• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Annual Event - IMPORTANT

Please select if you will be caming or hoteling and if you will be at the AAT.

• Total voters
I will try to take mucho pics and post up right after. I may go up in the next couple of weeks to do some scouting around. and talk to the rangers about the trails. John bull, holcomb creek, gold mountain those are my choices. I would like to do dishpan springs but I dont know if they have opened it back up yet.

Ed A. Stevens said:
Good feedback.

Since the rain everything is a little different (even easy runs like Jacoby Canyon).

We should probably assign trail ratings after the pre-run.

Last time I was up there, 2N04 was black diamond. :D

ryurabbit said:
I would like to do dishpan springs but I dont know if they have opened it back up yet.

If I am not mistaken Dishpan and Deep Creek and other trails on the burnt Western side will be opening back up in July.

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
If I am not mistaken Dishpan and Deep Creek and other trails on the burnt Western side will be opening back up in July.

Sequoia
Well, maybe they need someone to prerun them? I remember reading something about a group prerunning some damged trails for the forest service a while back

Not really a pre-run, but here is what the USFS has said about it so far:

AAT Coordinator said:
Hi Tom!X Thanks for the e-mail.X We're putting together an Earth Day
project scheduled for April 23rd starting at 0900.X All family members are
welcome.X It will be at the Pinnacles Staging Area (located north of Lake
Arrowhead off of Highway 173).X We will be doing everything to get the area
ready for reopening in July.X This will include painting, posting signs,
repairing BBQ's and tables, fixing fence lines, removing trash, brushing
trails, drain repairs, road maintenance on a 4x4 route and having a good
time!

There is camping available (RV;s are OK) and rest-rooms on site.

Ginger Hughes and I are working on a BBQ, raffle and anything else that
will help make this project a success.

If you'd like to be a leader for any individual projects, please let me
know.

Greg Hoffman

Unfortunately that's smack in the middle of our event!

Sequoia

Are there any final plans for the pre-run, like when and what trails? Just trying to plan the next couple of months.

Thanks,

Robert

April 10th? A Sunday? If so, I can't make it. If it is Sat., I can make it.

What time and where?

Robert

Sounds like a blast so I'm going to try and make it. With a pregnant wife and a 15 month old daughter I can't plan too far in advance but I'll mark it down. As for what trails to run the only trail I have done is Deep Creek and that was stock...

Brian T.

I would like more info for the April run to Big Bear. Thank you:)

Lady XJ

Just talked to a buddy of mine who was up in the 2n02 3n04 area riding cross bikes and he said that all the roads are torn up with huge boulders laying in the middle of them. Also, seems that the snow has melted, but there is whole bunch of water and a spot where there was a small stream there is a 3 foot river going through the road now (not sure precisely about the spot he's talking about now).

Sounds fun doesn't it Remi????

Brian T.

Kejtar said:
Yup, April 10th is a Sunday.

Any possible way of doing the pre-run on Sat., the 9th? If not, you guys have fun!

Thanks,

Robert

rpraterxj said:
Any possible way of doing the pre-run on Sat., the 9th? If not, you guys have fun!

Thanks,

Robert
Actually AFAIK Rabbit is working and I have too many commitments for that Sat to be able to get out from it myself. That doesn't mean though that another group can't make a run through there a day before us :)

Kejtar said:
Just talked to a buddy of mine who was up in the 2n02 3n04 area riding cross bikes and he said that all the roads are torn up with huge boulders laying in the middle of them. Also, seems that the snow has melted, but there is whole bunch of water and a spot where there was a small stream there is a 3 foot river going through the road now (not sure precisely about the spot he's talking about now).

Yea, I got hung up in that rut, for awhile, and a half.. I recomend another running to check things out. When I was up there, well some of you may remember when, :wave: the few areas that were not covered in several feet of snow was rutted pretty good.

Edit: I do have a few pics of the rut :mad: and the creek (river).

