• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Long Arm Kit ?

Best Long Arm Setup

• Clayton

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • Rubicon Express (When available)

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Rusty's

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Full Traction

Votes: 46 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally feel that putting a long arm kit onto an XJ, with rear leafs is a waste of money. If the rear doesn't follow the front in flex, then what is the front gonna really do for you. On a TJ, a LA kit will work wonders. Just my opinion.

Now, for those who want to go with a LA kit, here's my suggestion...

The new kit being developed by TnTcustoms out of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Here's a link to discussion. It'll be out soon....

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=18863

can i ask what makes this kit so special.from what i can see if you don't have those fancy frame rail stiffner you are bolting it all to a weak thin frame by just six bolts.so what if you don't have those stiffners are you supposed to weld a plate to the side of the frame to stiffen it.just doesn't seem as thought out as it should be.

Wil Badger said:
can i ask what makes this kit so special.from what i can see if you don't have those fancy frame rail stiffner you are bolting it all to a weak thin frame by just six bolts.so what if you don't have those stiffners are you supposed to weld a plate to the side of the frame to stiffen it.just doesn't seem as thought out as it should be.
I believe the kit comes with the required frame stiffiners.

I've heard nothing but good things about claytons system....if i end up going the long arm route on this build up i'll go with claytons.....As far as RE's kit goes i've heard only negative things about it......

My RE 4.5 Short arm is junk after 1 season, reviewing as much as possible
about thier LA, I cant even consider it.....(2 Cents)

Claytons seams to be the way to go..
Full Traction makes some nice stuff & thier joints are on the money...
T&T...yet to be seen, but nice design.....and what IS up with that frame
stiffner? The way guys go thru XJ's out this way......I see no way to transfer
it to another, help me if I'm wrong....Im on my 3rd in three years. (XJ)
As far as other kits go, well...were talkin BEST, right?

Hammertoe said:
My RE 4.5 Short arm is junk after 1 season, reviewing as much as possible
about thier LA, I cant even consider it.....(2 Cents)

Claytons seams to be the way to go..
Full Traction makes some nice stuff & thier joints are on the money...
T&T...yet to be seen, but nice design.....and what IS up with that frame
stiffner? The way guys go thru XJ's out this way......I see no way to transfer
it to another, help me if I'm wrong....Im on my 3rd in three years. (XJ)
As far as other kits go, well...were talkin BEST, right?

whats ur problem with the RE 4.5 short arm kit?

Hammertoe said:
what IS up with that frame stiffner? The way guys go thru XJ's out this way......I see no way to transfer it to another, help me if I'm wrong....

no, you're absolutely right. the stiffener gets welded on permanently. it's not transferable from rig to rig.

Whats wrong with my 4.5 RE short arm kit?? Lower joints are shot after one
season, yes they were greased everyother week, front springs are cooked, Im
now up to a 2" spacer in an attempt to keep it level......it creeks & growns
in a bad way, have had to resize all connections in an attempt to mello it out.
Maybe its just me, I know its been over flexed countless times over the
summer..........It wont be on there much longer so its all good.

Formatt....Does that wrap stiffner get welded up next to the floor area? If so
be sure to warn people about Jeep's seam sealer used in the floor corners, it's
extremely flameable!!

Hammertoe said:
Formatt....Does that wrap stiffner get welded up next to the floor area? If so be sure to warn people about Jeep's seam sealer used in the floor corners, it's extremely flameable!!

nope.. they're "L" shaped. They run from the top/side of the frame rail about an 1" to 1.5" from the floor, down the side then about 2/3'rds the way across the bottom of the frame rail. they get nowhere near the floorboards.

that's a good piece of info though... i'll keep that in mind for future projects.

formatt, any release date on the kit TnT is building?

nope.

i'm not even about to say due to the release date being pushed back time and time again. everytime there's mention of a date from TnT, brian and I are stuck eating crow. we've recieved another release date and price from them but right now, i'm even leary to talk about the setup.

so yeah, i'll let you guys know when the kit is actually built, IN STOCK & ready to be shipped and not a single day before. my lips are sealed... and welded. ;)

sorry about any inconvenience this causes anyone.

Well I didn't read all the other posts but I just thought I would share my experience now that I have seen the Rubicon express long arm kit in person. I think this kit is badass. It is very well designed and It was definitely tested properly. I would shell out the money for them if I had it but I have no reason to with the drop brackets.---------Kyle

I bought rustys when it first came out (i had like the 4-5th kit made) and there wasn't much of market for the XJ when it comes to long arms....some people might flame rustys stuff, but i have had the kit on my XJ for around 2 years now and haven't had much of a problem with it....i did have a long arm tear off which apparently was a problem for all of rustys arms for awhile; when it happened i called rusty and he overnighted me the new (and improved) ends for the long arms (which connect to the crossmember) at no charge (the way it should be)...since then i haven't had a problem with them at all!!! i have heard alot of good things about carolina rockshops, some good things about clayton, but the idea of just welding to the frame bothers me...the rusty's setup is a full crossmember (which is burly as shit!!!) that bolts to the frame (the crossmember setup is a BITCH!!!-i won't lie about it; it sucked and has alot of potentional for screwing up)....but overall i am very happy with it...hope this helps a little...Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back