• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Shock Set up for 5.5 long Arm lift

How many folks run reservoir shocks on XJ's set up for rock crawling and general off roading?

you guys are dumb with all your fancy shocks. these work mint and they come stock on the hatch of every cherokee

SA4287-2.jpg

They are a tad long for my wife's jeep. do they have a shorter set?

i reckon that many people do, and dont need to.
I do, but only because I haven't caught the rest of the Jeep up with what I want to do with it. Eventually the resi shocks will make sense and I didn't want to buy shocks twice.

Just got these 12" short bodied 7100s. Poly Performance shock adapters for the top and made tabs for the bottom.

photobucket-680-1313781107721.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg
Thanks for posting up photos of your shock set up, very nice, can anyone else show their reservour shock set up?

I do, but only because I haven't caught the rest of the Jeep up with what I want to do with it. Eventually the resi shocks will make sense and I didn't want to buy shocks twice.

I would agree, I was advised to get the Rubicon express shocks, but I'm not sure these will last like the Bilsteins, I have the 5100 on my 2500HD.

if you dont have shocks yet... move your rear axle mounts up to the axle tube now.

cycle the suspension and measure what you need. or just buy what RE recommends. i have their shocks on my 4.5" kit and have no complaints.

also... i remember when i was researching for new shocks (still saving, lol) i found that REs recommendation for shock travel was also available from bilstien. i read a few times that the RE monotubes were just rebadged 5100s, but i never saw any identifying marks on mine.

if your just wheeling or driving down the road, youll never need resis. leave it for the go fast guys or the people who throw gobs of money at their full size show trucks.

Shock mount welded to the side of a lame ass D30 LCA mount?

Yucky.

With mini skids triangulating them on the bottom, you're essentially welding to a fully boxed mount. I ran this way for a LONG time, and beat the piss out of my Jeep.

This. The week after I mounted the shocks, I put it through its paces up and down the beach at the Outer Banks going through the ruts in the sand way faster than necessary. Worked great.

Have you mounted them yet, did you have to do any mods to mount them?

the fronts are, but theyre coming out and being changed. gonna run T&J upper mounts and custom lower mounts (like one of the other posters took a pic of, off of my LCA/spring mount) the rears are going through the floor in the back.

closest thing I got:

IMG_0955.JPG

Old rusty junkyard skyjacker hydros work really well. Cheap if you get them out of the junkyard.:D

Back