• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint questions!!! HELP...

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
I have a 1990 XJ and I am in the middle of replacing the wheel bearings, all 4 ball joints, track bar bushing, and my rod ends. Now to my question, since I have about 4.5" of lift should I install offset adjustable ball joints or the standard OEM ball joints for the uppers. The offset uppers that I have are 2 degree. Which ones should I use. :huh:

1990 XJ
4.5" frankenlift
- 3" tommken coils
- tommken adj LCA's
- 4.5" RE rear leaf packs
- Procomp ES 3000's
- Rusty's trackbar drop bracket
32x11.50 AT's

The lift doesn't affect camber, which is what you'd be adjusting with adjustable ball joints. Just get regular ball joints. I can't imagine any reason except for a bent axle that a D30 would need adjustables... and if the housing is bent, it should be replaced anyway.

sorry to dig this thread up, but at least i used the search feature

my caber is bad (ive got some negative camber, not much but enough for me to worry about it) and wanna replace my ball joints with some adjustable ones to correct my camber

any certain place i should buy adjustable ball joints from and how much will they run me for all i need up front?

The only reason your camber would be messed up is:
a) Worn out ball joints
b) Bent axle housing

Offset ball joints are for correcting caster problems, and if that is the case, get yourself some adjustable control arms. Just get standard ball joints and replace the worn out ones, that should fix your camber problems.

1990XJ4x4 said:
The only reason your camber would be messed up is:
a) Worn out ball joints
b) Bent axle housing

Offset ball joints are for correcting caster problems, and if that is the case, get yourself some adjustable control arms. Just get standard ball joints and replace the worn out ones, that should fix your camber problems.

Correct, but with offset balljoints, one can adjust for pinion angle with adj. control arms and compromise caster angle with offset balljoints.

what you realy want to do is get your pinion adjusted where you want it (pointing at the t-case output) then check your caster and shoot for around 6-7* if it's dead on then your set just get regular ball joints and be done with it if not get some adjustable ones and try to get some caster.

the problem with just buying adjustable control arms is that you move the pinion up-down as you adjust caster which can give you vibes if it is too far off.

with all that being said i have no personal experience with offset ball joints and don't know how they compair in strength to standard ones.

Back