• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back spacing for 12.5" wide tires and DOT approved inner tube bead locks??

ScienceguyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know how much backspacing is required to run 12.5" wide tires on XJs? I think I heard a few years back that you need a minimum of 4.5". I'm thinking about getting some 17"x9"x4.5" BS rims. Haven't had much luck searching.

Also, does anyone run DOT approved inner tube bead locks? Curious how they perform on and off road.

Also, what do you guys think about wheel spacers? Do they destroy your bearings too quick to be worth while?

Wheel spacers have the same effect on bearings as wheels with less backspacing, so its pointless to use the spacers when you can get the wheels you need with the right backspacing from the start.

As for bearing wear, my opinion has always been to place the priority on the wheels and run the backspacing you want. Bearings are a replaceable part and while you may not get 100,000 miles out of them, replacing them more often than on a stock rig is one of the costs of doing business in this sport ("you gotta pay to play").

The extreme example I use is this scenario:

You want to run a wider track width but because you are concerned about having to replace bearings periodically (once a year?) that you decide to run a narrower track width. The wider track is better for stability in off-camber situations but because you went narrower you happen to roll your rig causing several hundred to thousands of dollars in damage or totalling it. Was it worth it in the end because you wanted to save a hundred or so dollars a year on set of unit bearings?

And on my rig I have 3" backspacing with 12.50 tires and like it a lot. I also ran them with 4.5" BS and 4.0 BS. By far the wider track is better. I don't have unit bearings though.

The extreme example I use is this scenario:

You want to run a wider track width but because you are concerned about having to replace bearings periodically (once a year?) that you decide to run a narrower track width. The wider track is better for stability in off-camber situations but because you went narrower you happen to roll your rig causing several hundred to thousands of dollars in damage or totalling it. Was it worth it in the end because you wanted to save a hundred or so dollars a year on set of unit bearings?

you can't use logic like that on an internet forum... thats just not how it works.

I have 4.5" backspace and wish I had slightly less. my 33"s rub all over the inner fender at full stuff and 35"s are gonna really hurt :shocked:

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah it would be hard to prove that you wouldn't have rolled if you had gone with wheel spacers...

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah it would be hard to prove that you wouldn't have rolled if you had gone with wheel spacers...

not what I meant...

I meant, [sarcasm=]how dare Eric bring reason, facts, and sound thinking into an internet debate[/sarcasm]

:yap:

What's scary (to me) is 2'' of lift and skinny 31s on front drive offset wheels. I ripped off the fender flares and they still don't stick out.

I always think i"m going to tip over. Only did once so far.

Hear yah there, tipped mine over with 31s and about 2.5" lift with 10.5 tires on stock rims lol... shouldn't have done that donnut

Back