• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back in an XJ: Building a mild 1998 Sport

Working on the c pillar section the only change I made was to cut and notch the supplied diagonal support into a horizontal "harness" bar. Mainly because it would have been in the way of my spare tire the way I have it sitting. Eventually I plan to get another hatch to cut the bottom off of so the spare tire can sit flat on the floor. Until then it will sit on the harness bar like I had it with that mount I'd previously made.

97U78mq.jpg

joNTpJT.jpg

Then it was time to start welding the roof halo back together and get my cross bars and a pillars set. Now its in my garage waiting for me to add in the rest of the roof bars, fully weld it, and paint it.

EDOeIRf.jpg

oODAIl0.jpg

5l0OSDR.jpg

pgD0HTQ.jpg

Do you have a part #. As usual I'm getting conflicting info from the web sites on Bore size/output size. I'm currently running a 98 Durango with a 1-1/16" bore but would like to find a bolt-on with 1-1/8" bore.

That's what I was doing, they don't agree on much! A store/part# for what you bought?

Thank you. Did everything else match-up (booster bolt flange/seal and push rod depth)?

Also what about the reservoir height?

More progress on the cage today. I added in the center bars and fully welded everything. Now I just need to get the big x onto the roof.

AWvBKio.jpg

lAhBTkM.jpg

clGKZfX.jpg

I will fully admit that I suck at using a tubing notcher for anything other than 90 cuts. I like to think I'm halfway math smart, but somehow I always jack it up. So between that and my dislike of the way they designed the diagonal tubes to NOT meet the center "spine" at the cross bars I decided to grab some scrap 1.5" for slugs and do things the slower way.

Step 1, lay out where you want the tube with tape
vu7ydN2.jpg

Step 2, grab a short piece of tube and place it where you want the notch (adjustable fixtures make this a lot easier)
N7o4hTm.jpg

Step 3, take your notch master and lay out the design of the notch
BjPCwrb.jpg

Step 4, after making the notch pattern onto your tube rough cut it with your cut-off wheel
xks4Ki8.jpg

Step 5, using a flapper wheel (having multiple grinders is real handy btw) clean up the tubing until the pattern is matched
eRLsx0G.jpg

Step 6, test fit and make adjustments as needed
u0ZTtX3.jpg

Step 7, place the other tube in place and mark where to cut
DEmEl16.jpg

Wq4YPyA.jpg

SRyDrrD.jpg

Step 8, insert slug and weld into place
khB1DAd.jpg

2pcRL0P.jpg

Now repeat as necessary. If your tubes are long enough you can just use scrap pieces to design your notches and then measure out your short and long edge distance to transfer them to a fresh piece and forego the slug/splice. My tubes weren't long enough and I don't have access to a bender with a 1.75" die to remake the ones they sent me.

Only 2 more diagonals to go and then I can weld the underside and paint. Once it get mounted back to the jeep I'll weld the a-pillars to my rocker guard and start figuring out where to trim my fenders.

other night and another tube. 1 more to go and this thing is done. I couldn’t go all the way to the outside corner because of how it drops down. I was worried about hitting the roof. So I went to the stub where the c-pillar attaches.

XQm48Tk.jpg

pMJz0fY.jpg

c0DoZrk.jpg

iWzH03I.jpg

teAjvHS.jpg

Stock fronts aren't ventilated?
OaRXq6h.jpg

Oops, I've evidently forgotten that they are. :doh: Are you planning on doing a up-grade with all this added weight?

BTW, if you don't have any changes in the brake system(from stock) your only making it much worse with a bigger MC bore.

Last tube is in, tomorrow I can spend my day off painting. Should have it back on the Jeep and start figuring out where to trim my fenders, headliner, and carpet on Saturday.
wBH0eBL.jpg

OsjhISq.jpg

This is my favorite pic and also my screensaver. I had just installed the best XJ brakes I could buy but still had tons of issues and vowed to go bigger.
"Black Bear"/'08
P1010356_zpsdpty6h6a.jpg

Dude, can you please quit posting random pics in my build thread? I'd actually appreciate it if you (or a moderator) went back and deleted the ones you have posted.

This far from my first XJ, and its definitely not the biggest built one I've had either. I've done the WJ swap in the past, I've done other disc brake swaps in the past, I've done 1/2ton axles in the past. I've built a 1 ton swapped YJ with a 231/D300 doubler using XJ spring packs to get a very flexible and longer WB. I'll continue to do the mods I choose to as I choose to do them. If you don't like an aspect of how I'm choosing to do my build then don't do it on yours. I am more than familiar with how different mods interact and how they effect the way I want this thing to perform.

Last edited:
Back