• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to groove my tires

JLane99XJ said:
guess i was thinking about re-grooving when i typed sipe

and yes an angle grinder,,
images

using a cut-off wheel not a polishing disc or whatever..
i'm gonna give this a go just to see how it works. i got a full tread cooper witha huge hole in the sidewall. tore it up with about 3k miles on it

Ramsey said:
2nd or 3rd biggest city in LA, but i called around and NO ONE here does it

Probably a stupid question but did you call the smaller more custom or more ghetto tire shops. Big chains aren't as likely to do customized things since they isin't much demand for it. They want to sell you a standard sized brand name tire, not a no-brand but still happens to be made in the same house as bfg tire and you want it in 30.9.5x16 or some odd size. Also you need to remove all debris to sipe a tire or it can't be done. Not a problem though w/ your 2"x2" monolith lugs.

bajacalal said:
Also you need to remove all debris to sipe a tire or it can't be done. Not a problem though w/ your 2"x2" monolith lugs.

Not so. I have done the siping by hand and by machine on used tires. The small pebbles that are imbedded in the tread do shorten the life of the blades by about half. But the blades are cheap.

I am a firm believer in sipeing and have had the last 4 sets of tires on my xj siped. (29x8.50 tsl, 31x10.50tsl, 33x9.50 bfg mt two sets) It helps alot in snow and ice, helps on hard rock and doesn't seem to hurt anywhere. I am hard on tires and have grooved them with a sharp rock and the stupid pedal lots of times. The only down side to sipeing that i see is it is a little easyer to rip small chunks out on the rocks. As for grooving why not if some edges are good more is probably better.

Cpl. Haak
Ta Qudm Iraq

Back