• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard Pack!

tthickey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all i recently found a late 80's Chevy Blazer (small one) sitting upside down in the woods, it's a 4x4 as well does anyone know if I can use those leafs to bastard pack my Cherokee?

Also anyone interested in bastard packing I found a cool article here

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

If anyone bothers to read it let me know what you think of the lift kit?

Also off topic here but my T-case won't shift into 4Low, and it appears the linkage is stretched out or something, a friend said that I had to replace some bushing in there? anyone familiar with this problem?

Tom

there is a set screw on the linkage that may have slipped a little, and your friend may be right, there are a couple of bushings that can fail in the linkage, not a big deal to fix.

4LowandGo said:
x2 on the set screw. Start with adjusting it first and maybe it will fix the problem. It takes about 5 minutes to adjust.

Could you describe the screw? just trying to imagine in my head and I can't picture it...

If it is an S-10 Blazer, yes you can. Cut the spring eyes off and use all the S-10 leaves except the flat overload leaf on the bottom. Put all this under your original Cherokee main leaf and you will get between 3-4 inches of lift.

tthickey said:
Could you describe the screw? just trying to imagine in my head and I can't picture it...

BL-13.gif

If you look right above the "N" in "TRANSMISSION BACKET" there is a set screw right on top of that box shaped backet. Put the shifter in 2WD, release that set screw and try to slide that bracket as far as you can towards the 90* of the shaft that it slides on. Tighten up the screw and see if it'll shift into 4LO. If it will, you'll just need make sure it will still shift into 2WD and 4HI, sometimes you have to find that sweet spot between where it was and where you pushed it to.

also.. make sure you're in neutral when trying to shift it into 4LO. Sometimes I could manage to get my TJ to shift into 4LO while in gear but with the clutch pushed it, but it doesnt seem to be the case with XJs, seems like its neutral or nothin for mine.

haha looks easy enough thanks guys!

Also I did a mild 2" add-a-leaf because my stock cherokee springs were badly sagging. When I bastard pack this thing can I leave it in or does it have to go?

you can leave it if ya want! all depends how much lift you want...

when I did mine, I used the whole s10 blazer pack, minus the overload, and the jeep main spring, and secondary spring. it was good for 3 1/4". I would guess the add-a-leaf would get you a little more than that.

I've also read to use the XJ main spring only, and all the springs from the S10 pack except the main spring. They say a gain of 4-5" that way...

the main spring is what gives you the most lift, and it gives the XJ main a good deal of support. I don't think 4-5" is possible with only the XJ main, and the "rest" of the S-10 pack.

I'm just wondering the fact that my stock springs had sagged a LOT that I wouldn't be able to get the 4" by simply using the "bastard pack" and I might need the AAL?

Back