• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better than Cobra brakes...

XJRocket

NAXJA Forum User
Since I am a mustang guy as well as a jeeper, I realized that if we can use cobra brakes with a WJ knuckle, Then it also means we can use these as a bolt on from the 2000 Cobra R. :D

yhst-37908452539988_2028_96709461

I actually may want to do this for my next project. can you give any details?

A WJ knuckle lets you use Mustang brakes?

Sorry if this has been covered, I must have missed it

never heard of the cobra brakes either.. just sport trac. more infoz plzzz

The Cobra Calipers and WJ calipers are interchangeable. You just use a Crown Vickie or Sport trac Rotor (which are 12" but otherwise similar to Cobra brakes). It would be a simple deal to make a plate to move the caliper out half an inch. Oh and BTW that kit can be had for as low as 900 if you do some looking. That caliper is also identical to the Focus RS caliper in europe. The Rotors in the Kit are the same pn as standard Cobra rotors.

So if WJ calipers interchage with Stock Cobra PBR calipers which interchang with brembo calipers which are the same part number as european focus RS calipers that supposedly are a bolt on to a host of other cars....that seems to mean that there are a ton of brakes that interchange....SRT anyone?

*edit* I found the RS Calipers.... Part number M-2300-B from Ford Racing. Clicky Here!

Last edited:
Since I am a mustang guy as well as a jeeper, I realized that if we can use cobra brakes with a WJ knuckle, Then it also means we can use these as a bolt on from the 2000 Cobra R. :D

yhst-37908452539988_2028_96709461

Very sweet, but also very pricey.

I'm not running anything quite as fancy, but I am running a 300mm slotted/ 2piston set-up (thanks to Gojeep for the design, and talyn for the group-buy). It cost me ~$530 + cryo treatment.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=940044&highlight=300mm

BTW. I hear Gojeep's working on a brembo set-up for his XJ, but he has no plans to commercialize it like his previous kit.

Last edited:
Ok I have done more digging. There must be some type of industry standard for performance braking systems. We know that a Cobra Mustang caliper is a direct bolt on kit on WJ knuckles. The Cobra R Brembo Caliper is a direct bolt on replacement for the standard Cobra brakes. So that caliper is a direct bolt on for WJ brakes. Mustang guys know that a european Focus RS has an identical caliper to the Cobra R. I took it a step further now. The Focus RS shares its front calipers with a Peugeot 406, a Fiat Coupe Turbo, and an Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6. All are exactly the same Brembo Part number. Knowing that goodies like these are far more common in Europe than here, I did a quick Ebay UK search and found that these calipers can be had rebuilt for about $400 a pair given current exchange rates. That sounds pretty affordable to me.

Here are some.

I also found these, a Rotora 4 piston kit for stangs that include caliper, easily adaptable mounting bracket, lines, and a two piece race style 13" slotted and drilled rotor for $1300

Last edited:
I also noticed the ford motorsports kit is the same kit as the brembo GT kit. It includes 13" rotors and the same brembo calipers, but only $1300.

I'm curious if wilwood carries a kit as well.

Buyfordracing.com has had the m-2300-k brembo kit on sale for $899 many times and has the PBR cobra brakes for $310 has the calipers only for $229. Click the pic.

Anyone else want to chime in on this one? Kind of interesting, though out of my budget.

Just wanted to chime in on the "standard for performance brakes"... it's not so much a standard as many engineers like to reuse previously manufactured parts on new designs where they meet the requirements. For instance 90s dodge and chevy 1500 brake calipers and pads are the same exact part, and chevy has been putting their 14 bolt axles into everything under the sun for approximately 5 million years.

The benefit is you don't have to spend any money on R&D for those parts, you can grab them off the shelf for your prototypes, cost of manufacture goes down because you can just phone up ATE/Teves and place an order for 400k of those calipers a year when they're already making 500k a year for other vehicles, and if your company already used that part elsewhere, you can probably swipe some other related parts or their designs (knuckle CAD files, etc) to form the basis of your design.

Hell, I'm about to put a $20 crankshaft position sensor out of a 1996 Ford Contour w/ the 2.0L I4 engine onto a flying car that costs 6 figures I'm helping design at work. Why? we need a cheap, light, quality sensor with a good waterproof mating connector and an easily machined mounting/sealing surface that will measure RPMs on the output shaft of the transmission so the transmission shift controller will be able to verify that it went into gear properly. Benefiting from someone else's economies of scale is awesome.

This is how the Aisin Warner AW4/A340 ended up in about a million Toyotas, Lexuses, and Jeeps with motors ranging from a 2.2L carbed inline 4 in the 80s (22RE in pickups/4runners) to a 4.7L supercharged V8 (Tundra) or a 4.0L inline 6 (Jeeps) to a 3.0L inline 6 making high 3 figures HP (the 2JZ.) Why mess with a design if it works? Just adapt the input and output to match whatever you're building.

Last edited:
All you need to do is use a rear disc set up.I have stock 88 Renix rotors/calipers /pads,BUT use an Explorer rear disc set up on a Dana 44 with a ZJ Disc brake spring and seal in the stock Proportioning valve...can lock up 35's.Everthing else beneath that that is Awesome....

I think they're talking about front disc upgrades.

...can lock up 35's.....

Everyone says this about their brake kit. Nobody specifies what pad they are using, or how much pedal effort... I'm running 235s and with stock replacement pads in my ZJ discs and stock D30, it will lock up - but only with a *lot* of pedal effort.

All you need to do is use a rear disc set up.I have stock 88 Renix rotors/calipers /pads,BUT use an Explorer rear disc set up on a Dana 44 with a ZJ Disc brake spring and seal in the stock Proportioning valve...can lock up 35's.Everthing else beneath that that is Awesome....

The only thing I did not mention is the use of Factory Ford Explorer brake pads.Grand Cherokee WJ Master Cylinder and booster,which is comparable to NON Renix stock booster and master.
Normal braking requires not that much effort compared to my DD 96 XJ with rear drums stock everything.It will lock up when you hit the pedal "Hard" not as hard as a panic put both feet on the pedal and mash like a bucking bronco,never have I had to do that to stop.

Back