• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear 12/29 (snow run)

JohnX said:
Blow up doll with big red lips?

hotlips.jpg

Maybe if enough of us near-stock guys are going, we could run two trails if need be? Not sure what trails are open right now, but when there's snow they usually close off most of the trail network south (or is it north?!) of the lake. I can't remember, it's been a few years!

At any rate, I'm sure the more experienced guys are used to a variety of rigs on the runs. With a couple spotters and at least one winch, we will probably all be OK.

What do you guys think...would a couple near-stockers ruin the day, or is there a trail that allows us to bypass the difficult obstacles?

xL8 APEKSx said:
At any rate, I'm sure the more experienced guys are used to a variety of rigs on the runs. With a couple spotters and at least one winch, we will probably all be OK.

What do you guys think...would a couple near-stockers ruin the day, or is there a trail that allows us to bypass the difficult obstacles?
Bring a shovel and couple pieces of carpet. They'll make your life so much EASIER (don't ask how I know).

Where do you guys recommend buying "trail shovels"? Mil Surplus? Home Depot? What kind of shovels work well that I can strap on to a roof rack?

xL8 APEKSx said:
Where do you guys recommend buying "trail shovels"? Mil Surplus? Home Depot? What kind of shovels work well that I can strap on to a roof rack?
whatever shovel you get.. make sure it's not flimsy. Someone gave me once one of those fold military style shovels... you can't dig with it, it's just too flimsy. When I go wheeling, I grab a small yard shovel from the shed in the back :D

Kejtar said:
whatever shovel you get.. make sure it's not flimsy. Someone gave me once one of those fold military style shovels... you can't dig with it, it's just too flimsy. When I go wheeling, I grab a small yard shovel from the shed in the back :D

x2, sometimes those foldable shovels can be more of a hassle than they are worth. It's cold, you are tired, you are stuck. The last thing you want to do is fight with the actual extraction tool on top of everything else!

A sturdy "D" handled spade (like a True Temper brand) is the one you want. I always carry an axe, the aforementioned "D" handled spade and a bow saw, along with the requisite high lift jack and strap and sometimes a come-along (poorman's winch)......when I remember to throw it in the truck----------Hans

xjohnnyc said:
I'm in for a daytime snow run on John Bull.

And I'll have a special surprise guest passenger. :)

Discovery Center at 9 am?

So it looks like John Bull launching off at 9 AM sat. morning from Discovery Center who's in? For those of u that feel your junk aint built enough just make sure we have something we can strap to and we will drag ya through,nobody gets left behind......SANTA

4xSanta said:
So it looks like John Bull launching off at 9 AM sat. morning from Discovery Center who's in? For those of u that feel your junk aint built enough just make sure we have something we can strap to and we will drag ya through,nobody gets left behind......SANTA

I will try to be there and maybe with 2 or 3 rigs.

I will gladly lead an easy/moderate run on our Adopt-a-trail and Pontic Sluice, if there's enough interest.
We can always plan the trails that morning as well. Usually a Gold Mtn and John Bull combo fits pretty good in the schedule.

rpraterxj said:
I will try to be there and maybe with 2 or 3 rigs.

I will gladly lead an easy/moderate run on our Adopt-a-trail and Pontic Sluice, if there's enough interest.
We can always plan the trails that morning as well. Usually a Gold Mtn and John Bull combo fits pretty good in the schedule.

I will be there and will take you up on that offer if there is others wanting a easier run also.

As for extraction points i have front shackles and for the rear just a tow hitch.

Count me in! I'll be there either by myself or with one of my XJ buddies in tow (hopefully not literally).

4xSanta said:

I am planning on being there, will have the 10 and 13 year old with me.

Looks like I am going to have to get the snow clothes box down out of the attic!

I'm in.....if my Toyota is welcome:dunno:. Might be a couple of other guys in Toyotas and maybe a TJ----------Hans

I'll be up there with a party at my friend's cabin. Perhaps I can meet up with you guys!

JohnX said:
Night run? ;)

I'm out unless the runs at night. At night the snow is generally drier. Also it is more beutiful in my opinion. Sorry.

ryurabbit said:
I'm out unless the runs at night. At night the snow is generally drier. Also it is more beutiful in my opinion. Sorry.
Find a third and I'm good for the night also.

8?? It gets dark at 4:30. :)

I'm sticking to the day run.

Back