• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear ride on June 8th?

MJR said:
You mean like this Ed ?.

Not quite. The true sluice has a parallel bypass road on the right, as you approach the Y for the Onyx loop. This is found a few hundred yards past the pontiac creekbed crossing. Most people run the bypass road to the Onyx loop, never realizing the true sluice is inside the creekbed full of boulders next to the road.

I think we may need to visit the true sluice?

T Bent said:
Hey Kingsize, I missed meeting you on the SoCalXJ run two weeks ago. You would have felt out of place though. All five of us were driving WHITE XJ's.LOL. We got some stares though. Had a good time. Except John, Radiator hose, then radiator, then boulder/rear side window clash 100 yards from the end of John Bull. BUMMER! Met some good Folks though. Thanks for the info.

Tim B

Yeah i called in drunk....I was doin the technicolor ywan all night. JD & Cokes are good....Str8 JACK is not a good thing. But i will be at this run if i can get my tires on & my new coils in before then. We will see. As for the feeling outta place...lol.....just wait till ya see me...Im covered in tattoos so i feel outta place all the time....hahahha...You get used to it tho....

Robert :anon:

Ed A. Stevens said:
Not quite. The true sluice has a parallel bypass road on the right, as you approach the Y for the Onyx loop. This is found a few hundred yards past the pontiac creekbed crossing. Most people run the bypass road to the Onyx loop, never realizing the true sluice is inside the creekbed full of boulders next to the road.

I think we may need to visit the true sluice?

Actually there is a bypass road to the right of me where we ran.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Mike,

I do recogonize the true sluice in a few of the photos (one with you entering the upper end, with the bench road bypass on the left). It looks to have been paved a bit.

The System Road to the pontiac sluice turn-off is off 2N02 on the west, and the Pioneertown end of Burns Canyon Road on the east. The adopt-a-trail club for the access road used to maintain the actual sluice, to keep the difficlty up, and also do erosion control work on the Onyx loop. Maybe they could use some help on the actual sluice (restore some of the difficulty)?

Back