• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swaps...blah blah blah...

Boostwerks.com

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm new here, but I'm not exactly a Newb. I've been reading up on this site for a good 2 months or so, and I keep seeing people bringing up the axle swap questions. What I'm really wondering is...what are truely the limits of the stock D30 front, and 29spl 8.25 rear end, assuming they are both built? I know that with the 8.25 you can only gear as low as 4.56, but how many people are running bigger than a 35" tire? It seems to me, that if these axles are rebuilt with alloy shafts, most people won't have any problems?

TIA,
Bryson

with 35's you gotta start upgrading your stearing and all that good stuff, i say throw some 4.56's in them and run 33's

I've seen guys in texas run up to 37's on a dana 30, but it wasn't exactly long lasting. Some guys ran 36's comfortably, while most run 35's on a dana 30 and an 8.25, which includeds stock shafts. Most guys skip upgrading shafts until they do an axle swap, since it's seen as wasted money.

CRASH said:

I think I've read all of your sticky'd threads about 3 times now...hehe. I was mainly just trying to get a feel for how realistic people felt it was to upgrade to a completely different axle combination VS just building the ones that Jeep put under there. IE...spending say a couple grand building up a 44 to replace a 8.25 when you could have saved a couple thousand by just building the 8.25. But...what it sounds like is that building up the axles doesn't really solve their weak spots...so I think I have my question answered!

BTW, where did you come up with all of that axle information? Just experience over the years, or hear/say from the forums?...ect. I'm not doubting you...Just curious is all... :thumbup:

Bryson said:
I was mainly just trying to get a feel for how realistic people felt it was to upgrade to a completely different axle combination VS just building the ones that Jeep put under there. IE...spending say a couple grand building up a 44 to replace a 8.25 when you could have saved a couple thousand by just building the 8.25. But...what it sounds like is that building up the axles doesn't really solve their weak spots...so I think I have my question answered!
to sack ride a little more - but this time it has a point!

this guy -
meandbrettandronaq5.jpg

HP D30, 4.56:1 gears, Superior Evolution Series Super D30 with Spicer 760 u-joints and full circle clips (30 spline 1.31" DIA inner shafts) with Detroit front
Chrysler 8.25 with 4.56:1 gears and Yukon axle shafts and a powertrax locker.
33" Truxs MT's...

Never broken a shaft

Runs the hammers about 3 times a month duriung the winter...

33''s are perfect for most everything (some will argue that it all depends on how you drive). When it comes time that the size of your tires are what is holding you back then go bigger. Now 35''+ size tires have benifits of course, and IMO look much nicer.

go to www.ericsxj.com and get in contact with him, hes got one of the most built dana30 and 8.25 you will see. locked and on 35s

Back