• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best xj aftermarket bumper for mounting strength?

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
im looking for a aftermarket winch bumper with a sturdy mounting system on the frame. i got an or-fab bumper and just pulling a car on flat ground with a strap hooked up it moved the whole bumper out of allignment. so which bumper can handle winching a stuck truck or my xj stuck without moving the bumper around?

They all move around some.

I run a loose-nuts-enterprises bumper, its got a half inch plate mount on each side, with 5 bolts in it. My bumper will move ~1/8" to 1/4" when I'm winching, depending on how stuck the guy I'm pulling is.

I run a Nates front bumper, there are no bolted on mounting brackets, It is a one piece welded unit & uses 7 mounting bolts on each side (Including 1 large bolt that fits throught that big hole in the front of XJs unibody), I have unstuck a few buddies & The bumper has never moved any that I have noticed. I think the welded one piece construction keeps it from shifting around & Nates stuff is priced right. Here is the link if you want to Check out his stuff.
http://www.nates4x4.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=6112ff64972a7cb729315c18408b8786://

cal said:
They all move around some.

I run a loose-nuts-enterprises bumper, its got a half inch plate mount on each side, with 5 bolts in it. My bumper will move ~1/8" to 1/4" when I'm winching, depending on how stuck the guy I'm pulling is.
Thats kind of scary. My homemade bumper doesnt move at all, regardless of the load put on it.

Both Ridged and JCR both have good mounting systems. I do like the TNT bumper an how it mounts to the sway bar mounts as well though. I copied that on mine.

Rigid has the best over all mounting system that I have found or wanted to use.

Front fascia plate
Ridico5.sized.jpg

Ridico6.sized.jpg

Bumper bolted to front cross member and front fascia piece .
Rigidco23.sized.jpg

Then you get your typical side tie in plates
Rigidco21.sized.jpg

Rigidco =
Terry /Owner great guy!
Top notch design and instructions all hardware is separated by the installation step
you can order it Powder coated or ready for paint

Now if he only would make a modular belly pan / skid plate that would allow easy access for service

I'll be getting a Rigidco. Hopefully that one big hole on the mounting plate is enough for my trans cooler lines to pass through.

sunburned said:
I'll be getting a Rigidco. Hopefully that one big hole on the mounting plate is enough for my trans cooler lines to pass through.

When I installed my front bumper I also added an aftermarket trans cooler with flexible hoses-fits thru that opening with no problem. If you have a stock cooler it may be difficult since the lines are metal.

Back