• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to groove my tires

cut me a great deal and maybe.

if your serious send me a pm

i've heard you can use a circular saw or angle grinder to sipe tires

Ramsey said:
cut me a great deal and maybe.

if your serious send me a pm

Sorry, I would have to OK that w/ the boss, and it probably wouldn't go over real well right now. I would love to buy one of the $3-400 groovers that pros use. But at this point I can't justify it.

Like Brett said, I would just sipe them for what you have and want. Places that have the machine will typically do it for $10/tire. For traction on hard surfaces(rocks), this is your best bet. The edges that you gain are the main contributor to traction. And from that standpoint, siping gives you the most. Grooving also gives you that, but not to the same extent. Basically, that harder the surface, the more you want biting edges, as opposed to open grooves.

JLane99XJ said:
i've heard you can use a circular saw or angle grinder to sipe tires

Let me know how that works for you.

A sipe is a razor edge cut. While I admit to being party to an assualt on some Thornbirds w/ a circular saw, it was for entirely different reasons. And an angle grinder????

i just dont see how sipes can be as helpful to an actual opening, but i will check around and see if any shops do it here. i doubt it though seeing as we never have ice or snow.

Ramsey said:
i just dont see how sipes can be as helpful to an actual opening, but i will check around and see if any shops do it here. i doubt it though seeing as we never have ice or snow.
All Discount Tire shops sipe, I beleive that a 33 is the biggest that they can do, it was 10 a piece plus tax, if they are off the vehicle, if not I think it was 12 a tire.

cyrus said:
All Discount Tire shops sipe, I beleive that a 33 is the biggest that they can do, it was 10 a piece plus tax, if they are off the vehicle, if not I think it was 12 a tire.
discount tire? must be a northern thing, or at least not a louisiana thing

Ramsey said:
discount tire? must be a northern thing, or at least not a louisiana thing

none in LA, just checked there site. ask around local "Franchised" tire shops.
they should be one in your area, shreeveport isnt that small.

cyrus said:
none in LA, just checked there site. ask around local "Franchised" tire shops.
they should be one in your area, shreeveport isnt that small.
2nd or 3rd biggest city in LA, but i called around and NO ONE here does it

Roll-over said:
There's a Discount Tires in Longview, TX. That's about an hour from you, I think?
pass through that way all thetime going to bmra. found a guy that has a friend that has one and i just might be able to borrow it

kirby said:
Les schwab can do any size you want. In utah I think it's like 13 a tire.
awesome, i'll be on my way first thing in the morning

Ramsey said:

The edges it creates are what give you traction. They aren't big, but the number of edges that you create is huge. On a tire like what you have, look at each lug as having a leading edge that scrapes the ground when turning. Along the center lugs, the siping machine will create 5-6 cuts depending on the machine, and at least a couple on teh shoulder lugs. That multiplies the edges probably four times, maybe more. Dont get me wrong, grooving helps in the same way to a lesser extent, but more so, it gives a better grip in softer terrain. When you get into snow, or mud/wet dirt, you will see the grooves start to pick up whatever material your driving on. That is when the grooves are doing there thing. The softer the terrain the less siping will help and the more grooving or just plain big lugs will help. For the hard surfaces, think of them like splined shafts or fine thread bolts. More smaller surfaces can be more effective than fewer big ones.

very good explanation. i think for what i wheel though the grooving might be more beneficial. however i would have sipes done because i could take it somewhere and there is no where so i am gonna make an attempt at grooving soon

explorer said:
Let me know how that works for you.

A sipe is a razor edge cut. While I admit to being party to an assualt on some Thornbirds w/ a circular saw, it was for entirely different reasons. And an angle grinder????

guess i was thinking about re-grooving when i typed sipe

and yes an angle grinder,,
images

using a cut-off wheel not a polishing disc or whatever..

JLane99XJ said:
guess i was thinking about re-grooving when i typed sipe

and yes an angle grinder,,
images

using a cut-off wheel not a polishing disc or whatever..

Kinda messy I'm guessing. Used to do tires w/ a Dremel on the R/C stuff that way.

Back