• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bad Xj boys at Shredder Canyon

Shanbo44 said:
Greg F, thats the second time in 3 trys he has broken on Shredder. You should come on out!

I'd love to, but I'm always working or already have plans the weekends you guys run Shredder. One of these days.

vintagespeed said:
While on our way home after the run I ran into one of the founders of that trail. A guy by the name of Curt that is a chair for Hi-Desert 4wheelers. He said he had no problem with SocalXJ running the trail as long as we treat it better than the locals do. I assured him that we did. Curt owns a fab shop up there and noticed my Junk at the gas station, cool guy.

I mentioned to him that SocalXJ may be interested in helping out with a trail cleanup day in combination with Hi-Desert, he said that sounded pretty good to him & he'd mention it at the next club meeting.

The story goes that there are 2 owners of the trail, one owns the first half & the other the downhill side. One of the owners lives in LA & never visits the property, the other is a local in town but doesn't care that people wheel it. Back when Santiago Canyon (Shredder) was closed to save a toad (I think) Hi-Desert's annual ShredFest was 4 months away. They started scouting for possible trails and Curt & 2 other members found the current Shredder Canyon, after negotiations with the owners they were cleared to hold their event. From what he said it sounds like attendance is falling off for the event and the club is getting a little tired of maintaining this trail.

I can say that in the 4 times we've been up there no one has said a bad word to us and in fact the police were up there chasing a fugitive and told us they had NO problem with us being there. Good enough for me.

-jb

Sounds good to me Jim. I am sure we can round up a cleanup crew. That first section needs a trash truck to haul away all the crap locals dump there.

Shanbo44 said:
All I have to say about Curt is... well... somethings are better left unsaid, but some of you know the stories about the first shop I came in contact with to buy stuff for my jeep.

(Well if this is the same Curt, was he about 6 ft and thick, and reddish hair? if so run away)

That's the guy, what's the story? He was pretty cool to me, took me into the shop & showed us around.

-jb

Who knows Jim, you know these Palmdale guys, the guy probably would not show him his Meth lab and he got mad :wave1:

Shanbo44 said:
All I have to say about Curt is... well... somethings are better left unsaid, but some of you know the stories about the first shop I came in contact with to buy stuff for my jeep.

(Well if this is the same Curt, was he about 6 ft and thick, and reddish hair? if so run away)

Curt's a great guy, and has been pres of the Hi-Desert club and has been chairman of the ShredFest event a number of times. He also has (or had) a 4x4 business and unfortunately has had some problems with things being done in a timely manner. One of our local guys had serious problems with a set of axles he bought from Curt for his TJ.

I've heard they're not going to do ShredFest anymore. Was there an event this year? The original event was in Santiago Canyon, which was a blast, but it went up the creek and through the water for long stretches, and was closed to vehicles.....a real bummer for us in the area. The event was called Santiago's Revenge.

vintagespeed said:
That's the guy, what's the story? He was pretty cool to me, took me into the shop & showed us around.

-jb

His shop was in his back yard?
To make a long story short... He was the guy I went on my first run with up to Jawbone. He told me to meet them in Mojave at 8am. He was 1 1/2 late, the only reason I went on the run is because I was on my way home and past 4 jeeps and I knew one was his. He told me it would be a 4 hr run and it turned into a 8 hr run.

After that he said he would sell me a used RE 4.5 lift for $300, but I had to put $150 down to hold it. Sweet I'll take it here is $150 when do I get my lift? He was like the XJ is at my shop and I will pull it this week so drop your jeep off on thursday and I will swap the suspensions on friday and you can pick it up in saturday. So I got out to his house thatr saturday and he is not there! After 20 mins of knocking on the front door and going around to the back by the shop, his neighbor comes out and says that he loaded up the jeep this morning and went out wheeling with 3 other jeeps!!! So I am pissed, I need my jeep and its locked in his yard. So I try and call him on his cell and leave like 4 messages. At 10 pm he calls all pissed, saying wat I cant go out with my family! and to give him a break! I,m like WTF! I want my jeep! He says you can get it in the morning. So I showed up at like 10 am and my jeep is outside his gate with the keys in the ignition, without the lift on!

