• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Barebones mp3 editor...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
Really, all I need it for is to cat a batch of mp3 files together into a single file. I've been ripping audiobooks on CD into .mp3 so I can play them on my Zen, and I want to reduce the file count (my Zen has 4GB internal memory capacity, and an SD slot.) Besides, if I reduce the number of BOF and EOF markers and such, it should reduce total filesize somewhat, no?

Can anyone suggest anything? I have two basic requirements:

1) Free. Or Freeware. Yes, I'm familiar with SourceForge.
2) Easy to sort out for use. I figure this isn't something I'm going to be using very often, so I want it to be easy to figure out when I do.

Additional (optional):
I'd like it to be able to split sections out of large mp3 files as well - say, if I've got a rip of a whole album and I want to break out a single song, I'd like to be able to do so. Not a hard requirement, but more of an "it would be nice."

Audacity should do it for you, Jon.

I was at an event last summer, and one of the band members shows up with a brand new sound board. With a USB port on the back. I flipped through the docs, and the board could do a mix-down and dump it in stereo out through USB. Bought a cheap A-B USB cable, pulled down a copy of Audacity to my laptop, and recorded their show.

I also have a zen and I use Media monkey to sort and tag my mp3

I also use Media Monkey and it defenitely gets the job done without the clutter of the big corporate prgrams. But it doesn't have the editing tools that this thread is about.

I realized that I do have Audacity and used it to trim songs for use as ring tones on my cel phone. That's where the LAME decoder was needed. It is also a free download.

Audacity Rocks!

Lets see if I remember,file1, file2, file3 > file4 from the command line.

In *nix, sure! In DOS, maybe. In WinXP? Not a chance. M$ continues to cut DOS VM support - and I'm still not convinced it was smart in the beginning...

Did ya know that DOS is still Microsofts biggest seller. I have a program called 'media join' on my windows media center machine, I don't use it but I have it, my suspicion is that it does just that under the covers, it's a freebie.

Ya know, Jon...... ya could just download M$ Services for Unix. There just might be a shell in there, and that might be enough.

Ya know, Jon...... ya could just download M$ Services for Unix. There just might be a shell in there, and that might be enough.

Yup, or just load ubuntu on there, resize the disc to your liking then use the toys that are available which I might add also tend remove copyright protection as a byproduct :D
WIth win already installed when you add ubuntu it makes all the window directories accessible from the linux side.

Back