• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best modification??

Ditching the Dana 35 for a 8.25 rear. Eliminating the #1 problem I have had with XJ's. I would not trade my lift, custom wheels & tires, or anything else to have the small piece of mind I have from not worrying if my rear axle is going to explode any second.

Ditching the Dana 35 for a 8.25 rear. Eliminating the #1 problem I have had with XJ's. I would not trade my lift, custom wheels & tires, or anything else to have the small piece of mind I have from not worrying if my rear axle is going to explode any second.

My basically stock XJ has 206k on the stock dana 35, no issues to date. If I put much $$ into it, then I'll swap it out for something beefier, but until then, I'll run the dana.

My favorite was probably exhaust. Quiet just sucks. I've had glasspack, Thrush turbo, and now Dynomax. This is the best it has sounded, IMO, intake, header, Dynomax Ultraflow welded.

I originally said lockers but right up there with the lockers is my 8.8 rear axle, mainly because of the disc brakes.

ZJ disc swap, it was less then $80 for the parts at the JY and took a few hours to install and it is by far the best upgrade for the $. Now my favorite upgrade not based on cost would be a toss up between the TNT Y-link kit or lockers.....

wj dual diaphram booster, I can lock up 35's again
then later model center console, I dont spill my drink mall crawling over speed bumps now

Tires and Armor. And apparently i need bigger tires and more armor! :D

best mod on the AMC 4 banger was the Rustys Airtube and big K&N cylinder filter. really helped the little engine a bunch :lickout:( swapped into the 4.0l now )

for the 97: i think the LockRight in the D30 helped - but maybe i notice this because i 'armoured up' first and haven't had anything torn off yet:nono:

"Best" mod is a tough subject, since so many of them go together. If you're talking about a single mod and you have two identical stock XJs for side-by-side comparison on the trail, I'd say lockers. The locked one will out-perform the unlocked one hands-down.

I can't even narrow it down on mine, I built it up all at once so it all blurred together to create a very different vehicle than before. Bang for the buck though, a pair of lockers gives a lot of value on the trail.

I think the best mod for me was ditching the girlfriend that I lived with when I bought the XJ. She contributed to a tremendous power loss and really hindered my performance on the trail. I tried a few other girls after her but none of them really did anything to boost performance. They looked good but that is not important on a trail rig. Now I have a great dog and my Jeep has never been better.

Tires. All the brakes, strokers, and fancy lockers in the world won't do a bit if good if you haven't got traction.

How good is the best tire when its not on the ground and its the one spinning because your not locked :D.

How good is the best tire when its not on the ground and its the one spinning because your not locked :D.

How good is the best locker when all four tires are gummed up with mud and spinning? :D

BlueCuda makes an excellent point, however, that each of these modifications have a synergistic effect with each other - the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

That said, my non-locked, barely-lifted XJ with 30" BFG ATs wheels a hell of a lot better than I expected it to.

I think the best mod for me was ditching the girlfriend that I lived with when I bought the XJ. She contributed to a tremendous power loss and really hindered my performance on the trail. I tried a few other girls after her but none of them really did anything to boost performance. They looked good but that is not important on a trail rig. Now I have a great dog and my Jeep has never been better.

:laugh::patriot:

Back