• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best place in the country to live?

shawnhancel

NAXJA Forum User
I get out the navy in a few days, and after 7 years of wrenching gas turbine engines I have lots of civilian opportunities, just don't know where to go. I am from SW Pa, Monongahela which is south of Pittsburgh, and been in Norfolk Va since November 04. I hate the SE heat, texans, and California hippes. So where are you from, and hows the wheeling, real-estate and anything else a guy would need to know before making the move.

Shawn

Best thing about CA is the wheeling. Worst is just about everything else...:D Don't let the abundance of hippies fool you though. Get away from the cities and CA is pretty conservative. Last election map, the interior was almost all red, but the population is centered on the coast, and that was entirely blue except maybe San Diego county I think.

I'm fond of AZ. South is hot, sure, but get in somewhere further north like Flagstaff and you get actual seasons and there's still plenty of wheeling.

If you hate Texans you'll fit in just fine in Oklahoma. Do you have your A&P? There are tons of opportunities in OKC (Tinker AFB) and Tulsa (American Airlines).
The heat can get up there, but it's not as humid as the SE.

Whatever you do, don't get into desert racing. They only do that in the desert, and if you don't like the heat, the commute is a real bastard. :D

On a serious note, I personally find the summer heat here no worse then summers back east(moved from Ohio). As I say, "I'll take 110 and 10% humidity over 90 and 95% humidity any day."
Reno Could be an option for you. Nevada has some spectacular wheeling, and you'd be a couple hours from the High Sierras on the CA side,

'Wonder if you could score a gig doing jet service in that little airport in Jackson Hole where all the Celebrities fly into. That would be a pretty cool,.. ..,as long as you like snow.

lol, thanks for the heads up about desert racing... I have had offers in Tulsa and Arizona, and again up in the NE region, and won't take those unless I really need to. Colorado sounds great, I love the cold and snow, and I know the wheeling rocks up there but no offers yet. I got a wind turbine offer that puts me all over the country, might not be too bad...

Utah - Nice Spring / Summer, enough snow in the winter to be fun but not to the point where it's a hindrance / PITA and you may even find yourself a nice, well-raised Mormon girl to keep house..

Nh, nothing but gun toting, hippie hating Americans

Probably some wheeling there too

My vote is for Colorado. If I had a chance to move anywhere I wanted, thats where I would go. I think the summers there are nice and the winters are amazing, plus the trails there. just think...kayaking/wheeling in the spring and summer and snowboarding/skiing/wheeling in the winter...its perfect!

My vote is for Colorado. If I had a chance to move anywhere I wanted, thats where I would go. I think the summers there are nice and the winters are amazing, plus the trails there. just think...kayaking/wheeling in the spring and summer and snowboarding/skiing/wheeling in the winter...its perfect!
Colorado is closed. :gag:

of all the states i've sampled so far, northern NM, northern AZ, CA, or CO. every state has its downfalls, just gotta see what you can/can't live with.

Colorado is closed. :gag:

i never understood this. i mean, yea mostly its joking and all but i know out of all the states in the union, if i was to move somewhere and get asked where i was from, once the words "new york" trickled down my chin the hate flag would be raised immediately. probably bc of jersey shore and the guido thing i guess.. bc we're all labled as arrogant assholes. but i've never been like, "nah, no one else is allowed here." maybe its bc pretty much everyone and their mom wants to live in the city- and when i say, the city i mean, THE city. new york city. ok maybe i am a little arrogant.

but XXXX this place, the east coast blows. and i couldn't afford a house on this silly island unless i was dealing coke during the day and selling my body at night.

Last edited:
the east coast doesn't all blow, just the city part. For instance a lot of Newburgh NY area is VERY nice, I know a few pilots who live out that way.

I completely agree with you about LI/the NYC metro area though. There isn't enough money in the world to make me go back there for more than a few months and even then it'd take an awful lot of cash to persuade me.

well, there are nice places on the east side. lots of mainland NY, VT, NH, hell, head down south too and its awsome as hell. but in my opinion, the east coast blows in comparison to whats available out west.

All the liberals and greenies from California sold their houses, moved to Colorado and inflated the housing market where locals couldn't afford a house. The job market is over saturated since all the jobs went offshore. Probably half the people here moved from somewhere else, and that does not include the illegals. It would be nice if they would learn how to drive on snow and ice. I declare a holiday and stay home the first snowstorm of the year and let Darwin rule. The joke around here is that....Would the last person to move to Colorado please close the gate.

I owned a video production company. Almost weekly I would get a call from someone who moved here that wanted a $50 an hour job as a cameraman that I could have a dozen applicants at $10 an hour.

of all the states i've sampled so far, northern NM, northern AZ, CA, or CO. every state has its downfalls, just gotta see what you can/can't live with.

i never understood this. i mean, yea mostly its joking and all but i know out of all the states in the union, if i was to move somewhere and get asked where i was from, once the words "new york" trickled down my chin the hate flag would be raised immediately. probably bc of jersey shore and the guido thing i guess.. bc we're all labled as arrogant assholes. but i've never been like, "nah, no one else is allowed here." maybe its bc pretty much everyone and their mom wants to live in the city- and when i say, the city i mean, THE city. new york city. ok maybe i am a little arrogant.

but XXXX this place, the east coast blows. and i couldn't afford a house on this silly island unless i was dealing coke during the day and selling my body at night.

Shawn,

I don't know if you don't like the area here, but the ship yard has some really good opportunities for your profession. I have quite a few buddies that work there.

well, there are nice places on the east side. lots of mainland NY, VT, NH, hell, head down south too and its awsome as hell. but in my opinion, the east coast blows in comparison to whats available out west.
I grew up in upstate NY, Buffalo and Rochester area. I despise NYC because of the attitude so many seem to have that NYC is the best, but also because everyone immediately asks why I don't have an accent when I say that I'm from NY. :D

Well im currently in a small town about 2 hours west of Houston Texas. Its nice but the people here make it no so nice. The wheeling is great if you know someone with good property. And I cant quite help you out with the real estate as im only a junior in highschool. :l

Depending on what direction you want to go with your life (family, etc) Murfreesboro Tennessee is typically in the top 25 places to live in the US. Several places to wheel within a couple hours drive any direction, great economy, great schools, moderate climate. And the best darn hamburgers I have ever eaten at Buster's Burgers.

Also look into Maryville, TN. Another solid family place with great schools and the Smoky Mountains.

Back