So a few weeks pass and I still dont have my lift! Well after me calling him once a week and 3 months later I asked him for my money back, he said I am just so busy I dont have time to pull it, so I had to got to his shop to pull the lift myself. Then its not an RE lift it is a 2.5 Rancho with spacers and shackles so I say this is not the lift you were going to sell me. He tells me the guy he was getting the lift from sold it from under him so you can have this one for $200. So I pull it and go on my way.

You would think I would have learned my lesson with him, but no!

I start to hear a knock in my driveline, so I give him a call. what do you think it is Blah, blah blah... he says its you TC and don't drive it I can pick it up and have it fixed in 10 days for $400. Sweet! He comes to my house and loads it up on his trailer and takes it to his shop. So 5 days passes and I get a call, Shannon I will not be able to finish the job, but I have the new TC in the back of your jeep ready to go and can you pick it up (its ok to drive) and when you pick it up I will need the other $200. So I go out to his house and he is not home but his wife is I get the jeep and leave but do not leave a check. At this time I was no on the SoCalXJ list and Jason jones said bring it over and we can swap the TC's.

About 7 hrs later Jason and I are done! woo hoo! I fire it up and put it in reverse... nothing, D... nothing, 1st... nothing! No griding nothing. So its 2am and both Jason and I are dog tired, so we flat tow it to a local transmission shop. Then Jason posted on SoCalXJ what had happened and evryone was like Duh the TC out of a 91 is 23 spline not 21.

So the next day Curt goes by my wifes work and says I just talked to Shannon and he said you had the other $200 cash for for me she says I dont have have cash but a check. After he leaves my wife calls and says did you talk to curt? I said Hell no he will not return my messages! She says well I just gave him a check for $200. I told her to stop payment on the check. I tried to call curt, but once again he didnt return his messages so I leave a message I stopped payment on the check and I want my other $200 back.

About 10 days later he calls my work... "you Mother F**&er! I bounced checks all over the place! You can suck my D###, you..." So I listened to him cuss me out for a good 5 mins and said give me my $200 back and you can have your TC back. He was like hell no, I'm taking you to small claims and you will never be able to join a local club blah, blah blah. And that was the last time I talked to him.

In my eyes he is a liar, snake, and thief! But I am more then willing to work with the local club in clean up and help sponsor the trail, since it will benefit us. Maybe we will have our first trail adopted?

I would've set his shop on FIRE! :flame: The authorities would have guessed another Meth Lab burning. lol

What a PRICK!!

Shanbo44 said:
His shop was in his back yard?
To make a long story short... He was the guy I went on my first run with up to Jawbone. He told me to meet them in Mojave at 8am. He was 1 1/2 late, the only reason I went on the run is because I was on my way home and past 4 jeeps and I knew one was his. He told me it would be a 4 hr run and it turned into a 8 hr run.

After that he said he would sell me a used RE 4.5 lift for $300, but I had to put $150 down to hold it. Sweet I'll take it here is $150 when do I get my lift? He was like the XJ is at my shop and I will pull it this week so drop your jeep off on thursday and I will swap the suspensions on friday and you can pick it up in saturday. So I got out to his house thatr saturday and he is not there! After 20 mins of knocking on the front door and going around to the back by the shop, his neighbor comes out and says that he loaded up the jeep this morning and went out wheeling with 3 other jeeps!!! So I am pissed, I need my jeep and its locked in his yard. So I try and call him on his cell and leave like 4 messages. At 10 pm he calls all pissed, saying wat I cant go out with my family! and to give him a break! I,m like WTF! I want my jeep! He says you can get it in the morning. So I showed up at like 10 am and my jeep is outside his gate with the keys in the ignition, without the lift on!

So a few weeks pass and I still dont have my lift! Well after me calling him once a week and 3 months later I asked him for my money back, he said I am just so busy I dont have time to pull it, so I had to got to his shop to pull the lift myself. Then its not an RE lift it is a 2.5 Rancho with spacers and shackles so I say this is not the lift you were going to sell me. He tells me the guy he was getting the lift from sold it from under him so you can have this one for $200. So I pull it and go on my way.

