• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swapping!! 14 bolt questions

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've decided it's time to run some 38" TSL/SX's and the 8.8/D30 just ain't up to the task.

I'm in england so ford trucks are non existant. As are D60's and most other large axles.

So here's the plan, front will be a toyota land cruiser HJ60 (FJ 60 but in RHD) with 4.88's and a detroit out of a pickup. The largest shafts going with birfields. I know the yota guys are running 42's+ on the truck axles and the FJ's have a beefier housing with the same 8" ring gear. Yes the drop is on the wrong side but the axle can be flipped over and the center section simply turned over as the bolts are concentric. Yes the knuckles will be flipped as well.

I have come across a SRW 14 bolt rear out of a 70's K20 so I'm planning on swapping the hubs to the 63" wms version (where to get? part #'s?), (HJ should be 63.5).

PROBLEM!! 6 lug fronts, 8 lug rears. How do I fix that? Trying to change the rear to 6 lug. I have read bits of info about Semi floaters being 6 lug, what's the diff between that and the stock FF??

Any info or needed part numbers would be great.

Thanks all

A friend of mine changed his FF 14 bolt to 5 lug a while ago. He had to remove machine the end of the axle down, and redrill it for 5 lug. According to him, it was a major pain and he would never do it again. Your best option would be to swap the front end over to 8 lug. I am not sure how to do this with the toy front end, but with a dana 44 it is pretty simple.

Ya I've looked around a little, but I have yet to see anyway to change a yota to 8 lug, plus I may have a shot at some iroks on 6 lug wheels.

Come on guys I know it's possible, no one has done it??

Perhaps you could spend some time actually RESEARCHING your next build idea, instead of haphazardly tossing up a post about a new, obviously not thought through, hare-brained build platform proposition.

Note that the the word 'search' is conveniently contained within the word research.

For axles such as 14 bolts and portals you will find many more people with a knowledge at a site like pirate4x4.com, you are required to be a member to use their forum search but can use google and narrow the search results to the pirate domain. There are also a great number of other sites populated with many more people building trucks with 14 bolts and other 1-ton+ 'extreme' gear or maybe even a TOYOTA Forum or 2 that are more likely to get you more and faster answers about these axles and parts.

good luck with the build!

You might think about running spacers. Something to go from the yota 6 lug to the 1 ton 8 lug. it might be easier then dealing with converting the 14bolt to 6 lug.

Thanks Brett, I'll look them up.

Ya thanks a bunch WTF, I read through the first 10 pages of pirate, lots of good 14 bolt info but no one changing the pattern. As for searching on here there are alot of good info about how strong they are but again no one changes the pattern.

Far as this statement "obviously not thought through, hare-brained build platform proposition" this has been well thought through, I've swapped in the only available upgraded rear axle in this country and now I'm going beyond the capabilities of it. If you can think of something better let me know, until then keep you comments to yourself unless you actually have something constructive to ad.

The only other option I see is to order a Spidertrax 9 housing front and rear and build the axles slowly over the summer with a currie hi pinion front and 60 outers. Problem is this route will cost over 2X's as much. Umm wow I guess I did like RESEARCH and stuff!!!

ponyracer1 said:
Far as this statement "obviously not thought through, hare-brained build platform proposition" this has been well thought through,

From last week:
In the 'will a lock-rite fit in an LSD carrier' thread (which a quick search would have answered) where you also mentioned about 4 different axle possibilities:
ponyracer1 said:
37's will be the largest tire to ever go on this truck.

To yesterday's quote:

ponyracer1 said:
I've decided it's time to run some 38" TSL/SX's

In addition to:

this thread where you ask about every basic fuel cell / custom tank question that could have been answered by a quick search: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=902209

then in the mog/ portal thread you mention a C/Yj Hybrid and then discuss the XJ unibody holding up to them towards the end of the thread after you have asked questions about the basic specs that could have been answered by a simple search.:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903242

And right in the top of this thread:
ponyracer1 said:
I have read bits of info about Semi floaters being 6 lug, what's the diff between that and the stock FF??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just ask the difference between a semi-floating and a full-floating rear end???

Please forgive me for having the perception you haven't put much forethought or research into the present proposed build platform, I have no idea where I got that idea from. :dunno:

and as for the topic in question for this week's episode of the ponyracer1 build thread:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=1...arch=www.pirate4x4.com&as_rights=&safe=images

Last edited:
OK all hail the all mighty WTF I'm a retard that changes my mind like the wind and have no idea about anything and also don't know how to spell search let alone use one.

Happy? Now shove off and go bother someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point was not to call you an Idiot, but that maybe you could do a little legwork and research on topics before posting up retarded questions in the advanced fab section.

Then, maybe you would figure out the disadvantages of the setup or the answer to your query for yourself before you even have to post a new thread about every new inkling of an idea for a setup that you have. :D

I applaud your enthusiasm and encourage you to pursue building your truck to be as capable as possible for your intended application. I just think you could stand to do a little more background research on some of the things you post about.

In the long run this will save you time, $$ and a lot of headaches..

Last edited:
Ya I suppose you do have a point. I do get a little ahead of myself sometimes.

Point taken

Now back to the swapping, yes there are ways to swap a 14 bolt to 6 lug. Yes they can easily be made 63" WMS. No a FJ 60 front won't work due to it having a 58.46" wide wms BUT an FJ 80 axle will work due to it being 63.5 WMS. Let the search begin.....

Yes I wish I was in the states where 77 F250's grow on trees but till then neccesity is the mother of invention right?

go to pirate4x4.com

then go to the tech articles

then open somthing called the 14 bolt bible, i have a copy printed out in my shop along with several other articles in a binder.

if im not mistaken theres a semi floating 63" wms 6 lug 14 bolt out there under stock vehicles, dont know if that helps you. buy a redstar on pirate for 20$ and it will be the best 20$ youve ever spent, you can search pirate with a redstar.

The stock dually 14bolt rears are the narrower 63in vs 67in on the SRW.

Full floating rear axles have a large hub that the axle shaft bolts to. the 8 lug rims have a larger center hole to fit over the large hub. 6lug rims do not have as large of a center hole. If you converted the rear to 6lug you would need to make special 6 lug rims with a larger center hole, or remove material from the 14botl hub..

I vote to do spacer wheel adapters on the front. Do 8 lug rims, 17s would be a good choice. the stock H2 rims are aluminum cheap in the aftermarket and if you kept the 14bolt at 67in the rim would make it more narrow. how wide is the frotn axle, how much spacer would it need to get to 67in? 2in spacers/adaptors on each side is the max I would ever consider, the smaller the better.

The front FJ 80 is 63.5 WMS. Haven't seen any adapters yet for 6 to 8 lug. Plus I'm not a real big fan of wheel spacers/adapters anyway. Think I'd rather spend the time/money to mod the rear.

Ya I've read that about 100 times rockxj, as with all of his stuff it's a great source of info. Thanks for posting the link.

If you do decide to look into the spacer/ adapter route, these guys could probably build what you need: http://www.wheeladapter.com/home.asp

If your front has an inch of so more track-width that the rear it won't hurt ya.

Back