• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bent front axle housing affect mpg?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
my front axle housing is bent back on the passenger side, I suspect from the previous owner smashing it into something. I was told this by the shop that rebuilt the diff and put new gears in. so this means that my tires are pointed out at the front a bit. will this affect my mileage at all? i was told that it could be the difference of 3mpg or so. is this true? also is there any way to fix or compinsate for this problem?

What kind of shop would put gears in a bent housing?Get a new axle,the rest is crazy,your wheels point where you have your toe set,it doesnt know the housings bent!

The alignment sets the tires, the slightly bent housing won't affect it. So, to answer your question, no, it won't affect your mileage.

mitsumotors said:
i had an alignment done but the shop said they couldn't get it bang on so they adjusted it as much as they could.

They are most likely talking about camber and caster, not toe in. There is no reason whatsoever that they would not be able to set the toe correctly, regardless of how bent the axle housing was. I'd forget about it and move one......nothing to be concerned about.

If your toe isn't set right then sure it will affect mileage because the tires will be "scrubbing" which translates into friction....I.E rolling resistance.

you set the toe-in by adjusting the tie rod . It should be 1/8" closer at the front than the back . I measure from the center of the tread. Use the drag link to center the steering wheel.

Back