• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balljoints, any easy way?

Eisenherz

NAXJA Forum User
I got an 89 cherokee with a bad balljoint on the passenger side. are there anytricks out there to accomplish the removal and installation of a new one to fix that problem. Thanks for your time.

Ps. oops on posting in the wrong category

Last edited:
Go rent a good balljoint press from a parts store and it will be a piece of cake.

actually that's only 1/2 of what you need. the other half is a good balljoint adapter set. well actually you only need 2 specific pieces, but unless you can borrow them, you'll have to get an adapter set.

if you have a harbor freight nearby, they have a nice master balljoint adapter set for cheap. i would use that ball joint adapter set along with a good ball joint press that you can rent from autozone or advanced auto. i would NOT recommend using the ball joint press from harbor freight.

with a good balljoint press and the correct adapters it takes about

with airtools) 2 minutes
without airtools) 10-15 minutes

awesome, what about getting them out. someone told me you could get a scissor jack and open that up to get the balljoint out. will that work?

Like I said, rent a good ball joint press, it will come with adapters.

Easy and ball joint are both four letter words. Not complicated, just some grunt work. And every once and awhile the possibility of a serious buns up. A lot of the pieces come apart really hard if your unlucky.
I have a super duty press and thought I was gonna explode that sucker, the last ball joint that I took out. Three came out fairly easy, on the last one (somewhere around the middle of the process) l went looking for a face shield and my leather jacket. When it finally moved, it went BOOOM.

Just did mine today using harbor freight ball joint press. Worked great, people say they bend . . . don't know what that is about. Made sure it was straight and when there was tension i would whack the side of the knuckle with a hand sledge and they popped right out.

Eisenherz said:
any trick to get it out and replace it with out going through all that work or swapping axles?

The only thing easier is to drop it off with a mechanic and come back later in the day. Give them a credit card number and when you come back your Jeep will magically have new ball joints.

Back