• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding precautions

Black_Black

NAXJA Forum User
I've never welded on my renix before. I'm going to weld in some steel plates to fix the passenger floor pan. I'll ground on the seat bolt probably. Should I disconnect the battery or something?

You could start an internet flame war with that question.

I prefer to disconnect my battery.

I have never seen an exhaust shop disconnect a battery.

You are free to pick the path that works best for you.

I used to always disconnect the battery religiously. Then once I forgot and nothing bad happened so eventually I got out of the habit. Now I never disconnect the battery when welding and I've never had any issues as a result.

I have flip-flopped on this for 50yrs, so if it's on someone else's I alway dis-connect the battery because it's cheap insurance!

The whole reason for the disconnecting the Battery before welding on or engine work is to to keep the PCM/ECM from getting fried from a possible arch or ground spike. I don't normally do it either but, was told that's the reason by an ASE field coordinator. Just my 2.5 cents if that's what it's worth

Thanks everyone I disconnected the battery today then I forgot and of course it's fine.

Does anyone have any welding advice for body work? I have a stick welder and 1/16" and 3/32" 6013. Today was a shit show. Trying to ride the fine line between burning through and bad welds was not easy.

This is probably a stupid question but should I be laying a bead on the edge, like on top of the 1 body layer or on top of both on the edge of the patch plate?

Thanks

Thanks everyone I disconnected the battery today then I forgot and of course it's fine.

Does anyone have any welding advice for body work? I have a stick welder and 1/16" and 3/32" 6013. Today was a shit show. Trying to ride the fine line between burning through and bad welds was not easy.

This is probably a stupid question but should I be laying a bead on the edge, like on top of the 1 body layer or on top of both on the edge of the patch plate?

Thanks

Unless you're really good with a stick welder, you're going to struggle hard with body work using that process. Definitely use the 1/16" rod.

I've always used just MIG on my Jeep. 0.023" wire for sheet metal. With real thin stuff, I find the best technique is to strike the arc just to the side of the seam, flow the puddle across to the other piece, then stop. I let the spot cool for a moment, then do it again. Essentially just stacking tack welds until the panel is sealed. I usually will skip around the panel welding ~0.5" or so at a time to not overheat an area too bad.

FWIW, I've always disconnected the battery. I see no reason not to. Its good insurance.

Put the arc welder away or you'll do more damage than you will repair. MIG at a minimum and TIG would be best, luckily your working on floor panels and not actual body sheet metal!

Re: disconnecting the battery. I've never done it in the last 30 years or whatever. Never had an issue.

I've also never grounded my self when working on computers in the last 30 years. Recently that worked against me for the first time. Nothing unique or special done, just situational plus that Murphy guy effing hates me.

I'll disconnect the battery next time because with my luck...

Alright, I have a mig welder coming tomorrow. Not too much damage to fix so far.

Appreciate the help!
Remember, NO flux core and you should use at least 75/25.

FWIW, I've always disconnected the battery. I see no reason not to. Its good insurance.

I have one reason not to: Needing to pass emissions.

I messed myself up one year. Disconnected the battery for welding and then a few days later tried to pass emissions. Failed because there were not enough monitors set (This is OBDII, may not be an issue for OBDI). It took several weeks before I managed to get enough monitors set to pass smog. That was a PITA.

I have one reason not to: Needing to pass emissions.

I messed myself up one year. Disconnected the battery for welding and then a few days later tried to pass emissions. Failed because there were not enough monitors set (This is OBDII, may not be an issue for OBDI). It took several weeks before I managed to get enough monitors set to pass smog. That was a PITA.
You got me there. That sounds like a huge pain. What a stupid situation to be stuck in.

Back