• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best battery?

Optima is the only way to go. Had a guy I knew that I worked at the parts store with and he said they have had some returns on them, I had one in my 1st Caprice Police car and I can tell you that it turned over every time. Put one in the Fiance's Scout Traveler-has 100W driving lights and a M8000 Warn Winch, recharge in it is amazing-even startup with that has been way better than when we got the truck. Optima all the way-no second guessing whatsoever.

Jeff

Optima yellow top is what I've had for the past 3 years with a winch,big stereo system, lights, in a DD- no problems at all.Before that I had a red top and last I knew (donated to a friend's XJ) it was still going strong after 6 years in 2 different DD, XJs.

RNMCGUIRE said:
There's alot of talk about the Optima batteries but for $40 more I'll stick with a lead/acid batt.

I have a red top and it handles my stereo and short trips great, havnt added lights or winch yet - coming in a few weeks.

Little info on Red Tops:
# Traditional batteries have a stack of thick lead plates surrounded by acid.
#
But OPTIMA® batteries feature two thin lead plates wound into a tight spiral cell, with an absorbent glass-mat in between to hold the electrolyte solution. This unique design allows for more power and increased energy, resulting in quick, reliable starts.
#
OPTIMA batteries are the first and only batteries to feature SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY. It'll last up to 2 times longer than other batteries. It can sit unused up to 12 months at room temp or below and still start a car.
#
It is over 15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries. Vibration and jarring, whether from off-road use or major potholes, can kill a traditional battery. The tightly wound construction minimizes plate movement and subsequent damage caused by harsh conditions - extending battery life.
#
It's nonspillable and can mount in almost any position. Nonspillable Because of its completely sealed case, OPTIMA RedTop batteries are extremely safe and corrosion resistant. Acid can't leak or spill, making them clean, user-friendly and environmentally sound.
#
In addition, the maintenance-free sealed case design eliminates the need to add water or clean terminals.

Any truth to the local rumor Interstates are relabeled blem Optimas? I hear $55 - the con side being some don't last as long as 1st grade (but these locals only use bungee cords after the battery falls into the fan on their sb chevies.)

Back