• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Before welding this heep, what to unground?

The other key note is to place the welder ground clamp as close as possible to where you are welding and in a fashion that any possible currents would not pass thru an area that has electronics in it!

thats all i have ever done and no problems yet, and i have probably welded on my rig more then some of you...

I think that the whole removing the positive battery cable comes from using a TIG welder. The high frequency arc start on these welders does weird things to electronics. I've always done it after I fried a Corvette C5 computer. Oops!! :laugh:

Ding ding ding. High freq from tig machines can mess with electronics. I have never unplugged anything when welding on cars. Keep your work clamp close to the area that you are welding. The electricity will take the path of least resistance.

Ding ding ding. High freq from tig machines can mess with electronics. I have never unplugged anything when welding on cars. Keep your work clamp close to the area that you are welding. The electricity will take the path of least resistance.
Whenever I push the button on my TIG welder without striking an arc, my sprinklers come on for just a second then turn off again. Wierd

Whenever I push the button on my TIG welder without striking an arc, my sprinklers come on for just a second then turn off again. Wierd
Probably the high frequency arc ignition circuit inducing a large amount of voltage in the long wires leading to the sprinklers, I'd bet. They work great as antennas for all sorts of signals not intended for them...

gollum's also got another great point, ALWAYS keep that ground clamp as close as possible to your work location. V = IR, the further the current has to travel, the more resistance it passes through, so the more of a voltage you'll be creating across your frame. This will both reduce the heat you get from the arc on your welder and increase the wacky signals you'll send to anything grounded to widely spaced locations on the frame. That's why a good solid ground connection for the welder is very important.

Back