• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Shock Set up for 5.5 long Arm lift

IMG_1500.jpg
Interesting Mods, thanks for posting!! Any more shock mount Mods out there? Thanks.

Mine is almost exactly the same, but I bought the mounts from JKS. Ruff Stuff makes a nice double shear shock bracket that is high clearance.

Mine is almost exactly the same, but I bought the mounts from JKS. Ruff Stuff makes a nice double shear shock bracket that is high clearance.

Is it their Rear Axle shock mount? OGS922 Thanks for the tip.

If I did it again, would probably get RS since they are so much cheaper and double shear. Haven't had a problem with the JKS yet though. Just remember to get shorter body shocks because this raises the mount quite a bit.

http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=397

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/SBSIDEMT.html

I'm having a hard time visualizing what the RS kit looks like mounted. I've been admiring your build for some time now as it pretty much lines up with what I would like to do. I was set on the JKS mounts but now?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Thanks man. I really should have started a build thread back in the day, but I had NO idea my Jeep would end up like this haha.

Like I said, absolutely nothing wrong with the JKS mounts and they are actually a seriously nice part. The RS mounts weld to the tube just the same, but instead of having a bolt sticking out, you have two plates parallel to the axle with bolt holes. The nut goes right up against the axle tube and the shock eye goes in between the plates so you can run a bolt through both of them. Double shear is always a stronger solution, but really not totally necessary. These require a tad more welding, but are also cheaper.

Thanks man. I really should have started a build thread back in the day, but I had NO idea my Jeep would end up like this haha.

Like I said, absolutely nothing wrong with the JKS mounts and they are actually a seriously nice part. The RS mounts weld to the tube just the same, but instead of having a bolt sticking out, you have two plates parallel to the axle with bolt holes. The nut goes right up against the axle tube and the shock eye goes in between the plates so you can run a bolt through both of them. Double shear is always a stronger solution, but really not totally necessary. These require a tad more welding, but are also cheaper.

Thanks! The pic they show of it doesn't give you any sense of scale. Now I'm thinking this is definitely the way to go. I'm also curious about the JKS crossover shock mount. I need to do some more research/searching on that thing. I'm not convinced of the benefits they're trying to sell but I'm not mechanical engineer.

Hope this info helps the OP too. I'm not a hijacker.

RS shock mounts ordered.

Thanks for the links to both systems, can you post up some photos of how the RS mounts look installed? Thanks again.
Why are you worried how they look installed? The basic premise is simply put shock mounts on that don't hand 4" below the axle. It's much more basic than you are making it...

Thanks! The pic they show of it doesn't give you any sense of scale. Now I'm thinking this is definitely the way to go. I'm also curious about the JKS crossover shock mount. I need to do some more research/searching on that thing. I'm not convinced of the benefits they're trying to sell but I'm not mechanical engineer.

Thanks for the links to both systems, can you post up some photos of how the RS mounts look installed? Thanks again.

I don't have the RS mounts, but they are a great design. And I am a mechanical engineer :)

I don't have the RS mounts, but they are a great design. And I am a mechanical engineer :)

The comment I made about not being a mechanical engineer was in regard to the JKS cross-over shock mount and the selling points JKS makes. My RS mounts have been ordered :cheers:

The comment I made about not being a mechanical engineer was in regard to the JKS cross-over shock mount and the selling points JKS makes. My RS mounts have been ordered :cheers:

I know lol, I was just kidding (but I am an engineer...)

You don't need that upper mount. Unless you are getting universal shocks with custom valving in the rear, any XJ shock is designed to be mounted in the stock location and not angled inward so far.

The high clearance lower mount doesn't change the angle of the shock. Of course with the mount higher, you need a slightly shorter shock so you don't over compress it. Or you can just bumpstop before the shock bottoms out. You will gain a bit more downtravel too.

Why are you worried how they look installed? The basic premise is simply put shock mounts on that don't hand 4" below the axle. It's much more basic than you are making it...

I agree, I'm a visual learner, so it helps me to see where exactly these are welded to the axle. Thanks. I would still like to see photos with the JKS install. I am already sold of the design. I just ordered a set.

Last edited:
The JKS look almost identical to what KTM posted above. Only difference is he welded a bolt to a block of metal. The JKS design is a stud that goes through the plate and is held on with a nut on the back. Then the mount is welded to the axle.

I agree, I'm a visual learner, so it helps me to see where exactly these are welded to the axle. Thanks. I would still like to see photos with the JKS install. I am already sold of the design. I just ordered a set.
They're welded in the stock location, but don't hang as far down. I have no idea what my mounts are, I bought the axle prebuilt from another member. :)

I'm having a hard time visualizing what the RS kit looks like mounted. I've been admiring your build for some time now as it pretty much lines up with what I would like to do. I was set on the JKS mounts but now?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I just picked up a set from RS. I'll try to get some picks up but and waiting for a buddy to weld them up.

They are without a doubt the most solid setup I have seen for the shock mounts. They are very stout and fully boxed in completely protecting the shock mount.

Josh

Ignore the fact my axle is upside down. You get the point. There are three pieces. The main bracket, the floor, and the inner tab.

IMG_1903.jpg
IMG_1906.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg
IMG_1909.jpg

I got some RuffStuff U-bolts too, they are beefy!

Those RS brackets look awesome, can't wait to see them installed, can you PM me a link to those Ubolts? Thanks again

i love those ruff stuff brackets josh although It looks like they have the shock sitting too close to the axle. Between the ca brackets and coil bucket it seems the shock might interfere with things.

Have you mounted yet? any clearance issues? what axle are you putting them on?

Back