• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear 12/29 (snow run)

IslanderOffRoad said:
are you guys anticipating chains being needed ON-ROAD this weekend?
I'd really like to not have to drop $100 on a brand new set...
Update 12/27 12:00pm

SR 18
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW
TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM 5 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF SR 330 TO 8.3 MI WEST OF THE
JCT OF SR 247 (SAN BERNARDINO CO)

Check the latest condition here:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

I'm sure our XJ's would be fine with a semi-aggressive tire.

saki669 said:
Update 12/27 12:00pm

SR 18
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW
TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM 5 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF SR 330 TO 8.3 MI WEST OF THE
JCT OF SR 247 (SAN BERNARDINO CO)

Check the latest condition here:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

I'm sure our XJ's would be fine with a semi-aggressive tire.

So I'm fine with Mud Terrains?

IslanderOffRoad said:
So I'm fine with Mud Terrains?

I would imagine so. I'm going to try it with my MTR's.
My tow vehicle has the new BFG MT2's.
*******************************************************************************************
Snow-tread Tires:
The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

Last edited:
Well, I never got around to picking up a set of chains and won't have any time tomorrow. So I am heading up Saturday morning running BFG AT's. If I get turned around so be it.

Right now I am more worried about freezing to death than anything else on Saturday.

88trailcrawler said:
Well, I never got around to picking up a set of chains and won't have any time tomorrow. So I am heading up Saturday morning running BFG AT's. If I get turned around so be it.

Right now I am more worried about freezing to death than anything else on Saturday.
If I end up not going you can borrow mine, they're for 33's. I'm at the 91 and 710.

saki669 said:
I would imagine so. I'm going to try it with my MTR's.
My tow vehicle has the new BFG MT2's.
*******************************************************************************************
Snow-tread Tires:
The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

What r u using to tow nowadays Kirk.....

I remember you used to use a Liberty right?

tcm glx said:
What r u using to tow nowadays Kirk.....

I remember you used to use a Liberty right?

We added another kid to the family so the wife sold the Liberty and bought a Grand Caravan. I bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee for my DD. Its got the V-8, Quadradrive, etc... Tows really well, even up the mountain.

I'll disconnect the XJ and drive it up if the roads are bad.

You coming up or what? It would be good to see you again.

I see you have a CRD! You tow with it?

Last edited:
saki669 said:
We added another kid to the family so the wife sold the Liberty and bought a Grand Caravan. I bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee for my DD. Its got the V-8, Quadradrive, etc... Tows really well, even up the mountain.

I'll disconnect the XJ and drive it up if the roads are bad.

You coming up or what? It would be good to see you again.

I see you have a CRD! You tow with it?
Dont think so. U ballers run the hard core stuff. I cant do all that.

lamula said:
Anyone have a double room reservation at Big Bear for friday night that would like to split with me and save a few bucks? Let me know.
Gary
BA HUMBUG. Looks like I'm not going to see Liddell fight after all, sucks man. Anyway we can still split a room if you want.

I'm out this trip...still gonna be working on my XJ and I don't want to rush it (I know my luck). You guys have fun and be safe!

Kirk (saki669) is in Fawnskin right now (3pm Friday). He said the roads are clear and dry and the skies are relatively clear so nobody should be worried about needing chains.

I am out this trip as well.

Here's the story:
I went to the ER last night. I had to have my appendix removed in emergency surgery. I just got home a few minutes ago.

I woke up yesterday with what I thought was gas. No big deal. Took some meds, but nothing helped and the pain got worse. At 3 PM I called the doctor and they said come into the walk-in clinic. Got there and they told me to go the ER. Went to the ER, thy did some blood work and CT-scan. Appendix was the culprit. They admitted me around 7:00 PM and surgery occured around 10:00 PM. Was in the hospital overnight. On meds today. Everything checked out OK and I was able to eat and hold down food so they discharged me.

I am sore, but feeling OK. Can't do anything for a week or so. So the Jeep will have to sit in the garage until I can get out there again.

Ya'll have fun up there!

rpraterxj said:
I am out this trip as well.

Here's the story:
I went to the ER last night. I had to have my appendix removed in emergency surgery. I just got home a few minutes ago.

I woke up yesterday with what I thought was gas. No big deal. Took some meds, but nothing helped and the pain got worse. At 3 PM I called the doctor and they said come into the walk-in clinic. Got there and they told me to go the ER. Went to the ER, thy did some blood work and CT-scan. Appendix was the culprit. They admitted me around 7:00 PM and surgery occured around 10:00 PM. Was in the hospital overnight. On meds today. Everything checked out OK and I was able to eat and hold down food so they discharged me.

I am sore, but feeling OK. Can't do anything for a week or so. So the Jeep will have to sit in the garage until I can get out there again.

Ya'll have fun up there!
Wow! Well, it's a good thing (as if there is such a thing) it happened at home and not on the trail! Get well!---------Hans

Oatmeal said:
Wow! Well, it's a good thing (as if there is such a thing) it happened at home and not on the trail! Get well!---------Hans
x2! Relax and get well soon.

Holy crap Robert, get well soon pal.

No wonder you weren't home when I stopped by your house yesterday afternoon.

APPENDIX
Ouch! Did you get the three inch cut or the three holes routine?
I DIDN'T listen to my doctor and went "three wheelin"a few days after my surgery and paid the price.Take it easy for a week or so.Feel better.
I am out of Big Bear as well, Family put out a call for help so....
XJOHNNYC I will figure out a way with Cal to get the d44 parts at Rawbrowns sometime at his convenience.
Everyone else have a fun and safe run and New Year.

OK Gary. I'll get them to Cal somehow. Thanks for the heads-up. Now I don't have to lug them up to BB for nothing. :)

See the rest of you guys tomorrow!

lamula said:
Did you get the three inch cut or the three holes routine?

Thanks everyone!

I got the 3 hole routine. I will be taking it easy. I usually have a good tolerence for pain, but I have never hurt so bad as I wsa hurting yesterday.

Today is much better, but it hurts like hell when I sit-up, lie down, or getting on and off of things.... Once I am up or down, it's OK.

Sorry to have "hi-jacked" this thread....

Back