• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 4.0 clutch upgrade???

FU-UR

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new clutch for my 4.0 5-speed. I have been looking on Ebay and at the Centerforce brand. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a good upgrade?

Thanks!

FU-UR said:
I need a new clutch for my 4.0 5-speed. I have been looking on Ebay and at the Centerforce brand. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a good upgrade?

Thanks!

AW4.................... :laugh3: why need for upgrade? the stock unit lasts 150,000 or more............or at lleast all mine have

Thanks, I don't know much about them. Where's a good place to get a stock one? (besides the dealer)

LUK brand.

On a similar note, does anyone know if there are
heavy flywheels out there, making it harder to kill
the engine?

FU-UR said:
Thanks, I don't know much about them. Where's a good place to get a stock one? (besides the dealer)

He was bs'ing you the AW4 is the model of the automatic tranny used in Cherokees. Tell xjnation to shove it, we like our stick cherokees right? Incidentally, clutches have been known to last over 150k with a good driver and probably no abuse- like wheeling :(

I am also running Luk gold clutch and I am satisfied with the performance and feel of it and the price was right. Incidentally, I bought it in 2001 and that was 55k ago, still going strong with a fair amount of beating.

NAPA where I work has also introduced a new clutch line to phase out the remanufactured ones, I am eager to know how their product holds. The price is pretty low, I am not saying go and buy one but I would like to know how our new clutch line is working out for people.

They are Perfection Clutch and also make the ZOOM line of kevlar clutches you see in performance and rice circles.

Maybe you need to do some tune up related work on your jeep. My jeep is damn hard to stall, you almost have to work at it. Once I killed it coming off the freeway and it after a second I pushed the clutch in, one of the spark plugs must have fired because it started by itself. My XJ has a mind of its own.

Last edited:
bajacalal said:
He was bs'ing you the AW4 is the model of the automatic tranny used in Cherokees. Tell xjnation to shove it, we like our stick cherokees right? Incidentally, clutches have been known to last over 150k with a good driver and probably no abuse- like wheeling :(

I am also running Luk gold clutch and I am satisfied with the performance and feel of it and the price was right. Incidentally, I bought it in 2001 and that was 55k ago, still going strong with a fair amount of beating.

NAPA where I work has also introduced a new clutch line to phase out the remanufactured ones, I am eager to know how their product holds. The price is pretty low, I am not saying go and buy one but I would like to know how our new clutch line is working out for people.

They are Perfection Clutch and also make the ZOOM line of kevlar clutches you see in performance and rice circles.

Maybe you need to do some tune up related work on your jeep. My jeep is damn hard to stall, you almost have to work at it. Once I killed it coming off the freeway and it after a second I pushed the clutch in, one of the spark plugs must have fired because it started by itself. My XJ has a mind of its own.

Gee I haul 2860 LBS or water in the back of my 4.0 5 speed MJ and going on 230,000 miles still on the original clutch. use and abuse are 2 different things.. wheeling in not abuse if you know how to drive it

I my DL in a 3 speed FJ55 and still have a truck with a clutch.

I agree with you the 4.0 5 speed is a good crawler in 4lo if you let the gears do the work and keep the foot off the clutch pedal and let it do its thing.

bajacalal said:
So which is it stick or auto I thought you said get an AW4 now I'm confused :D Thats awesome mileage on that clutch. I needed to replace mine when I bought it at 90K, but the previous driver was female.

Yes the AW4 is still 10 times better than a stick for most applications, I wheel an auto but can get by with a stick, my lil truck has a manual but when the clutch goes (if ever) I will swap in an AW4, jsut happen to have one lying around

I went with a McLeod clutch. I don't remember exactly which one, but it was their midgrade level and it has done good so far. I use my rig 4 wheeling and towing my boat and snowmobiles. The performance clutches do a much better job handling the tourque and heat of 4 wheeling, but if you get one for racing the engagement will be really abrupt. Go with Centerforce or any other quality brand; I would contact the manufacture and go with their recomendation. Good Luck!

Woody

Luk has lasted over 70,000 on my old BA/10.
swapped in an AX15, now has 60,000 on the clutch.
Cherokee now has 278,000 and is maintained, lifted,
locked, dented, 35s... and sees rocks, thus the
heavy flywheel inquiry

Back