• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad axle shaft? Bad Ring and Pinion?

I have to agree with rstrucks. Wash out the whole mess with about 6 or 8 cans of brake Klean. Make sure to get all the junk out of there. Nothing will be reusable if you have it rebuilt anyway. There is little risk doing it this way. You may get more use than you think. Good luck
Ron

Thanks all for the replies. I did notice that my ring gear was in decent shape, so I may see about keeping the ring gear in. I'm waiting for a break in the weather to get out, pull the shafts, and pull the carrier.

if your going to scrap it, couldnt you just pull the spiders and front DS instead of pulling the carrier/axels just to drive it around

that's the dilemma right now. I don't know what can be salvaged (chances are I'm getting a new axle), or what needs to be pulled to drive it as a 2WD DD. Do I have to pull the shafts either way to get out the spiders or ring gear, or just for the ring gear?

From the pics it looked like both the spider gears are broken if not the question is can the retaining pin be removed without pulling the carrier. I'm not familiar with a d30.

Kyle Horvath said:
that's the dilemma right now. I don't know what can be salvaged (chances are I'm getting a new axle), or what needs to be pulled to drive it as a 2WD DD. Do I have to pull the shafts either way to get out the spiders or ring gear, or just for the ring gear?

Kyle slow down, read this:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99710&highlight=canman+aussie+loc ker+install

Just look at the first few steps of the locker install, it has great pictures on how to get the shafts out and pulling the ring gear.

Good luck.

-Alex

hollyxj said:
if your going to scrap it, couldnt you just pull the spiders and front DS instead of pulling the carrier/axels just to drive it around
You can't just pull the spiders if you plan on leaving the axles in place. The spider gears are what keep the axles from flopping around in there.

DrMoab said:
You can't just pull the spiders if you plan on leaving the axles in place. The spider gears are what keep the axles from flopping around in there.
You can pull the spder gears,its the side gears that are holding the axles.You will have to reinstall the crossshaft though!

RCP Phx said:
You can pull the spder gears,its the side gears that are holding the axles.You will have to reinstall the crossshaft though!
The side gears are broke too. If you look at his pics they were in pieces.

:edit: Never mind...I didn't look at the pic close enough. My bad, you are right.

I dont see anything wrong with them(other than lacking teeth).And that doesnt matter for drinving around,pull the spiders and he's good to go.no need to drop the driveshaft.You will need gear fluid though.
BTW,this would only be suitable for short term/short trip driving.
IMG_0568.jpg

Had a nice day here so I decided to go to work on the rig. I figured since everything was so mangled up, I would just pull the axle-shafts. I've tightened and bolted everything up as it was. From my understanding, it is ok to do this, if not let me know!!! I put plastic bag stoppers to keep crap out of the tubes (doesn't matter too much, more than likely I'm going to be swapping in a HP or a 44, or I'm just gonna sell the rig as Temp-2WD and let the buyer decide what they want to do.)
IMG_0576.jpg

Don't worry, I got the castle nut and a new cotter pin back in place. That's about 7 Safeway bags as a seal.
IMG_0570.jpg

Don't do what I did. I used 2 bottle jacks instead of jackstands, too poor to buy my own set. The 33's were there to keep me from getting crushed though!

Last edited:
How many of y'all have broken gears like this before breaking shafts or joints? I'm sitting on 33's and only do real rock crawling about 5 times a year (Slickrock, Rubi-Equivalent trails and the odd rock pile), would it be worth trussing the axle. I'm guessing that this horror was caused due to axle warp/flex, right?

Kyle Horvath said:
How many of y'all have broken gears like this before breaking shafts or joints? I'm sitting on 33's and only do real rock crawling about 5 times a year (Slickrock, Rubi-Equivalent trails and the odd rock pile), would it be worth trussing the axle. I'm guessing that this horror was caused due to axle warp/flex, right?

Go get yourself a newer HP D30 and swap all your stuff over to it.

You gotta do new gears anyway.

Trussing the axle would be good. I very much doubt that that damage was caused by axle warp/flex because the spiders are inside the carrier. The carrier doesn't flex or warp like the housing. There was just too much torque going to the spiders and the tires just weren't moving, so something had to go, and the weakest point did it. I broke mine by using the poor man's locker trick, using the brakes and gas at the same time to try to stop some of the slippage and gain traction again.

As long as you left the outer shafts in the hubs, then you are fine to drive around like that.

Outer shaft is attached to the hubs, yoke looks funny without the joint and inner end. :tear:
And I too broke mine the same way, gas and brake to prevent slippage. I was in reverse at the time it happened, with the wheels turned all the way. I thought it may have been force from the inner shafts being tweaked as the housing flexed, and then the inner gears got out of sync. But indeed, it was the weakest link.

Thanks again for all the help everyone, I may be 2WD for awhile, but at least I can drive it.

-Kyle

Hello. Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm the new owner and have a few issues. The damage was worse than I expected. The carrier is actually cracked, so that's not going to be useable. The gears are a bit too bad for my taste. And, the spider gears on the rear locker are munched - possibly because of the low oil level. My bad. I guess I should have looked a little closer.

Anyway, where does one go about finding a high-pinion D30 for a 2000 XJ? Does anyone have a spare D30 carrier for 4.56 gears laying around? Also, what long-arm conversions do people here prefer?

Thanks.

high pinion 30's came in 1991-1999 XJ's (the desireable ones at least) and they bolt in where the LP 30 used to be...

read up a little here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101343

and here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101249

you live in the Sierra Chapter boundary - and might have better luck finding a local d30 carrier around there:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

you should come out on our deer valley run this weekend to look at rigs and what people like!
more info on that here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=951145

waggy401 said:
Hello. Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm the new owner and have a few issues. The damage was worse than I expected. The carrier is actually cracked, so that's not going to be useable. The gears are a bit too bad for my taste. And, the spider gears on the rear locker are munched - possibly because of the low oil level. My bad. I guess I should have looked a little closer.

Anyway, where does one go about finding a high-pinion D30 for a 2000 XJ? Does anyone have a spare D30 carrier for 4.56 gears laying around? Also, what long-arm conversions do people here prefer?

Thanks.

I will sell you a D30 out of a 2001 XJ (yes it is low pinion) with 4.56 gears, and an ARB locker for $600. There's nothing wrong with it, I swapped in a HP D44. It would cost approximately $1,300 to build this axle. New ARB's are going for $750, ring & pinion with install kit are at least $250, install labor $300+. You would probably need to re-use your brake rotors as the ones on this axle are rusty, and you would need an air compressor to operate the ARB. I'm in the bay area. Let me know if you are interested.

Back