• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beadlocks and there illegallity

Well, your rig would get a ticket for "awesome rig" ;) haha.

in all honesty, though, you make a good point. For example, I'm in Mass, and need to have a license plate displayed on both the front and rear of the vehicle. However, I'm right next to the NH border and they're only required to display the rear plate. If someone registered in NH crosses over to MA, a cop here can't pull them over for failing to display a front plate, because they aren't required to do so...I would think the same general concept applies here...

Well, it's not so much that - states don't have any obligation to honor another state's inspection laws, although for the most part they do anyway out of courtesy or convenience.

I'm wondering more what the ticket would say. 'Improper tire coverage' or "unapproved lighting' are two common ones you see around Moab; I've never heard of anyone getting one for beadlock wheels.

ah. I see what ya mean now....No idea though.

In Ohio you can get away with a lot until they do pull you over then watch out. Like ANYTHING that stick out past the bumper. winches, lights, hooks etc.
To much lift, No more then 4 inches of body lift. (NO problem of XJs)
ANYTHING that hangs lower then the rim. I don't know if bead locks are count as part of the rim.
Then there is the catch all. Anything that my create a dangerous condition. That one is at the cops discursion. More or less.

in all honesty, though, you make a good point. For example, I'm in Mass, and need to have a license plate displayed on both the front and rear of the vehicle. However, I'm right next to the NH border and they're only required to display the rear plate. If someone registered in NH crosses over to MA, a cop here can't pull them over for failing to display a front plate, because they aren't required to do so...I would think the same general concept applies here...

Ya, but the cop could pull them over for something like lift height or tire coverage, as that vehicle is operating in MA where those laws are in effect.
The plate argument is different because the plate is not issued from their state, so they don't really have any control over it. Just like they can't pull someone over from FL just because they don't display an inspection sticker on the lower passenger side windshield, like MA does.

you always gotta argue, huh mark. ;) well we'll see how I fare in a month or two cruising with these guys...I'll be sure to post up whether or not beadlocks are mentioned when (not if) I'm pulled over...

downsized_0520091650a.jpg

i have been pulled over with beadlocks before. one town has been assholes to me, and i can't even drive through there without getting harassed. (long story)

they have pulled me over a few times, written a few tickets, pertaining to speed, tire coverage and what have you not.

not once were the beadlocks mentioned

With all the fake beadlocks, I doubt the cops bother checking during a traffic stop unless you're being a jerk and they go looking for something to ding you on.

This thread is getting stupid.

If a cop really wants to you up, in most cases, and most of our Jeeps...
You could probably wallpaper the average size jail cell with the amount of fix it tickets to make most of our Jeeps truly legal.

My beadlocks are the least of my problems.

utah cops especially where i live are crazy about stuff like that, pull you over for any reason at all, we have 2 UHP here that have the specific job of just driving around finding illegal stuff and pulling over commercial vehicles and they love doing their inspections...

Unless we see a law that says that a vehicle is illegal to operate in Utah if items are below the inspection standards, then it's still not illegal. We discussed this backchannel when he sent me the link.

For example, if a vehicles tires are just at the minimum to pass inspection, but it passes, then a few months later the tires are now below minimum, is that vehicle now illegal to operate? I seriously doubt there is a Utah law that says that. The guy would simply need to replace the tires before the next inspection. Same with windshield wipers, need to replace the wipers so are you now illegal?

Swap the beadlocks out with a friend for the inpsection in Utah. I'll bet that the actual law says you're legal to operate if you have an inspection sticker. Or, better yet, I'll bet the only thing the inpsection is required for is to get your registration, so if you're currently registered you're legal.

This has been beat to death a hundred times. It's a seriously dead issue.

Hasta

Hasta

Hasta

Hasta

Back