• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beware of 4WP

get this... i bought a hitch from 4wp's a little while back, made an appointment to get it installed. and as soon as my fiance got there they went to lunch, so she sat for an hour, then 2 hours later they came in to say they couldnt remove the bolt and that they had to spray it with pb blaster and to come back tomorrow for them to try again, well i got home and was pissed, i went down there and asked them what the problem was, and they said that the bolt was froze and it would take longer than the scheduled hour to do the work, upon looking at the reciept they had a " shop fee " which was any disposible item, so they tried to charge me for shop towels, spray lube grinding wheels... basically anything really, but that fee was 20 dollars! i told him no F'n thanks i'll do it myself!... 4 hours later the only bolts that were frozen were the exhaust hanger bolts, i ground those off, took out the rusty nut strip and went back to check out their recovery straps and told them it took me only a few hours to install, and they seemed surprized, i think they have monkeys back there that can read instruction manuals doing the work... i'll never let them install anything of mine again, im just going to do all my own work from now on, they ruined my outlook on their customer service in bakersfield CA

get this... i bought a hitch from 4wp's a little while back, made an appointment to get it installed. and as soon as my fiance got there they went to lunch, so she sat for an hour, then 2 hours later they came in to say they couldnt remove the bolt and that they had to spray it with pb blaster and to come back tomorrow for them to try again, well i got home and was pissed, i went down there and asked them what the problem was, and they said that the bolt was froze and it would take longer than the scheduled hour to do the work, upon looking at the reciept they had a " shop fee " which was any disposible item, so they tried to charge me for shop towels, spray lube grinding wheels... basically anything really, but that fee was 20 dollars! i told him no F'n thanks i'll do it myself!... 4 hours later the only bolts that were frozen were the exhaust hanger bolts, i ground those off, took out the rusty nut strip and went back to check out their recovery straps and told them it took me only a few hours to install, and they seemed surprized, i think they have monkeys back there that can read instruction manuals doing the work... i'll never let them install anything of mine again, im just going to do all my own work from now on, they ruined my outlook on their customer service in bakersfield CA

Maxx... please, shut up and read the entire posting.
Pete is here to clear the name for 4WP and he has done a good job at it. If you have a problem, call him like he said and he will help you out if he can.
If you have a problem with someone, take it up with them before coming in here and bashing them.
Just because you have no skills what so ever and can not install a hitch does not mean you have to come in and bash 4WP. Read the thread and STFU Maxx.

Maxx... please, shut up and read the entire posting.
Pete is here to clear the name for 4WP and he has done a good job at it. If you have a problem, call him like he said and he will help you out if he can.
If you have a problem with someone, take it up with them before coming in here and bashing them.
Just because you have no skills what so ever and can not install a hitch does not mean you have to come in and bash 4WP. Read the thread and STFU Maxx.

look at you getting all butt hurt over 4wp's being money hungry and trying to get every last dime from people, and i did install it myself but why do it myself when i have the money to pay someone else to do it?

why should i praise one guy and give him kudo's for 5 other guys who didnt want to do what i had to do.

heres what would happen i'd call pete tell him about the manager in bakersfield, he would say well he is the manager of that store and all i can do is put in a complaint in which he didnt do anything wrong except poor service and random extra fees. he cant help that that guy only works there and isnt educated in the stuff he sells.

im not going to bash pete, im not even going to bash 4wp's as a whole, if i want parts from 4wp's i'll just order them online instead of going into the store. i cant blame 4wp's for the people who work their stores.

look at you getting all butt hurt over 4wp's being money hungry and trying to get every last dime from people, and i did install it myself but why do it myself when i have the money to pay someone else to do it?

why should i praise one guy and give him kudo's for 5 other guys who didnt want to do what i had to do.

heres what would happen i'd call pete tell him about the manager in bakersfield, he would say well he is the manager of that store and all i can do is put in a complaint in which he didnt do anything wrong except poor service and random extra fees. he cant help that that guy only works there and isnt educated in the stuff he sells.

im not going to bash pete, im not even going to bash 4wp's as a whole, if i want parts from 4wp's i'll just order them online instead of going into the store. i cant blame 4wp's for the people who work their stores.

If you're gonna have the "I have the money" attitude, then get off this site and stop posting your "dream" threads. Take that attitude somewhere where its appreciated and go buy a hummer.

