• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Azuza (a day in the mud?)

Shannon, We'll see, between all the b-day partys, & work all my weekends
are booked up! I still need to swap my disc brakes over onto the new axle
I got.... Just to tired by the time I get home from work.

If I do it'll be last minute and just show up outta the blue....
Actually I want to do Shredder again.... Maybe once it cools off.

Scott S

RisingSun said:
Yeah, that would be cool a night run?!? Earliest would be August......

You name it and I am there! Maybe we can get some of the Shedder veterans to do a night run with... maybe backwards?!!... this is starting to sound good... and we could start the night off with buffalo wings!

shannon

Shanbo44 said:
You name it and I am there! Maybe we can get some of the Shedder veterans to do a night run with... maybe backwards?!!... this is starting to sound good... and we could start the night off with buffalo wings!

shannon

Yeah! My buddy Daniel has been raving about COACHES and the buffalo wings...... Sounds like a plan. Once I can get some time off. I'll let you know.

Scott

Just curious... Is this still on? I hit Azusa yesterday for a few hours, and it's a lot different at weekends than on the Fridays I usually go up there on.

FYI on the haul road: there's actually a lot more of the canyon to the south open at weekends because of it, but a lot of it isn't very usable (at least, not if you're stock) - it's bulldozer mounds and excavation work, not anything overly-exciting.

The ground up there has changed considerably in the last couple of weeks, possibly as a result of the excavation work. It's very dusty and the sand has turned pretty powdery in places, particularly along the western wall of the canyon. I bogged down twice and got stuck once trying to climb one of the sand berms out of the creek at stock tire pressures (my compressor is an AutoZone cigarette-lighter special, so I try to avoid airing down whenever possible). This wasn't a problem a few weeks ago.

No real mud save one or two puddles, but there're a couple of OK water holes (one natural, one rock-dammed) that're doable stock, some canyon wall climbs, and dry rocky creek beds.

casm said:
Just curious... Is this still on? I hit Azusa yesterday for a few hours, and it's a lot different at weekends than on the Fridays I usually go up there on.

FYI on the haul road: there's actually a lot more of the canyon to the south open at weekends because of it, but a lot of it isn't very usable (at least, not if you're stock) - it's bulldozer mounds and excavation work, not anything overly-exciting.

The ground up there has changed considerably in the last couple of weeks, possibly as a result of the excavation work. It's very dusty and the sand has turned pretty powdery in places, particularly along the western wall of the canyon. I bogged down twice and got stuck once trying to climb one of the sand berms out of the creek at stock tire pressures (my compressor is an AutoZone cigarette-lighter special, so I try to avoid airing down whenever possible). This wasn't a problem a few weeks ago.

No real mud save one or two puddles, but there're a couple of OK water holes (one natural, one rock-dammed) that're doable stock, some canyon wall climbs, and dry rocky creek beds.

W/out the mud it doesn't sound too exciting for me so I will pass.

I was there on Sunday, it was fun. Not too much mud, but enough to have fun. I found some freak'n big bolders were I managed to lay my XJ over a couple of times on...the last time I snaped my drag-link in half again, I had my spare so in 45min I was up and going again. Then I found a good little rock garden on some of the outskirts of the canyon.

Back