to 3N07, then drive up through the boulder squeeze to 3N32 (look for the mine claim posts and the leaving Forest property signs off 3N07 behind the large spruce tree).

Run this boulder squeeze road north to the 3N32/3N10 intersection (the middle of 3N10) where those that want can run the hard part of John Bull.

Then leave by taking the easiest eastern part of 3N10 to 3N02, back to 3N16, to end the run with a drive over Gold Mountain (3N69) to Highway 18.

This run drives almost the full length of Holcomb Valley Road (3N16) without spending all the time on the Holcomb Valley Freeway (you will know why it's has this nickname when you are on it).

I'll be in BB this Saturday running much of what I describe, but in reverse, starting from the east end of Holcomb Valley Road. We will also be locating the epicenter of the most recent earthquake (somewhere off of 3N02).

Happy Trails!

Dude, Ed, can I have you plan out my runs too! :) At some point I'll be at the camp that Remi mentioned if you're in the area on Saturday...I haven't planned the whens yet though, but I'm flexible if you want to meet up with at least one more XJ (and Ford Ranger). I'll be keeping the CB on channel 4 while up there.

So.. will my jeep make it with 4.5 lift 32's but I'm open and got no protection :(

Ryan, I don't think you should have any problems: You have the clearance and height.... might just have to use a bit of the skinny pedal at times though

Kejtar

hey kej. this sounds like a great chance to meet some of the naxja and socal group,the JV run still sounds a bit crazy from what i read in the links earlier.. i am in yorba linda so i will try to keep an eye on this link and try to tuck in behind for the ride up. i currently have the tow points but no cb, will the fsr walkie talkies work? i have used them many times both on the road and on mt whitney. or is the cb absolutley needed, after leading hiking groups over the years i know how important communications is. thanks
mikeyl
NAXJ member#522
keep the traction side down!

I got a spare handheld CB or two which doesn't work the best but it will work... remind me before we go and I will bring it with me. WHere in Yorba Linda are you? We can Caravan up, as I will be passing you on my way there. FYI I will probably be leaving WEstminster at 5:30 am to get there early so I will be driving by YB at about 5:45.... btw, do bring your FRS too so in case you get out of the range of the handheld CB (or it takes a dive) I can still reach you (I got a GMRS as well as handheld 2m/70cm and both of each work on FRS)

Kejtar

Tow hooks

So, even if I have successfully traversed these trails before, I still need tow hooks?
Anyone have any they aren't using?

Time change ??

Hey Remi:
Isn't the 5th./ 6th. the time change weekend? And if so are we leaving at 0900 new time or old time?
Tired already....
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

I think you're right... but it's 0900 current time!! so if it's a time change the time is supposed to include the time change :)

Hope that made sense LOL

Kejtar

Back