• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Battery Cables for XJ?

Blaine B. said:
Nice, I got an 90 amp alternator.....could use a 180 for sure :)

Had mine for years. Got it from a guy on eBay who reman's the things - don't think he's a seller on eBay now. Great charge from idle on up - he knew what he was doing. You can grab any similar OEM GM hi-amp alternator, swap the pulley (if needed) & re-clock it (change the back's orientation) to work on the XJ.

Can't go wrong with 5-90's cables!!! Best I have seen for any or all vehicles. Hopefully I can get him to do a set for my Fiat Abarth when the weather improves!!

Bob
:wave:

I installed an Optima and Mean Green alternator and have most of 5-90's cables installed. I am waiting for the ANL upgrade as well as the bonding cable. Everything was cheap until this latest order.
When I get the new cables, I'll post pics and results.
He has much knowledge of the older RENIX stuff and is eager to see how mine work in the '98.

cherokee4fun said:
Can't go wrong with 5-90's cables!!! Best I have seen for any or all vehicles. Hopefully I can get him to do a set for my Fiat Abarth when the weather improves!!

Bob
:wave:

Shouldn't pose a problem - I just need measurements, and I'd need to know whether you'd be happy with 4AWG (rings available in 1/4" and 3/8") or if you want to go all out and get 1AWG (1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" rings.) I'm willing to do cables for anything you can give me the measurements for - all cables are "cut to order" anyhow (makes it easier to keep stock, and cuts down on inventory tax at the end of the year when I can list it all as "material" instead of "inventory...")

Blaine - sorry bud, but I don't make enough to give out all sort of free sets (I honestly wish I did...) Besides, I'm sure you'll find enough good reviews just with looking...;)

And, if anyone reading this is looking for a stable hi-amp alternator that doesn't cost anywhere near as much as Mean Green, you can click the link in my sig and go to San Jose Generator - I talked him into doing mail-order a while ago, and it seems to be working for him. You'd have to deal with Rod directly tho - in an effort to keep pricing down and stable, I let him set his own prices and handle his own business (otherwise, you'd end up paying two markups - his to me, and mine to you. I'd sooner not do that...)

Yeah, the ANL kit gets spendy - that's the cost of supplies. Damn copper prices haven't been holding still, and neither has petrochemistry (for the insulation.) The only thing I haven't had to change in the last year or so has been the shipping cost - at least the Postal People have been behaving...

5-90

Blaine B. said:
I was kidding, I'll be buying some eventually. Just have to get some other things sorted out before I buy a higher amperage alternator + cables from ya :)

I know - we've certainly seen enough of each other's writing around here... That was more for the benefit of any chilluns reading than you (which explains the smiley at the end...:wave: )

5-90

Well 5-90, looking on your site, I dont see any cables for the '99 XJ?

Alademuerte said:
Well 5-90, looking on your site, I dont see any cables for the '99 XJ?

Yah - an item for inclusion in my nascent FAQ. You'll note that I don't have listings for the 1995, either - or anything with the AMC150 I4, Renault 126TD, or GM 173ci V6.

The reason is simple - no-one has ordered cables and/or confirmed the fitment yet. I cut all cables "to order" - so it's not a problem making them - I just haven't gotten measurements and a confirmation of fitment yet. Since I don't list "unconfirmed" fits, that's why there are holes.

I don't think I've got any tentative numbers for the 1999 - I've had a few owners of 1995's order, but no confirmation of fitment (all I ask is a quick "they worked!") for me to assign part numbers. I can provide instructions on how I measure if you like - you won't need to pull anything out to measure, and I've been able to take a full set of measurements in about 15 minutes so far (I've got some practise - figure 20-30 for anyone doing this cold, depending on experience.)

All I really need for a new XJ kit is cable lengths and confirmation of a couple of lug sizes - I know most of the lugs needed.

Any application is something I can do, given enough information. I can also do "customs" and secondary distribution (I handle 1AWG with 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" rings, and 4AWG with 1/4" and 3/8" rings) - and I can also give you instructions on mocking up and measuring for custom jobs. This would be using a method I've been using for the last 20 years or so, and no-one else has had any trouble with it, either.

Please direct all serious enquiries backchannel tho - you can PM me, or just go right to email from my website (since that's where I'll end up referring you anyhow... PM's and my "@naxja.org" are mainly for open tech enquiries - I'd like to keep all "business" comms on my business email. I can also attach files if you need me to, can't do that with a PM...)

5-90

Blaine B. said:
I know someone with a 2000 XJ. I can get them to get measurements, as they just got new battery cables...

Have they tossed the old ones yet? I'd prefer to get measurements off of those if possible, than have to get them off of aftermarket replacements. They tend to make those in "standard lengths," and I prefer mine to be "custom fit."

I'd appreciate measurements either way - but if you can get your paws on the OEM cables he tossed, that would be best.

5-90

Rick Anderson said:
My guess, with a little work you could make youself good replacement battery cables for you XJ for $40.

For $40, I'll make you a set that are every bit as good as the Jeepers and Creepers cables, and probably even better.

5-90 said:
Have they tossed the old ones yet? I'd prefer to get measurements off of those if possible, than have to get them off of aftermarket replacements. They tend to make those in "standard lengths," and I prefer mine to be "custom fit."

I'd appreciate measurements either way - but if you can get your paws on the OEM cables he tossed, that would be best.

5-90

Yes, they did. Plus they were being an ass and wanting profit if they were to provide measurements (wtf? lol)

He made his own, but i think he just estimated the length to what the origionals were.

Back