• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Chirp: Help! (Going on 2,000 mile road trip Friday!)

Just had a similar problem, I had an intermittent chirping when I first started the jeep then eventually it would stop, I couldn't isolate where the sound was coming from. I did a visual inspection of the belt an pulleys and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I decided to take it to work the next day and the harmonic balancer separated when I was stopped at a light, even though it showed no signs of where. Just my experience.

My HB was slapping other parts (fan?) with pieces of rubber that were coming loose and out of the harmonic balancer when I finally figured out what the noise was. Took 250,000 miles to kill mine on the 87 wagoneer.

I had intermittent chirping, it was a rainy day we were taking the kids to a panda movie on their holiday. Almost popped the hood to check. Almost, the sound went away.
Get a call a few days later she's on her way home it started chirping again. Called back to tell me the it made a belt burning smell but it went away when she turned the ac off. Another 20 min and two miles from the house she calls back to say it got really loud now the steering was hard to turn, she pulled off the road when the temp spiked. BTW I did ask each time the jeep be parked somewhere safe and we'd met up. But... Ah, water under the bridge and all that.

The problem was the new idler pulley broke and it broke a bunch of other things.

Could be a simple belt tightening and Xjs like their fan belt tight, or a new belt but I'd hunt that noise down before you go on a long journey.

I don't want to sound like doom and gloom but I would personally put all my eggs towards the front end, meaning all the pulleys, a new belt, a new or bona fide for sure good idler. If the HB or the belt or the PS pump goes...it could 1.) strand you in the middle of nowhere 2.) screw up other stuff 3.) overheat with consequences.

Guys, my power steering pulley is too far forward on the shaft and there's some silver shaft exposed...
Can I press it back on while it's on the car? How could this have happened?

If the HB is moving in or out, it's shot. The HB can pull the belt out of line...and possibly pull on the shaft...I'd get down there and thoroughly inspect the HB.

Possibly never got pressed on all the way to begin with

That's a big maybe IMHO, BUT... I replaced the PS pumps on both my XJ and MJ at the same time. The pulleys on them were both different and both sat at a different depth on the shaft. Both are Renix era 4.0's and identical in *almost* every way. 88 and 90.

Yes ejs. Balancer rubber does seem to be peeling....

If you have ANY doubt about the HB, replace it now. It's pretty easy to do and a heck of a lot easier at than on the road.

Could be a simple belt tightening and Xjs like their fan belt tight, or a new belt but I'd hunt that noise down before you go on a long journey.

Yep, could be super simple, or not. I agree with Green Mesa. But I'd be under there with a strong flashlight and a critical eye. Rule everything out before you go, repair or replace as necessary...and have a good trip.

Bring your long johns. We just got a bunch of snow and more is due Friday/Saturday.

I remember wheeling in Moab one Fall Fling in 80 degree weather, and when I hit Vail Pass on the way home, I was pushing 8" of slush on the highway.

Back