GSequoia said:
I've been plannign on a hard and not quite so hard group. I don't knwo what all everybody wants to run (Hint hint everybody - that's what this post is about!), I'll make an executive decision though if necessary! I know there was talk about Pontiac when we set up this gig, so I would assume that's a given.

The boulder squeeze is a good way to do the bypass of the nasty section of John Bull, little more fun than just driving back the way they came. My plan would be to hit JB from the East to the West.

Last time we were up there (November) we heard that Holcomb was pretty much gone around the rock garden (Something about erosion near a tree and the trail falling into a ravine) so we opted with 2N07X. If the trail is still in bad condition (would I wouldn't be surprised about) we can still go in from 2N07X. If there's snow still up there 2N07X is still pretty fun, I barly got through it's rock garden!

So all that being said...
What trails do you wanna run people?!
QUOTE]

OK, I have the book titled "Guide to So. CA backroads & 4 wheel-drive trails", by Charles Wells, (Great book!) Here is a list of the trails in the Big Bear/Arrowhead area:

1. Grapevine Canyon - Moderate
2. Willow Creek Road - Easy
3. Dishpan Springs (Deep Creek) - Difficult, was closed in Jan.
4. Holcomb Creek - Difficult (couple of nice rock gardens)
5. Butler Peak - Easy
6. John Bull Trail - Difficult (some say the "most difficult")
7. Jacoby Canyon - Moderate
8. Gold Mountain - Difficult (fun rock garden)
9. Clarks Summit - Moderate
10. Skyline Drive - Easy
11. Heatbreak Ridge - Difficult
12. Rattlesnake Canyon - Moderate

The difficulty rating is straight from the book. The date on the book is 2003. With the recent rains and snow, I am sure any of these trails will provide some type of challenge.

I hope this helps. You can do a search on the web for any of the trails or just ask about them.

Thanks,

Robert

Just bumping this up to get some feedback!

rpraterxj said:
GSequoia said:
I've been plannign on a hard and not quite so hard group. I don't knwo what all everybody wants to run (Hint hint everybody - that's what this post is about!), I'll make an executive decision though if necessary! I know there was talk about Pontiac when we set up this gig, so I would assume that's a given.

The boulder squeeze is a good way to do the bypass of the nasty section of John Bull, little more fun than just driving back the way they came. My plan would be to hit JB from the East to the West.

Last time we were up there (November) we heard that Holcomb was pretty much gone around the rock garden (Something about erosion near a tree and the trail falling into a ravine) so we opted with 2N07X. If the trail is still in bad condition (would I wouldn't be surprised about) we can still go in from 2N07X. If there's snow still up there 2N07X is still pretty fun, I barly got through it's rock garden!

So all that being said...
QUOTE]

OK, I have the book titled "Guide to So. CA backroads & 4 wheel-drive trails", by Charles Wells, (Great book!) Here is a list of the trails in the Big Bear/Arrowhead area:

1. Grapevine Canyon - Moderate
2. Willow Creek Road - Easy
3. Dishpan Springs (Deep Creek) - Difficult, was closed in Jan.
4. Holcomb Creek - Difficult (couple of nice rock gardens)
5. Butler Peak - Easy
6. John Bull Trail - Difficult (some say the "most difficult")
7. Jacoby Canyon - Moderate
8. Gold Mountain - Difficult (fun rock garden)
9. Clarks Summit - Moderate
10. Skyline Drive - Easy
11. Heatbreak Ridge - Difficult
12. Rattlesnake Canyon - Moderate

The difficulty rating is straight from the book. The date on the book is 2003. With the recent rains and snow, I am sure any of these trails will provide some type of challenge.

I hope this helps. You can do a search on the web for any of the trails or just ask about them.

Thanks,

Robert

rpraterxj said:
From the looks of the oncoming weather and altogether the weird weather we've been having year round I have a feeling that the answer to this question is going to be as follows:
whatever is not under 6 feet of snow at the time :D

Back