• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Burger in the NW?

+1 on Stanish's in Portland

The Bomber in is Milwaukie - try the burger with the peanut butter. No, really.

Cougar Cafe' in, uh, Cougar has a decent chili-burger.

In West Richland, WA there's a bar called Ty's. They make a really good hamburger, really good. Worth a try if you are ever in the neighborhood! :)

+1 on Stanish's in Portland

The Bomber in is Milwaukie - try the burger with the peanut butter. No, really.

Cougar Cafe' in, uh, Cougar has a decent chili-burger.

Cougar Cafe? Are you thinking of the Bar and Grill? Or the Lone Fir place?

I like Norma's in Lacey, WA off of exit 114. Great free range beef burgers.

I also like Boppin' Bo's Burgers in Vancouver, WA near the Mall. I get the "Duke" and add ham to it, Beef, Bacon, Ham, ect... come's with bottomless fries. By the way, I get nacho sauce for the fries, and add a Strawberry Malt to it.

All this talk about the Cougar Bar and Grill, I had to go check it out. So after work I loaded my ladies into the Jeep and we headed out.

This was taken at the Yale Fire Station at sunset.
DSC_5077.jpg

(The photo quality isn't that great because it was actually way darker than it looks in the photo.)

We we arrived the highway was clear, but there were 12" of snow on the ground.
DSC_5100.jpg

Pretty cool place for a town of 150. The bar section is pretty small, but they have a decent sized eating area, that allows minors until 8 so you can bring the family. They have Taco Tuesdays, where you can get 12 tacos for $10 or $1 each. We got 1 each as a appetizer, and they were really good, especially for $1. I ordered their Bigfoot Burger. Two 1/4# patties, bacon, onions, and seasoned fries, covered in their "famous" spicy chili.

IMG00211-20110301-1856.jpg

It was pretty good, and I could only make it halfway through. My wife and I both agreed that it was good, but doesn't belong in the NW best category. $25 for the two of us, before tip. I'll definitely go back and have a drink sometime, I'll probably go on a Tuesday so I can get tacos. If you happen to be in Cougar, its good, and happens to be like the only place to eat, but I live in the closest town, and its 40 mins from my house.

On the way home I was pulled over by a State Trooper (First time I've seen a Trooper on Lewis River Road), and he kindly informed me that my Jeep is in need of flares and mud-flaps. The next time he "catches" me it will be $125 ticket for each of the two offenses. Damn, I was hoping I could get away with it for a lot longer.

+1 on the markum inn, i frequant there a lot since there only 10 mins from my house :)

Nice. It's about 20 minutes from my work, I've been considering calling in an order for lunch one of these days.

BTW I have several places to add to the list but I need to dig up my notes

"The Hot Bite", Auke Bay, Juneau, AK at Stattler Boat Harbor. Every burger is handmade and they make their own buns, which are to-die for. Beer battered onion rings. The best burger is The Reuben, which has a 1/2 lb patty with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing. Oh so good! Especially after a day out fishing.

elusive trout pub is sandy,or is great. Best jo-jo style fries I've ever had, I usually get the dusk burger (mushroom & swiss) or the tackle box or game warden (dont remember which but its got the ham and fried egg on it). I've been going to this place since about 1991 and it's never let me down. It may be called just the trout pub now. there is a sweet new brew pub a couple blocks down the street called the sandy river brewery and public house, they are just starting to brew their own but have a great selection of beer on tap if you like real beer. when I went they had a panty dropper ipa that was amazing and like 8%

I dig the grilled Cheese Grill in Portland.
They've got a ton of cool burgers and awesome grilled cheese sandwiches with every combo you can think of and some that are just nuts, but they're know for the "Grilled Cheesus"
Instead of buns it's 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.
One with pickles and american cheese, the other with grilled onions and colby jack.
Lettuce, onion tomato and the works with a 1/3 lb burger in between.
It's not the hugest in the NW but it's a lot to put down of some super tastiness! If it's too big, they also have the "baby Cheesus".:laugh3:

Oh and I second Calamity Jane"s in Sandy OR!

Got a few additions to the list...

Mace's Rainbow Inn, Cathlamet, Washington

Awesome burgers, great fries and no line. Its kinda out of the way unless you're driving the slow way to Astoria. Or you can take the ferry across from Westport, Oregon. This is one of those classic small town burger joints that somehow have burgers that make you smile with every bite. The sun faded menu has obviously shrunken over the years but they still have the same great selection of milkshakes. I recommend the curly fries.

macesburger.jpg

Pheasant Grill Drive In, Arlington, Oregon

First off, the location on the map is incorrect, the restaurant is actually at the intersection of Locust and W 1st in Arlington. I haven't been here since the new owners took over but I hear they've only improved things. Instead of a bag of lays with your local beef hamburger, you get fresh "homemade" potato chips. The potato salad is to die for and because the owners are Samoan, they have delicious macaroni salad.

Fields Station, Fields, Oregon

An all-purpose business, it is the only year-round gas station/motel/grocery/liquor store for 100+ miles. Where else can you pay for a burger, a night in the hotel and a bottle of Jack (sorry, they have a limited selection) with one swipe of the credit card? Oh yeah, the burgers, best of the bunch. Sandy, the owner, can usually tell you which local farm the beef came from. Her husband, Tom, is very knowledgeable about the area and can tell you the condition of any road. Back to the food. The kitchen is in the middle of the 15-seat restaurant so you can watch Sandy cook your meal. Also fantastic for breakfast and their shakes are world famous. (don't believe me? Look at the guest book, last time I was there I signed after a guy from Scotland) It is a long way from anywhere but it is worth the trip and the scenery in the area is spectacular.

The restaurant/store/motel office

fieldsoutside.jpg

Sandy, the owner, making lunch.

10sandy.jpg

The yearly tally of burgers and shakes sold.

fieldsburgercount.jpg

A bacon cheeseburger w/fries.

Fieldsstationburger.jpg

Liquor store and candy aisle.

fieldsall-purpose.jpg

A good place to camp 20 minutes up the road.

camponalvord.jpg

The view across the road in the winter (got down to 8 degrees that night)

fieldspano12-29-10.jpg

Back