• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

better gas mileage

Beej said:
That's some funky math you're using there brother...

Let's see. I spend ~$450.00 per month gassing up the XJ for my DD duties. I can buy a crappy old civic for about $500 that will reduce my monthly gas costs by about $300. So all I have to do is drive the Civic for two months and its saving me money. Even if I don't save that much each month, it will still pay for itself and keep on saving after a few months...

:dunno:
Yeah but by the time you convert it to real(read american)dollars your way deep in the hole.

2001XJeep said:
Stand by what you want, I don't really give a damn. You're wrong either way.
Shampoo is better!

Are you looking at me swan?

OK, my stepson works for me, drives a Chevy van that gets 9mpg fairly consistantly. Distance is 51 miles doorstep to office door, 102 round trip. 5 Trips a week, total of 510per week, thats about 56 gallons at an average(this week )of 2.12 per, that equals$120.00 per week for fuel. He can buy, for $11,500.00 on the road a new, yes new Hyundai that gets an estimated 32mpg. That'll drop his gas needs to about $34.45 per week, saving about $85.55, or roughly $370.00 per month. His payment will be roughly $289.00 on this new car, that leaves about 81. for application towards insurance-per week. How can he not be better off by buying a new car and keeping his shaggin van for the weekend parties?

I have to agree with Mr. Myers. When I was commuting in my cherokee, I was spending $15/day in fuel. I purchased a 1996 Toyota Corolla which uses 1/2 as much gas. $15 x 20 days of commuting per month = $300 in gas. The corolla uses $150/month in gas and my payments are $120. Yeah, but what about insurance and maintenance? Well, I replaced both front CV shafts on the corolla for less than one front wheel bearing on the cherokee. Not to mention the price of replacing tires on the cherokee vs the corolla. It really does make sense for some people in a given situation. Do the math and figure out what works best for you. Now I also have a third vehicle so If I want to do some work on the jeep, I can leave it in the garage during the week and not worry about how I'm going to get to work If I don't get my latest project done.

Buying another vehicle for its fuel efficiency is a great idea. Even if it doesn't save $100000 on gas, you still have a back up vehicle for when the Jeep breaks or is being modded, you save miles from racking up on the Jeep, and you have some equity built if the vehicle is paid off. When it comes time to sell that 2nd vehicle, that's money in your pocket.

I agree with Myers and fxdlrider.. I couldn't have said it better myself..

I've been working on the same issue and done the math a zillion times. It works out and saves money. You just have to figure out how long down the road do you want to see the results. Depending on how much you spend on an economical car and how much you drive, it could take months or YEARS to start saving money..

Some weeks I drive about 600 miles and other 15 miles.. So, it's hard choice for me rightnow..

Elias

BrettM said:
the best (or worst) thing about a second vehicle is you can undertake projects on your Jeep that take more than a weekend, and you begin to care less about weatherproofing and streetability. You'll end up with a buggy.
or you could make the mistake like i did and buy a 2nd xj as a dd...

IMG_2165.jpg

...cause now i wanna mod both of them!!! :firedevil

but it was a good "mistake" that i don't regret making ;)

I just did the same thing. Picked up a nice stock 91. Gets better milleage than what I was driving.

Wanted to be able to get around this winter. They tore a bridge out by my house and I have to take backroads to get home. Acually I have been driving it accross the little dirt equipment bypass the bridge crew made after hours lol.

Back