You would think I would have learned my lesson with him, but no!

I start to hear a knock in my driveline, so I give him a call. what do you think it is Blah, blah blah... he says its you TC and don't drive it I can pick it up and have it fixed in 10 days for $400. Sweet! He comes to my house and loads it up on his trailer and takes it to his shop. So 5 days passes and I get a call, Shannon I will not be able to finish the job, but I have the new TC in the back of your jeep ready to go and can you pick it up (its ok to drive) and when you pick it up I will need the other $200. So I go out to his house and he is not home but his wife is I get the jeep and leave but do not leave a check. At this time I was no on the SoCalXJ list and Jason jones said bring it over and we can swap the TC's.

About 7 hrs later Jason and I are done! woo hoo! I fire it up and put it in reverse... nothing, D... nothing, 1st... nothing! No griding nothing. So its 2am and both Jason and I are dog tired, so we flat tow it to a local transmission shop. Then Jason posted on SoCalXJ what had happened and evryone was like Duh the TC out of a 91 is 23 spline not 21.

So the next day Curt goes by my wifes work and says I just talked to Shannon and he said you had the other $200 cash for for me she says I dont have have cash but a check. After he leaves my wife calls and says did you talk to curt? I said Hell no he will not return my messages! She says well I just gave him a check for $200. I told her to stop payment on the check. I tried to call curt, but once again he didnt return his messages so I leave a message I stopped payment on the check and I want my other $200 back.

About 10 days later he calls my work... "you Mother F**&er! I bounced checks all over the place! You can suck my D###, you..." So I listened to him cuss me out for a good 5 mins and said give me my $200 back and you can have your TC back. He was like hell no, I'm taking you to small claims and you will never be able to join a local club blah, blah blah. And that was the last time I talked to him.

In my eyes he is a liar, snake, and thief! But I am more then willing to work with the local club in clean up and help sponsor the trail, since it will benefit us. Maybe we will have our first trail adopted?

Ahh, yeah well I dunno. That's a pretty sh*tty deal you got there Shannon but it happens. Look how much you've learned since? You'd never try to install a 23 spline t-case into a 21 spline trans now would you? :) Chalk it up to experience and bad luck, if he calls me I'll try to keep this in mind.

-jb

vintagespeed said:
Ahh, yeah well I dunno. That's a pretty sh*tty deal you got there Shannon but it happens. Look how much you've learned since? You'd never try to install a 23 spline t-case into a 21 spline trans now would you? :) Chalk it up to experience and bad luck, if he calls me I'll try to keep this in mind.

-jb

OK, The only thing I am worried about is him trying to make it so that we have to ask their permission to run shredder. But Shredder is in need of some clean up and if we set it up I will be out there with a trailer!

Woohoo, out of Malibu and back at home! Thanks to everyone I met out there, I definitely got to see what wheeling out west was like. Now its YOUR turn to come out here and try tellico :gag:
Anyone going to Moab in Oct?

Lucas said:
Woohoo, out of Malibu and back at home! Thanks to everyone I met out there, I definitely got to see what wheeling out west was like. Now its YOUR turn to come out here and try tellico :gag:
Anyone going to Moab in Oct?

Hey Lucas, good to meet you out here and get to wheel together, and glad to hear you made it home o.k. Anyway, I'm planning on driving out to Alabama next year to visit my mom, and go to a graduation for my nephew. I wanted to ask, how much do you think you spent on Gas?!?

Scott Suyeto

Fly,man. I easily spent more than 500 in gas on this trip. (knoxville,Moab,Salt Lake, reno, sacramento,living and working in LA,Vegas, Salt lake, back to TN). Gas prices in the south suck now too. Over the month I was gone the prices spiked to 1.95+ per gallon. I can get a more exact figure once the check card bill comes in. Next time I go to LA to work I think I may fly in and rent a car. BTW my jeep gets 15 mpg tops for some reason.

Back