• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle width questions

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
I have tried searching this but not getting what I need. First question is are xj rear axles offset a little? I think they are by my measurements by just a hair over 3/4 of an inch. The reason I ask is I am mocking up my new rear axle wich is also offset a little but by just a little more at 1 inch. The wms is 62 so about 3/4 total more length overall.The offset is more toward the passenger side on the stock axle also on my new axle. Will this cause any kind of issue sure don't want any vibration issues.

Next question is on the width of the front axle.Should the front be slightly wider than the rear to help turning radius?Have to shorten no matter what, just trying to figure out what that measurement needs to be. Or just make it exactly the same as the rear? Sorry for the long winded questions this is my first forte into custom width axles.Thanks guys

the slight offset in the rear pinion is not an accident. its actually a design feature. it will not cause issues to your driveline. :)

correct... front axle should be slightly wider than the rear. but i cant put a value on exactly how much "slightly" is.

the slight offset in the rear pinion is not an accident. its actually a design feature. it will not cause issues to your driveline. :)

correct... front axle should be slightly wider than the rear. but i cant put a value on exactly how much "slightly" is.

Great that's what I was looking for. The rear axle was being built for a custom buggy just wanted to make sure it would work in a xj. The wms on the rear is exactly 62" would you guys just do 62 3/4 like whats close to factory? Or is any wider better?Thanks

A front Dana 60 is around 69.5" and the matching rear is right around 67" as another reference. I don't think you are going to find a standard answer to the question, but I would say somewhere around an inch or two would be fine.

Back