As for 4WP being money hungry, you're an idiot.
Every company is trying to survive right now. And as for the cost of the extra items (extra fee's) that you're bitching about, $20 is decent. Who is gonna pay for all the wear and tear on the parts they use trying to install a hitch that you couldn't install when you got it? How about the rags and accessories needed to do the install? That stuff isn't free.
With my job, any time i turn on a torch, I charge $30, even if its for a minute.

I am not saying to praise anyone, I am saying to f*cking RESPECT HIM and show some RESPECT for him trying to make things better. Don't come in here bringing down 4WP when he has just brought them up, that's a low ball thing to do.

Assuming the scenario? Really? You are an idiot. You come here crying about something you think was unfair when you didn't even address it with the company in a formal matter.

GTFO.

If you're gonna have the "I have the money" attitude, then get off this site and stop posting your "dream" threads. Take that attitude somewhere where its appreciated and go buy a hummer.

As for 4WP being money hungry, you're an idiot.
Every company is trying to survive right now. And as for the cost of the extra items (extra fee's) that you're bitching about, $20 is decent. Who is gonna pay for all the wear and tear on the parts they use trying to install a hitch that you couldn't install when you got it? How about the rags and accessories needed to do the install? That stuff isn't free.
With my job, any time i turn on a torch, I charge $30, even if its for a minute.

I am not saying to praise anyone, I am saying to f*cking RESPECT HIM and show some RESPECT for him trying to make things better. Don't come in here bringing down 4WP when he has just brought them up, that's a low ball thing to do.

Assuming the scenario? Really? You are an idiot. You come here crying about something you think was unfair when you didn't even address it with the company in a formal matter.

GTFO.

Why you sticking up for 4WP? Why you blasting someone for thoughts?

So let him rant, he has a grip, he thinks he had bad service, whats it to you?

I think Selarep, you are the Idiot!

Well this turned into a nice thread. I think there was value in it.

4WP's and their managers may now realize the treatment of customers and possibly unreasonable policies and charges have been noted by some consumers. They like us have the choice to do something about it.

The storefront businesses are competing with internet pricing. All they really have as far as advantage is service. :lock:

Last edited:
All they really have as far as advantage is service.

Not at all, they have advantage with speed! They stock stuff so when you bust some part you can get it today. And they do have some OK prices on some stuff once you tack on shipping charges with other places.

I think they could be a great store, stock lots of stuff, it is a place for one to go check it out before buy'in it.

But the way they work over people for a few bucks more just sucks! Charging for Shop Towles on a tire mount?? WTF? Just CHEEP!

There are a few good people that work in the stores, you just have to remember to watch your back with them! I think 4 Wheel parts shold have be called "Caveat Emptor".

I think it is very positive that Pete is on here reading and posting back to this thread, just wish he could do something to get them to stop with the BullSh!t tacked on charges. Put the BS shop towle charges in the price of the item, this way we know going in what we will be charged going out.

Not at all, they have advantage with speed! They stock stuff so when you bust some part you can get it today. And they do have some OK prices on some stuff once you tack on shipping charges with other places.

I think they could be a great store, stock lots of stuff, it is a place for one to go check it out before buy'in it.

But the way they work over people for a few bucks more just sucks! Charging for Shop Towles on a tire mount?? WTF? Just CHEEP!

There are a few good people that work in the stores, you just have to remember to watch your back with them! I think 4 Wheel parts shold have be called "Caveat Emptor".

I think it is very positive that Pete is on here reading and posting back to this thread, just wish he could do something to get them to stop with the BullSh!t tacked on charges. Put the BS shop towle charges in the price of the item, this way we know going in what we will be charged going out.

Oh come on man... Read.
A charge listed as "Shop Fee" is f*cking common. When you get your oil changed they charge you an oil disposal charge. When you get your tires replaced, they charge a tire disposal fee. etc
The fee is required to pay for the items they can't list out.
It is not some un-reasonable fee.
They were charging a "Shop Fee" because it's not their fault the bolt was froze. It's all tools needed to do the damn job man!!!

They have some pretty good prices no matter what. You can wheel and deal them and get a damn good deal. Me having a commercial account there makes a difference as I get parts almost at cost. Every store I have personally dealt with has given me above average customer service.

If you have a problem with the BS charges, bring it up with the store, I'm sure they can work with you.

And if its an un-reasonable charge, THEY WILL FIX IT! If not, BBB!

Oh come on man... Read.
A charge listed as "Shop Fee" is f*cking common. When you get your oil changed they charge you an oil disposal charge. When you get your tires replaced, they charge a tire disposal fee. etc
The fee is required to pay for the items they can't list out.
It is not some un-reasonable fee.
They were charging a "Shop Fee" because it's not their fault the bolt was froze. It's all tools needed to do the damn job man!!!

