• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best locker combo.........

Which locker??

• ARB Front and Rear

Votes: 59 44.4%
  • ARB Front and Detroit Rear

Votes: 40 30.1%
  • Quicklok Front and Detroit Rear

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • Other, List it

Votes: 19 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
Arb front and Detroit Locker rear is what I'm thinking...
Is anyone running ARB in the rear. I do get ice and snow where I live, but I really want reliabilty. :wave1:

Detroits front and rear. Doesn't get more reliable.

yep, what basalt51 said

small pederson said:
yep, what basalt51 said

Depending on the application you could go either way. Detroits front and rear on a DD would not be to hot. ARBs front and rear would be perfect. It is always nice to have an open differential and be able to lock the axle by pressing a button.

spool rear, lockright front
oh wait, thats cause i'm a cheap @ss

selectable lockers front and rear would be sweet, ARB, OX, or E-Locker. i havnt run any of the above, so i cant say. but almost all my friends that run them have had little problems at one time or another, leaks, solenoids, ect. on the other hand, ARBs seem to be the most proven option.

Its a partial DD...

Will never be trailered..
Drive to camp, to wheel, and around town now and then.... :greensmok

Last edited:
RockRod said:
Will never be trailered..
Drive to camp, to wheel, and around town now and then.... :greensmok
If I'm driving, I'm driving my MJ. It should have a spool by the end of the weekend. However, I have NO experience driving a spooled rear in snow...yet. If this is not your only vehicle, so tire wear won't matter as much, a spool may be a very good option, depending on ice and snow handling characteristics..

The rear of my XJ is lincoln-locked. In snow and ice, especially on the street, it likes to swap ends unless its in 4x4. That being said, a full-locked rear can provide hours of enjoyment on deserted streets. Off-road, the lincoln shines in the slippery stuff. You just have to be ready for it.

Detroit rear, ARB front. Its nice having a locker that you can turn on and off up front while on the trail.

Phil, if you're concerned about snow driving spool is the only way to go (or ARB). Detroits, lockrights, etc. can be very unpredictable. A spool may not be great in the snow, but at least it's predictable.

oh, yeah, LSDs are pretty cool too, but who wants that offroad?

Electrac is an LSD when disengaged, locked up when the switch is flipped. How could you go wrong?

My buddy Frank has broken one or two ARB's in the rear of his willys. He's running a 30 spline D60 rear.

I am dead set on a full detroit in the rear of anything I build. I am running one in my 44 and will run one in my 60 when it goes in. I will run an ARB up front though, the lock rite has been nice, but i think i want an arb.

-Scott

I like the ARB's. Have front and rear on both of my jeeps. I used to have a tracloc limited slip in rear of the xj, but actually now prefer having the option of completely open with the ARB when on icy pavement.

mad maXJ said:
Phil, if you're concerned about snow driving spool is the only way to go (or ARB).

It's too late for me to be concerned now. My Valentine's weekend plans include CRASH, my spooled 44, and a welder. URF, indeed!

Auto tranny, 242 t-case, Detroit rear, electrac front.

The Detroit/242/true trac (unlocked electrac) combo is unbeatable in the snow onroad. Lock up the electrac offroad. Perfect combo.

I can't imagine wanting an open diff in snow unless you don't have a 242.

Nay

Phil Weeks said:
It's too late for me to be concerned now. My Valentine's weekend plans include CRASH, my spooled 44, and a welder. URF, indeed!

so is CRASH your Valentine? I hear he's been known to do a little cross-dressing :laugh3:

play your cards right and you might get some :moon: :smootch: :party1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back