• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backing an M416?

I dispise pintle hitches, so here is what I went with.

DSC_0031.jpg

Not only does it swivel in every direction, it has a rubber shock isolator built in.

DSC_0026.jpg

I like it. Details please?

become a truck driver. I can back mine pretty much anywhere I want.

X 100!!!!

Like Mr Moab I drive for a living. In fact right now I pull doubles and every night I have to back a dolly with pintle hook up to my back trailer. I'm doing this with a Freightliner with a 220" wheelbase.

After a year of doing this every night I'm still getting the hang of it.

Backing up a trailer is more of an art than a skill. It just takes practice.

Having said that the slop in a pintle hitch adds to the problem. There are some ways of alleviating that slop. But none are really worth the trouble.

Practice, practice and more practice. And trust me, the people looking at you when you back up can't do it any better.

I too am a truck driver.

The problem most people have with backing is they oversteer. Don't turn the steering wheel more than a few degrees at a time especially when correcting. If straight is 12 o'clock dont't turn the wheel more than 1-2 or 11-10 o'clock. If you need more steering angle than that to correct just pull ahead a few feet to straighten it out.

Back