They have some pretty good prices no matter what. You can wheel and deal them and get a damn good deal. Me having a commercial account there makes a difference as I get parts almost at cost. Every store I have personally dealt with has given me above average customer service.

If you have a problem with the BS charges, bring it up with the store, I'm sure they can work with you.

And if its an un-reasonable charge, THEY WILL FIX IT! If not, BBB!

I change my own oil and dump the old stuff at Checkers, or Autozone, or Napa, or who ever is closest and I feel like visiting that day. I have never paid a disposal fee for dumping used oil. Why would a shop that changes oil charge a disposal fee? I would expect it to be added into the price of the oil change and not a direct fee. Do they charge by the quart when they dispose of it. I was always told the shops take the oil with out a fee to help keep people from doing stupid things with it, like dumping it in the sewer or just in their lawn.

I can understand extra charges and the shop towels are not too cheap and I have a tendency to use them quite a bit because they are easy. PB Blast is not too cheap either.

I have had my problems with Four Wheel Parts also. There are some good guys that work there but there are some that are not so good. But you will get that any where you go. Can't fault the whole company for some bad employees, otherwise every ones business would suck.

WOW ...
I don't know if this is the feedback we were expecting.

SHOP FEES .
We do try to get shop fees from certain jobs.The supplies we use doesn't come cheap.I think the biggest problem is letting the customer know.I bet if the guy who got the hitch installed was told about the shop fee before he got the bill he would be fine with it.If you go to 4wp and they do something that is not acceptable
let someone know.
We are normal people like you guys doing a job. Some guys don't have the communication skills of others, some are just so busy and they miss it.
If you have a problem with any store (I repeat ANY STORE) Let me know.
We should try to work together on this. I myself have made mistakes on billing customers maybe even made some bad decisions. We are human.But like i said if i don't know about it , i cant fix it.. 510-436-4979 .. it cool to have an opinion but lets keep it friendly. I'm not here to start a fight .

Thanks Pete

I change my own oil and dump the old stuff at Checkers, or Autozone, or Napa, or who ever is closest and I feel like visiting that day. I have never paid a disposal fee for dumping used oil. Why would a shop that changes oil charge a disposal fee? I would expect it to be added into the price of the oil change and not a direct fee. Do they charge by the quart when they dispose of it. I was always told the shops take the oil with out a fee to help keep people from doing stupid things with it, like dumping it in the sewer or just in their lawn.

I can understand extra charges and the shop towels are not too cheap and I have a tendency to use them quite a bit because they are easy. PB Blast is not too cheap either.

I have had my problems with Four Wheel Parts also. There are some good guys that work there but there are some that are not so good. But you will get that any where you go. Can't fault the whole company for some bad employees, otherwise every ones business would suck.

Kragen, Autozone, Oil Changers, and Jiffy Lube all will take used oil without charging a fee. I am pretty sure they have to take the stuff because of environmental issues. Every shop I have worked in has charged an oil disposal fee. It costs us money, why shouldn't they pass that along to the consumer? Basic economics and retail pricing rule the business world.

For the shop fees, if it wasn't disclosed on the estimate that every repir shop is required to give you prior to starting any work on your vehicle, then they cannot legally charge you for it without your permission. Bottom line is read what you are signing, and ask questions. If it is their error and the shop fee wasn't disclosed at the time of the estimate, then you do not have to pay. Plain and simple refuse to pay the fee, and stand your ground. You are only required to pay for what you approve, nothing more and nothing less. If you don't agree to the charge, and they disclose it before the work is started, then you need to take the vehicle somewhere else.

ive had good luck with 4wp. Ive met one of the guys that works there, and I just go to him every time. Prices are pretty good, and they run deals all the time, plus you cant beat the price matching and warrenty they will give you. I like them, and will continue to buy from them. I order stuff to the store, pick it up, and do the work myself. Most times my parts come in faster than they said they would, and they always call to tell me.

You all realize that we are talking about two different stores? (Oakland & Bakersfield).

I have shopped Oakland for stuff, they bailed me out a decade ago when I had the front axle of my CJ apart. Had a spindle & bearing that both Jeep dealer & Jeep Specialities did not stock. Haven't used their shop. The sales staff I thought was hit or miss. Ii is my OPINION they cater more to the full size trucks then to Jeeps, but heck that's probably where the money is at and so I would too.

My take on shop fees, when I worked at a dealer we didn't charge shop fees, built the cost of the consumables into the hourly rate

We can match anyones price just have to let us know. In case you see it cheaper after you buy it, we offer that for 30 days after the purchase.

In Oakland we sell everything from chevy to jeep . We have so much to offer on the jeep section its hard to know all of the new product.

I have to say Thank you to you guys. I have recieved a few calls already and it was nice to speak with you. Its funny after the phone call i was laughing to myself thinking Pretty cool to meet somone from this forum. Keep it up i am here to listen
Pete

WOW ...
I don't know if this is the feedback we were expecting.

SHOP FEES .
We do try to get shop fees from certain jobs.The supplies we use doesn't come cheap.I think the biggest problem is letting the customer know.I bet if the guy who got the hitch installed was told about the shop fee before he got the bill he would be fine with it.If you go to 4wp and they do something that is not acceptable
let someone know.
We are normal people like you guys doing a job. Some guys don't have the communication skills of others, some are just so busy and they miss it.
If you have a problem with any store (I repeat ANY STORE) Let me know.
We should try to work together on this. I myself have made mistakes on billing customers maybe even made some bad decisions. We are human.But like i said if i don't know about it , i cant fix it.. 510-436-4979 .. it cool to have an opinion but lets keep it friendly. I'm not here to start a fight .

Thanks Pete

i figured if they are going to charge me 80 dollars an hour for labor, that should include using their shop towels and their grinding disk's etc... and for anyone that doesnt know how often griding discs wear out, i work in the oilfield's, i work with a grinder everyday, i grind on 3-4-6-8-12-14" pipe all day long sometimes, i can go thru one 5 inch grinding disc in a WEEK...thats 40 hours to use 1 disc roughly... so when they charge me to use a grinding disc that was prolly only scuffed a little bit thats uncalled for being as the disc's dont cost more than 10-15 dollars, same goes for the pb blaster thats 8 dollars a can and will last what... 10+ jobs? and shop towels are 50 cents a towel... so being a user of all these materials i just dont see how they could basically charge me for consumables they barely used. does anyone agree?

now disposal fees are different, they are charged a flat rate just as we are for tires if we were to take them to a disposal site. and they have to pay someone x amount of dollars to haul off their oil and other fluids... so thats understandable... i just dont agree with the shop fees because thats part of doing their job that we paid them their labor hours to do... now if say they added 10 dollars an hour to labor cost's and eliminated shop fee's no one would be the wiser they would just think their labor cost's are high and still want them to do the job.

and pete i got the hitch installed, and i would of told them the same thing, why are you charging me 80 dollars an hour for labor if your going to add another 20 dollars for consumable parts... NOW THEN, if i got to keep the can of pb blaster they used and grinding disc they used and shop towels... i'd pay for that. but thats like renting a car with the gas on a 1/4 of a tank and having to fill the tank up before i return it... every rental company i've rented from just wanted the gas to be at least a 1/4 tank when brought back to them.

oh well im over the whole issue, its installed i only paid for the part+ tax and i'll prolly buy from them again...

What brand disk do you use that lasts a week grinding all day? I'm really curious because over Christmas break a couple buddies and I made a trailer in less than a week and went through 4 or 5 disks grinding and about 7 cutting wheels for the chop saw.

you do know that when you return a rental car with 1/4 tank of gas they charge you their gas price ( which is usualy always higher than any station) to fill it up. At least every place I ve rented from, and I rent a lot of cars.

What brand disk do you use that lasts a week grinding all day? I'm really curious because over Christmas break a couple buddies and I made a trailer in less than a week and went through 4 or 5 disks grinding and about 7 cutting wheels for the chop saw.

we use sait Z tech 1/4" thick 5" around cutting/grinding wheels and we also use norton wheels. and im not talking ALL DAY LONG...im talking say we make 10 welds that day he welds the root pass, i grind out all the flaws and make it smooth, he makes another weld i grind his start, when he's done i buff it smooth, third pass i grind the start and buff it smooth when he's done. this was on schedule 160 pipe so its pretty thick im almost willing to bet it was 1/2" thick... but either way i dont go thru wheels as often as most people, it is either my technique or people just dont know what their doing with a grinder...

getting too aggressive with the grinder will only chew away the wheel faster and not get much more done than just letting the wheel do most of the work. its not like ur in a race to see who finishes first... so theres no need to press real hard on the grinder to make it work... if it glazes over to where it polishes metal instead of cuts... i just hit the cutting edge with a wire wheel and clean it up, and it works fine again...

im not going to say it cant happen im just saying i dont go thru wheels very often.

Back